using toolset vs toolset=

Boost - Build mailing list
Dear Boost.Build community,

I have an issue when running b2 on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6).

The project builds fine with command:
b2 toolset=clang sample

However, when I put
using clang ;
into ~/site-config.jam file
I'm getting following error:

WARNING: Unable to construct sample/sample of type EXE with these properties:
<asynch-exceptions>off <debug-symbols>on <exception-handling>on
<extern-c-nothrow>off <hardcode-dll-paths>true <host-os>darwin <inlining>off
<install-dependencies>off <link>shared <optimization>off <os>MACOSX <pch>on
<profiling>off <rtti>on <runtime-debugging>on <runtime-link>shared
<stdlib>native
<strip>off <suppress-import-lib>false <symlink-location>project-relative
<target-os>darwin <threading>single <toolset>clang <user-interface>console
<variant>debug <vectorize>off <warnings-as-errors>off <warnings>on
WARNING: Considered these as possible generators:
error: no generators were found for type 'EXE'
error: and the requested properties
error: make sure you've configured the needed tools

--debug-generators did not provide insights to me yet.

Do you have an idea what causes the error and how to fix it?

Regards

Re: using toolset vs toolset=

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 05/30/2018 02:08 AM, Alexander Arhipenko via Boost-build wrote:

> Dear Boost.Build community,
>
> I have an issue when running b2 on Mac OS Sierra (10.12.6).
>
> The project builds fine with command:
> b2 toolset=clang sample
>
> However, when I put
> using clang ;
> into ~/site-config.jam file
> I'm getting following error:
>
> WARNING: Unable to construct sample/sample of type EXE with these properties:
> <snip>
>
> --debug-generators did not provide insights to me yet.
>
> Do you have an idea what causes the error and how to fix it?

  Try --debug-configuration as well.  Also, this
may be related: https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/308
I do notice that the clang version is not listed in
the properties.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: using toolset vs toolset=

Boost - Build mailing list
Hi Steven,

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 3:30 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> AMDG
>
> [snip]
>> WARNING: Unable to construct sample/sample of type EXE with these properties:
>> <snip>
>>
>> --debug-generators did not provide insights to me yet.
>>
>> Do you have an idea what causes the error and how to fix it?
>>

>   Try --debug-configuration as well.  Also, this
> may be related: https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/308
> I do notice that the clang version is not listed in
> the properties.

Thank you for reply.
I have noticed your comment in https://github.com/boostorg/build/issues/308:
> I was testing at $BOOST_ROOT.
> The reason it worked for me is that the top level target stage target is an alias,
> so there's an extra expansion before it gets to anything that actually needs building.

... and added project definition to my Jamroot.jam that was previously empty:
project cvboost : default-build debug;

That solved the problem however I am not 100% sure why.
For your information, difference in properties (site-config.jam vs toolset=)
before making changes to Jamroot was:
<toolset-clang:platform>darwin <toolset-clang:version>4.2.1
The latter 2 was added when invoking b2 with toolset=clang.

Regards