ublas_matrix.hpp

Seth J Waldecker
I checked a version of boost-numeric-bindings from https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/

I have code that uses ublas_matrix.hpp and std_vector.hpp, but I have not been able to find these anywhere in the version that I downloaded. In an older version, these files were found in traits/. Is there reason why they have been removed?

- Seth

Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: ublas_matrix.hpp

Thomas Klimpel-2
Seth J Waldecker wrote:
> I checked a version of boost-numeric-bindings from https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/
>
> I have code that uses ublas_matrix.hpp and std_vector.hpp,
> but I have not been able to find these anywhere in the version that I downloaded.

If you just want to compile code from somebody else which uses an older version of numeric_bindings, then you can use

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings_v1/

instead.

> In an older version, these files were found in traits/. Is there reason why they have been removed?

The newer version is completely redesigned, so there are more significant changes than just removing these files. In the new version, you could include

#include <boost/numeric/bindings/ublas.hpp>
#include <boost/numeric/bindings/std.hpp>

to include all implemented traits for containers from ublas and std library.

Regards,

Thomas Klimpel
Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: ublas_matrix.hpp

Seth J Waldecker
Ok, I will try the includes that you suggested. I also noticed that the atlas bindings appear to be removed. Are they incorporated in some other way, or have they indeed been removed?

Thanks,
Seth

> On May 13, 2015, at 12:01 PM, Thomas Klimpel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Seth J Waldecker wrote:
>> I checked a version of boost-numeric-bindings from https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/
>>
>> I have code that uses ublas_matrix.hpp and std_vector.hpp,
>> but I have not been able to find these anywhere in the version that I downloaded.
>
> If you just want to compile code from somebody else which uses an older version of numeric_bindings, then you can use
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings_v1/
>
> instead.
>

>> In an older version, these files were found in traits/. Is there reason why they have been removed?
>
> The newer version is completely redesigned, so there are more significant changes than just removing these files. In the new version, you could include
>
> #include <boost/numeric/bindings/ublas.hpp>
> #include <boost/numeric/bindings/std.hpp>
>
> to include all implemented traits for containers from ublas and std library.
>

> Regards,
>
> Thomas Klimpel
Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: ublas_matrix.hpp

Thomas Klimpel-2
Seth J Waldecker wrote:
> Ok, I will try the includes that you suggested.

I made a typo. The address is actually

https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1/

> I also noticed that the atlas bindings appear to be removed.
> Are they incorporated in some other way, or have they indeed been removed?

They are still incorporated, only the mechanism is more transparent now:

//
// The BLAS-backend is selected by defining a pre-processor variable,
//  which can be one of
// * for CBLAS, define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CBLAS
// * for CUBLAS, define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CUBLAS
// * netlib-compatible BLAS is the default
//

//
// The LAPACK-backend for gesv is selected by defining a pre-processor
// variable, which can be one of
// * for ATLAS's CLAPACK, define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK
// * netlib-compatible LAPACK is the default
//

Regards,

Thomas Klimpel
Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: ublas_matrix.hpp

Seth J Waldecker
Hi Thomas,
    Thank you for your help. I am still having trouble, though, figuring out how to use the atlas bindings. Are the comments you posted below from a file that comes with the working copy of the repository? Where do I define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK? The older version that I had contained a folder called ‘atlas’, but I can’t find the cblas and clapack .hpp files anywhere in this new version. If I have to revert to the older version, I will, but I would like to stay up to date if possible.

Seth

> On May 13, 2015, at 12:32 PM, Thomas Klimpel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Seth J Waldecker wrote:
>> Ok, I will try the includes that you suggested.
>
> I made a typo. The address is actually
>
> https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings-v1/
>

>> I also noticed that the atlas bindings appear to be removed.
>> Are they incorporated in some other way, or have they indeed been removed?
>
> They are still incorporated, only the mechanism is more transparent now:
>
> //
> // The BLAS-backend is selected by defining a pre-processor variable,
> //  which can be one of
> // * for CBLAS, define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CBLAS
> // * for CUBLAS, define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CUBLAS
> // * netlib-compatible BLAS is the default
> //
>

> //
> // The LAPACK-backend for gesv is selected by defining a pre-processor
> // variable, which can be one of
> // * for ATLAS's CLAPACK, define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK
> // * netlib-compatible LAPACK is the default
> //
>

> Regards,
>
> Thomas Klimpel
Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: ublas_matrix.hpp

Thomas Klimpel-2
Seth J Waldecker wrote:
> Are the comments you posted below from a file that comes with the working copy of the repository?

Yes. The comments are in every file for which a corresponding implementation in Atlas exists. For example in
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/boost/numeric/bindings/blas/level1/asum.hpp
you can find
BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CBLAS
and in
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/numeric_bindings/boost/numeric/bindings/lapack/driver/gesv.hpp
you can find
BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK

> Where do I define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK?

That's up to you. You can define it directly in the source code (i.e. #define BOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CBLAS), before including the numeric_bindings headers. Or you can define it in the makefile (i.e. adding -DBOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_BLAS_CBLAS -DBOOST_NUMERIC_BINDINGS_LAPACK_CLAPACK to the compile options) or wherever your build system put preprocessor macro defines.

> The older version that I had contained a folder called ‘atlas’,
> but I can’t find the cblas and clapack .hpp files anywhere in this new version.

They are in the same file as the corresponding blas/lapack binding. If you include both
boost/numeric/bindings/lapack/blas.hpp
and
boost/numeric/bindings/lapack/lapack.hpp
then you can be sure that they are included, even if I wouldn't really recommend such lazyness.

Regards,

Thomas Klimpel
Sent to: [hidden email]