trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Xavier.Abulker

Hello,
I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and after the command:
bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
I receive the error message:

>> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
    while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
 >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
    while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.

Do you know how I can solve this problem?
It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio 11

Regards

Xavier
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La FIMAT et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite
au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
     ********
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither FIMAT nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered,
changed or falsified.

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

bdbaddog

Hello,
I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and after the command:
bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
I receive the error message:

>> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
    while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
 >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
    while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.

Do you know how I can solve this problem?
It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio 11

I beleive you must use -library=stlport to be able to use BOOST with sun's  compilers. Check sun's compiler forums.
That said I had a lot of trouble and eventually couldn't get around BOOST's regex giving compiler assertions when trying to
build the regex library for boost.

Anyone else have luck?

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

paul.floyd
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> after the command:
> bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> I receive the error message:
>
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing
> /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing
> /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
>
> Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 +
> Studio 11

Hi

To get the most with Studio 11, you need the latest patches and to use
stlport4. In ordr to do that, use

bjam -sTOOLS=sunpro -sSUNPRO_CXX="CC -library=stlport4"

This should get you a sizeable chunk of Boost 1.33.1 built.

The downside is that all the libs and apps must be compiled/linked with
-library=stlport4. The problem is with libCstd which isn't very
standard. Sun cast it in iron some time before they had a standards
conforming (or almost) compiler, and won't ever change it as that would
break existing code.

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that between the next round of Studio
11 patches and the next release of Boost, just about everything will
compile.

The easiest way to check for patches is in the sunstudio IDE,
Help->Check now for updates... Personally, I use Patch Check Advanced (pca).

A+
Paul

Re: [boost] trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Timo Geusch
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> after the command:
> bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> I receive the error message:
>

>>> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>>>
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>
> Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio
> 11

You need the latest set of patches for both the compiler and the back
end - you can download those from SUN.

I've been experimenting with those with a view to run Boost regression
tests on Solaris (10 in my case) and with the latest patchset installed
it will still fail to compile about 60 to 80 targets out of the close to
1300 for the 'stage' target. In my experience this is the best result
for any Sun compiler so far.

As mentioned in the other email it is worth compiling it against stlport
and not the older RogueWave library.

Regards,
Timo

On 1/30/06, Paul Floyd <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> > I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> > after the command:
> > bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> > I receive the error message:
> >
> >  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
> >     while processing
> > /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
> >  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
> >     while processing
> > /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc at line 0.
> >
> > Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> > It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> > (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 +
> > Studio 11
>
> Hi
>
> To get the most with Studio 11, you need the latest patches and to use
> stlport4. In ordr to do that, use
>
> bjam -sTOOLS=sunpro -sSUNPRO_CXX="CC -library=stlport4"
>
> This should get you a sizeable chunk of Boost 1.33.1 built.
>
> The downside is that all the libs and apps must be compiled/linked with
> -library=stlport4. The problem is with libCstd which isn't very
> standard. Sun cast it in iron some time before they had a standards
> conforming (or almost) compiler, and won't ever change it as that would
> break existing code.
>
> I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that between the next round of Studio
> 11 patches and the next release of Boost, just about everything will
> compile.
>
> The easiest way to check for patches is in the sunstudio IDE,
> Help->Check now for updates... Personally, I use Patch Check Advanced (pca).

If found this in the sun forum.
http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sga
Contains a patch to boost 1.33.1 and 1.32.0 to help compiling on sun.

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

Xavier.Abulker

Thank you everybody for you help,
The SUN patch solved my problem.
Regards

Xavier.Abulker@... wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on a Sun Solaris 5.9 Sunpro 11 and
> after the command:
> bjam "-sTOOLS=sunpro" install
> I receive the error message:
>

>>> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>>>
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>  >> Assertion:   (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)
>     while processing /ftx/opt/SUNWspro/prod/include/CC/Cstd/rw/messages.cc
> at line 0.
>
> Do you know how I can solve this problem?
> It looks like Sun has released a patch to solve the error "Assertion:
> (../lnk/init.cc, line 1032)" but I can't find it for solaris 5.9 + Studio
> 11

You need the latest set of patches for both the compiler and the back
end - you can download those from SUN.

I've been experimenting with those with a view to run Boost regression
tests on Solaris (10 in my case) and with the latest patchset installed
it will still fail to compile about 60 to 80 targets out of the close to
1300 for the 'stage' target. In my experience this is the best result
for any Sun compiler so far.

As mentioned in the other email it is worth compiling it against stlport
and not the older RogueWave library.

Regards,
Timo
Ce message et toutes les pieces jointes (ci-apres le "message") sont
confidentiels et etablis a l'intention exclusive de ses destinataires.
La FIMAT et ses filiales declinent toute responsabilite
au titre de ce message s'il a ete altere, deforme ou falsifie.
     ********
This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and
intended solely for the addressees.
E-mails are susceptible to alteration.
Neither FIMAT nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered,
changed or falsified.

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

paul.floyd

> If found this in the sun forum.
> http://blogs.sun.com/roller/page/sga
> Contains a patch to boost 1.33.1 and 1.32.0 to help
compiling on sun.

Very interesting. Can anyone comment as to whether these
changes are going to be integrated to boost? They haven't been
yet (at least in the code that I can browse with the web
interface).

A+
Paul

3615 LAPOSTENET (0,34 €/mn) ; tél : 08 92 68 13 50 (0,34€/mn)

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

bdbaddog
Anyone know how to get bjam to build sun with sunpro 64 bits?

Thanks,
BIll

William Deegan wrote:
> Anyone know how to get bjam to build sun with sunpro 64 bits?

Why? I just built it with gcc. It's not as if it is very performance
critical or needs to access more than four gigs or RAM.

A+
Paul

On 2/1/06, Paul Floyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
> William Deegan wrote:
> > Anyone know how to get bjam to build sun with sunpro 64 bits?

> Why? I just built it with gcc. It's not as if it is very performance
> critical or needs to access more than four gigs or RAM.

Let me clarify.
I'd like to build boost itself with sunpro 64bits.
Our application is built 64bits and thus needs the boost libraries to
be built as such.

Thanks,
Bill

William Deegan wrote:

> On 2/1/06, Paul Floyd <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>William Deegan wrote:
>>
>>>Anyone know how to get bjam to build sun with sunpro 64 bits?
>

>>Why? I just built it with gcc. It's not as if it is very performance
>>critical or needs to access more than four gigs or RAM.
>

> Let me clarify.
> I'd like to build boost itself with sunpro 64bits.
> Our application is built 64bits and thus needs the boost libraries to
> be built as such.

OK, but you'll need to clarify a little more. Is this for a SPARC or AMD
64 system? To cater for either, you'll need the -xarch=generic64 option.
For SPARC only, it's -xarch=v9, for AMD it's -xarch=amd64. There are
other options for -xarch (and -xtarget and -xchip), but these are the
basic ones.

I'm rather new to boost, and I don't know bjam too well. So far I've
seen two ways to pass these options to the compiler:

1. edit tools/build/v1/sunpro-tools.jam and add some lines like
flags sunpro C++FLAGS : -xarch=generic64
flags sunpro LINKFLAGS : -xarch=generic64
2. Use a command line something  like
bjam -sTOOLS=sunpro-sSUNPRO_CXX="CC -library=stlport4 -xarch=generic64"
stage

A+
Paul

Re: trying to install Boost 1.33.1 on Solaris 5.9 + SunStudio 11

bdbaddog

> >>Why? I just built it with gcc. It's not as if it is very performance
> >>critical or needs to access more than four gigs or RAM.
> >

> > Let me clarify.
> > I'd like to build boost itself with sunpro 64bits.
> > Our application is built 64bits and thus needs the boost libraries to
> > be built as such.
>
> OK, but you'll need to clarify a little more. Is this for a SPARC or AMD
> 64 system? To cater for either, you'll need the -xarch=generic64 option.
> For SPARC only, it's -xarch=v9, for AMD it's -xarch=amd64. There are
> other options for -xarch (and -xtarget and -xchip), but these are the
> basic ones.
>
> I'm rather new to boost, and I don't know bjam too well. So far I've
> seen two ways to pass these options to the compiler:
>
> 1. edit tools/build/v1/sunpro-tools.jam and add some lines like
> flags sunpro C++FLAGS : -xarch=generic64
> flags sunpro LINKFLAGS : -xarch=generic64
> 2. Use a command line something  like
> bjam -sTOOLS=sunpro-sSUNPRO_CXX="CC -library=stlport4 -xarch=generic64"
> stage

O.k.
I was hoping there waas something like -sBUILD="<SOMETHING>64 or v9 or
something like that."

Thanks!