[trac] new versions of boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi there,

Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to trac/milestones ?

Thanks!
Raffi

Re: [trac] new versions of boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to trac/milestones ?
>
> Thanks!
> Raffi

Kind reminder.
Thanks

Re: [trac] new versions of boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:07 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
> > Hi there,
> >
> > Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to
> trac/milestones ?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Raffi
>
> Kind reminder.
> Thanks

Admins, please check the admin issues.  This issue has been outstanding for
three weeks.

- Jim

On 11.01.2018 03:07, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
> Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to trac/milestones ?
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Raffi
> Kind reminder.
> Thanks

I really do believe we should deprecate trac and encourage everyone to
use github. I understand that to some, having a single place to file
"boost issues" seems desirable, and for that reason they'd prefer to use
trac. But the reality is different: An increasing number of boost
projects migrate to github, and thus won't even listen to trac issues
any longer. So that boat has sailed already. It's time to acknowledge
that, and not make things worse by maintaining multiple trackers.

Stefan

On 1/11/2018 8:29 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:

> On 11.01.2018 03:07, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>> Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to trac/milestones ?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>> Raffi
>> Kind reminder.
>> Thanks
>
> I really do believe we should deprecate trac and encourage everyone to
> use github. I understand that to some, having a single place to file
> "boost issues" seems desirable, and for that reason they'd prefer to use
> trac. But the reality is different: An increasing number of boost
> projects migrate to github, and thus won't even listen to trac issues
> any longer. So that boat has sailed already. It's time to acknowledge
> that, and not make things worse by maintaining multiple trackers.

I agree with Stefan. But this needs some proactive actions first and
probably some agreement with the Boost Steering Committee:

1) Turn on Issues for every boostorg library in Github
2) Make an announcement on the website that all new bug reports should
be either Issues or PRs on Github.
3) Encourage library authors to either clean up what is already on Trac
or transfer Trac bug reports to Github issues or PRs for eventual handling.
4) Turn off Trac, if possible, for adding any more bug reports.
5) Announce a cutoff time when Trac will no longer be available for Boost.

Having two separate places to deal with bug reports for Boost libraries
is not a good situation and having Github Issues and PRs is a much more
flexible system for dealing with library changes than Trac.

> Stefan

Re: [trac] new versions of boost

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Edward Diener via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/11/2018 8:29 AM, Stefan Seefeld via Boost wrote:

>>> Kind reminder.
>>> Thanks
>>>

>> I really do believe we should deprecate trac and encourage everyone to
>> use github. I understand that to some, having a single place to file
>> "boost issues" seems desirable, and for that reason they'd prefer to use
>> trac. But the reality is different: An increasing number of boost
>> projects migrate to github, and thus won't even listen to trac issues
>> any longer. So that boat has sailed already. It's time to acknowledge
>> that, and not make things worse by maintaining multiple trackers.
>>

> I agree with Stefan. But this needs some proactive actions first and
> probably some agreement with the Boost Steering Committee:
>
> 1) Turn on Issues for every boostorg library in Github
> 2) Make an announcement on the website that all new bug reports should be
> either Issues or PRs on Github.
> 3) Encourage library authors to either clean up what is already on Trac or
> transfer Trac bug reports to Github issues or PRs for eventual handling.
> 4) Turn off Trac, if possible, for adding any more bug reports.
> 5) Announce a cutoff time when Trac will no longer be available for Boost.
>
> Having two separate places to deal with bug reports for Boost libraries is
> not a good situation and having Github Issues and PRs is a much more
> flexible system for dealing with library changes than Trac.

This issue was discussed last year.  Search the email history for it.
Let's not lose focus on the request.
Trac still shows 1.66.0 as pending, and doesn't have an entry for 1.67.0.

- Jim

On 11.01.2018 16:53, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 1:38 PM, Edward Diener via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I really do believe we should deprecate trac and encourage everyone to
>>> use github. I understand that to some, having a single place to file
>>> "boost issues" seems desirable, and for that reason they'd prefer to use
>>> trac. But the reality is different: An increasing number of boost
>>> projects migrate to github, and thus won't even listen to trac issues
>>> any longer. So that boat has sailed already. It's time to acknowledge
>>> that, and not make things worse by maintaining multiple trackers.
>>>
>> I agree with Stefan. But this needs some proactive actions first and
>> probably some agreement with the Boost Steering Committee:
>>
>> 1) Turn on Issues for every boostorg library in Github
>> 2) Make an announcement on the website that all new bug reports should be
>> either Issues or PRs on Github.
>> 3) Encourage library authors to either clean up what is already on Trac or
>> transfer Trac bug reports to Github issues or PRs for eventual handling.
>> 4) Turn off Trac, if possible, for adding any more bug reports.
>> 5) Announce a cutoff time when Trac will no longer be available for Boost.
>>
>> Having two separate places to deal with bug reports for Boost libraries is
>> not a good situation and having Github Issues and PRs is a much more
>> flexible system for dealing with library changes than Trac.
>>

> This issue was discussed last year.  Search the email history for it.
You are referring to
https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2016/12/232002.php, I suppose.
This is a great example of what's wrong with Boost: Boost is living in a
time-loop, and has been for about 10 years. It's about that long since
we migrated to github. However, according to the website
(https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/ModularBoost, referred to by
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/, referred to by
http://www.boost.org/development/bugs.html), this transition is still an
ongoing process. How pathetic is that ?

Proposals how to move forward - even detailed ones such as the above
reply from Edward - are being ignored or shut down, by pointing out that
there is some disagreement. How long are we going to repeat this ? Boost
has the habit of inventing all its own tools. It has even invented its
own version of "Groundhog Day".

Stefan

Re: [trac] new versions of boost

But don't forget that Trac contains a lot of history of past changes that are still useful info today, so don't think of preventing read-access for many years to come.

And the documentation of each library should provide links to Github Issues and PRs, as 'good' libraries have been doing for their Trac items.  (Otherwise people will very probably never find things in the Github history?) Is anyone doing this yet?  And exactly how?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

On 12.01.2018 04:57, Paul A. Bristow via Boost wrote:

> [...]

I have submitted multiple proposals over the years to do just that. The
main idea is to generate a per-project index.html file with all the
relevant info (possibly extracted from `meta/libraries.json` or
somesuch). That process could be put into place for all projects at
once, then each project can make adjustments to tune things to their own
need.
(Note that this also fits in with my other proposal to de-centralize
documentation. But it's a different proposal, and may thus be handled
separately.)

Stefan

Re: [trac] new versions of boost

Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
> Hi there,
>
> Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to trac/milestones ?

Kind reminder.

Thanks!

PS: I would be happy to help in the maintenance of Trac, if needed.

On 17/01/2018 19:24, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
> Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to trac/milestones ?
>
> Kind reminder.

Done.

---
http://www.avg.com

Le 17.01.18 à 20:47, John Maddock via Boost a écrit :

> On 17/01/2018 19:24, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>> Le 02.01.18 à 11:08, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost a écrit :
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Would it be possible to add the next versions of boost to
>>> trac/milestones ?
>>
>> Kind reminder.
>
> Done.

Thanks. Again, if I can help in the maintenance, I would be happy to do so.

Raffi