toolset specific sources with v1?

Roland Schwarz
I am still trying to figure out a way to compile toolset/platform
specific sources with Boost.Build v1.

Can anyone tell me if / how this is possible?

Can anyone tell me if supporting v1 Jamfiles for the boost library is
required, as seemingly v2 supports what I need?

Thank you,
Roland

Re: toolset specific sources with v1?

Rene Rivera
Roland Schwarz wrote:
> I am still trying to figure out a way to compile toolset/platform
> specific sources with Boost.Build v1.
>
> Can anyone tell me if / how this is possible?

You can only change the sources at target declaration time. Which means
that the only kind of choices you can make are not based toolset, but
could be based on the running platform. For example:

dll boost_whatever :
   source.cpp
   [ cond $(NT) : source_w32.cpp : source_nix.cpp ]
   [ unless $(UNIX) : extra_w32.cpp ]
;

For more complicated test you would write your own rule.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Rene Rivera wrote:
> You can only change the sources at target declaration time. Which means
> that the only kind of choices you can make are not based toolset, but
> could be based on the running platform.

After having read through the sources I almost assumed this.

> For more complicated test you would write your own rule.

By adding an additional
DEPENDS all : toolset-lib ;
I assume? Seems a hard way to go, if this would work anyways.

Since you did not comment on my second question about the requirements
to still support version 1 Jamfiles, do you know the proper place to
ask? Should I rather post this question to the devel list?

Roland Schwarz wrote:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
>> You can only change the sources at target declaration time. Which means
>> that the only kind of choices you can make are not based toolset, but
>> could be based on the running platform.
>
> After having read through the sources I almost assumed this.
>
>> For more complicated test you would write your own rule.
>
> By adding an additional
> DEPENDS all : toolset-lib ;
> I assume? Seems a hard way to go, if this would work anyways.

Nope :-) I meant if you want something more complicated than the single
value check that "cond" and "unless" provide you could write your own rule:

rule my_sources ( )
{
   switch $(OS)
   {
     case Linux* : return source_linux.cpp ;
     case *BSD: return source_bsd.cpp ;

And use that instead of cond.

> Since you did not comment on my second question about the requirements
> to still support version 1 Jamfiles, do you know the proper place to
> ask? Should I rather post this question to the devel list?

Yes, the devel list is the place to ask... Make sure to address it as a
1.34 release question. The release manager, Thomas, and Dave are the
likely people that you want the answer from.

--
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything