sync_access_test: Compiler threading support is not turned on

sync_access_test: Compiler threading support is not turned on

Gennadiy Rozental-2
Hi
Can anyone help me figure out what needs to be done to resolve
regressions with sync_access_test.

Several testers report "Compiler threading support is not turned on".
What needs to be changed: my Jamfile of toolset? These include

* all HPUX testers,
* Sandia-Linux-sun / sun-5.9
* Sandia-sun-gcc   / gcc-3.4.6

Also

Sandia-intel-10.0 / intel-linux-10.0

reports
/var/scratch/boost/results/boost/bin.v2/libs/thread/build/intel-linux-10.0/debug/link-static/threading-multi/libboost_thread-il100-mt-d-1_38.a(thread.o)(.text+0x34f):
In function `boost::detail::(anonymous
namespace)::create_current_thread_tls_key()':
../libs/thread/src/pthread/thread.cpp:102: undefined reference to
`pthread_key_create'
... more like this

What the deal here?

Gennadiy

Re: sync_access_test: Compiler threading support is not turned on

Gubenko, Boris
Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
> Several testers report "Compiler threading support is not turned on".
> What needs to be changed: my Jamfile of toolset?

Your Jamfile. You need to specify <threading>multi for this test.

Boris

J.A. Zaratiegui
Gennadiy Rozental escribió:

> Hi
> Can anyone help me figure out what needs to be done to resolve
> regressions with sync_access_test.
>
> Several testers report "Compiler threading support is not turned on".
> What needs to be changed: my Jamfile of toolset? These include
>
> * all HPUX testers,
> * Sandia-Linux-sun / sun-5.9
> * Sandia-sun-gcc   / gcc-3.4.6
>
> Also
>
> Sandia-intel-10.0 / intel-linux-10.0
>
> reports
> /var/scratch/boost/results/boost/bin.v2/libs/thread/build/intel-linux-10.0/debug/link-static/threading-multi/libboost_thread-il100-mt-d-1_38.a(thread.o)(.text+0x34f):
> In function `boost::detail::(anonymous
> namespace)::create_current_thread_tls_key()':
> ../libs/thread/src/pthread/thread.cpp:102: undefined reference to
> `pthread_key_create'
> ... more like this
>
> What the deal here?
>
> Gennadiy

you must add the option -lpthread to gcc, so as to link posix thread library

Best regrads,

Zara

Gubenko, Boris wrote:
> Gennadiy Rozental wrote:
>> Several testers report "Compiler threading support is not turned on".
>> What needs to be changed: my Jamfile of toolset?
>
> Your Jamfile. You need to specify <threading>multi for this test.

1. Can you give me patch by any change?
2. I already depend on /boost/thread//boost_thread. Why doesn't this
part of usage requirements?

Juan Antonio Zaratiegui Vallecillo, a.k.a. Zara wrote:

>> Sandia-intel-10.0 / intel-linux-10.0
>>
>> reports
>> /var/scratch/boost/results/boost/bin.v2/libs/thread/build/intel-linux-10.0/debug/link-static/threading-multi/libboost_thread-il100-mt-d-1_38.a(thread.o)(.text+0x34f):
>> In function `boost::detail::(anonymous
>> namespace)::create_current_thread_tls_key()':
>> ../libs/thread/src/pthread/thread.cpp:102: undefined reference to
>> `pthread_key_create'
>> ... more like this
>>
>> What the deal here?
>
> you must add the option -lpthread to gcc, so as to link posix thread library

Why would I be required to do this? I shouldn't know anything about
platform details.

Gennadiy

Re: sync_access_test: Compiler threading support is not turned on

Gubenko, Boris
Gennadiy,

I'm travelling now. I'll give you a patch next week when I get home.

Thanks,
  Boris

Hi Gennadiy,

attached a patch, tested on HP-UX.

As you can see, I've created a rule test-btl-lib-mt as a clone of rule test-btl-lib with added <threading>multi. I also moved test sync_access_test to a new test-suite "multithreaded_test". I just thought that if you have more tests assuming compiling/linking in MT mode, it is better to have them in a separate test-suite.

If this patch is acceptable to you, I can commit it.

Thanks,
  Boris

Jamfile.v2_patch (2K) Download Attachment

Gubenko, Boris wrote:
> Hi Gennadiy,
>
> attached a patch, tested on HP-UX.
>
> As you can see, I've created a rule test-btl-lib-mt as a clone of rule test-btl-lib with added <threading>multi. I also moved test sync_access_test to a new test-suite "multithreaded_test". I just thought that if you have more tests assuming compiling/linking in MT mode, it is better to have them in a separate test-suite.
>
> If this patch is acceptable to you, I can commit it.

I've checked this in. Thanks a lot.

Though I still do not see why I am required to add <threading> parameter
myself. It should be one of the thread library usage requirements.

Gennadiy

Release Branch Testing is Broken

Gubenko, Boris
/branches/release/status/Jamfile.v2 merged from trunk specifies:

    array/test                  # test-suite array

However, there is no 'boost/libs/array/test' directory in the release branch (there is
such directory in the trunk). It results in release branch testing exiting with:

error:     '../libs/array/test'
error: referred from project at
error:     '.'

In the past, Boost.Array library did not have 'test' directory and associated jamfile and its tests used to be listed in status/Jamfile.v2. It has been fixed in trunk, but not in the release branch.

Boris

Re: Release Branch Testing is Broken

Beman Dawes
On Fri, Jan 2, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Gubenko, Boris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> /branches/release/status/Jamfile.v2 merged from trunk specifies:
>
>    array/test                  # test-suite array
>
> However, there is no 'boost/libs/array/test' directory in the release branch (there is
> such directory in the trunk). It results in release branch testing exiting with:
>
> error:     '../libs/array/test'
> error: referred from project at
> error:     '.'
>
> In the past, Boost.Array library did not have 'test' directory and associated jamfile and its tests used to be listed in status/Jamfile.v2. It has been fixed in trunk, but not in the release branch.

libs/maintainers.txt doesn't list anyone as the maintainer of
Boost.Array, so could you do the necessary merge? I'm swamped and am
also behind a very unreliable internet connection.

Thanks for reporting this,

--Beman

Beman Dawes wrote:
> [...] could you do the necessary merge?