submission

Dan Brown

Hi,

I have a question about submissions.  I have an enhancement, not a fix, for boost::interprocess (win32 native mutex and condition variables as an alternative to emulation).  Ok to just submit the zip or should I open a ticket first?

Thanks.

Dan Brown

Re: submission

Dean Michael Berris
On Fri, Oct 21, 2011 at 10:36 PM, Dan Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question about submissions.  I have an enhancement, not a fix, for boost::interprocess (win32 native mutex and condition variables as an alternative to emulation).  Ok to just submit the zip or should I open a ticket first?

The way I did this with function_input_iterator is by:

1. Getting in touch with the maintainers and working the
implementation out through the mailing list.

2. Preparing the required changes (as patches that can be
submitted/applied to existing code in the repository) which include:

  - The documentation.
  - Tests.
  - The actual code.

3. Wait for the maintainer to merge the changes implying acceptance
and then have it shepherded into a new Boost release.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

--
Dean Michael Berris
http://goo.gl/CKCJX

Re: submission

Christian Holmquist

> I have a question about submissions.  I have an enhancement, not a fix, for
> boost::interprocess (win32 native mutex and condition variables as an
> alternative to emulation).  Ok to just submit the zip or should I open a
> ticket first?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dan Brown

Hi,

see:
http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#effective

i.e., include [Interprocess] in the email topic so maybe the maintainer will
read it.

- Christian

Re: submission

Dan Brown

Helpful, thank you.  Another question.  I may not be able to justify to my employer completing the work to the satisfaction of all tests.  For example, I don't have a working win32 native implementation of sharable and sharable-upgradable mutexes (aka read-write locks, I believe).  Is it worth submitting in such a state in hopes others might be able to contribute, or should I hold off until I have time implement these and get all tests working?