spirit2x speedup

Joel de Guzman-2
Hi Y'all,

Ok, the informal count is in. Heh, not the U.S. race, but
for Spirit2x vs. Spirit2 :-)

I'm getting a 24% speedup in the rule.cpp test when comparing
the old and the new. The syntax and usage is nearly identical.
I haven't optimized yet. Well, ok, I did a bit: converting the
proto transforms into its primitive forms.

Next step: profiling the compiler. Dan, any news in the Fusion
side of things?

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Re: spirit2x speedup

dan marsden
>Next step: profiling the compiler. Dan, any news in the Fusion
>side of things?

I've got some simple compile time tests just built using unix time
and a Makefile. I'm going to try and get Steven's template instantiation
profiler working next, then we need to start thinking about the best
things to try to get some speed ups.

I'll post again when the template instance counter is up and running.

Cheers

Dan

Re: spirit2x speedup

Eric Niebler
Joel de Guzman wrote:
> Hi Y'all,
>
> Ok, the informal count is in. Heh, not the U.S. race, but
> for Spirit2x vs. Spirit2 :-)
>
> I'm getting a 24% speedup in the rule.cpp test when comparing
> the old and the new.

Cool! What do you think accounts for the speed-up? Is this with Proto v4?

Aside: I've just moved xpressive over to Proto v4 on trunk, and I'd like
to delete Proto v2 that lives at boost/xpressive/proto. Unfortunately,
Spirit2 is currently using it. I intend to delete boost/xpressive/proto
for Boost v1.38. Consider yourselves notified. :-)

> The syntax and usage is nearly identical.
> I haven't optimized yet. Well, ok, I did a bit: converting the
> proto transforms into its primitive forms.

Yep, that helps.

> Next step: profiling the compiler. Dan, any news in the Fusion
> side of things?

I'm also interested in any progress made on that front.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing

Re: spirit2x speedup

Hartmut Kaiser
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
> > Hi Y'all,
> >
> > Ok, the informal count is in. Heh, not the U.S. race, but
> > for Spirit2x vs. Spirit2 :-)
> >
> > I'm getting a 24% speedup in the rule.cpp test when comparing
> > the old and the new.
>
> Cool! What do you think accounts for the speed-up? Is this with Proto
> v4?
>
> Aside: I've just moved xpressive over to Proto v4 on trunk, and I'd
> like
> to delete Proto v2 that lives at boost/xpressive/proto. Unfortunately,
> Spirit2 is currently using it. I intend to delete boost/xpressive/proto
> for Boost v1.38. Consider yourselves notified. :-)

Cool plan, but unfortunately from my end not realistic.

> > The syntax and usage is nearly identical.
> > I haven't optimized yet. Well, ok, I did a bit: converting the
> > proto transforms into its primitive forms.
>
> Yep, that helps.
>
> > Next step: profiling the compiler. Dan, any news in the Fusion
> > side of things?
>
> I'm also interested in any progress made on that front.

We need to find ways to convince the compiler vendors to help with
corresponding information generated by the compilers themselves.

Regards Hartmut

Re: spirit2x speedup

Eric Niebler
Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> Eric Niebler wrote:
>>
>> Aside: I've just moved xpressive over to Proto v4 on trunk, and I'd
>> like to delete Proto v2 that lives at boost/xpressive/proto.
>> Unfortunately, Spirit2 is currently using it. I intend to delete
>> boost/xpressive/proto for Boost v1.38. Consider yourselves
>> notified. :-)
>
> Cool plan, but unfortunately from my end not realistic.

Patch attached to the ticket. Let me know if you have any problems with
this, or if you want me to apply it.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing

Re: spirit2x speedup

Hartmut Kaiser
Eric,

> Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> >> Eric Niebler wrote:
> >>
> >> Aside: I've just moved xpressive over to Proto v4 on trunk, and I'd
> >> like to delete Proto v2 that lives at boost/xpressive/proto.
> >> Unfortunately, Spirit2 is currently using it. I intend to delete
> >> boost/xpressive/proto for Boost v1.38. Consider yourselves
> >> notified. :-)
> >
> > Cool plan, but unfortunately from my end not realistic.
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2488
>
> Patch attached to the ticket. Let me know if you have any problems with
> this, or if you want me to apply it.

You leave me speechless. I owe you one!
Sure, please go ahead and apply the patch (I don't think Joel will object as
long as the tests pass).

Many thanks!
Regards Hartmut

Re: spirit2x speedup

Hartmut Kaiser
Eric,

Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

> Eric,

>>> Cool plan, but unfortunately from my end not realistic.
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2488
>>
>> Patch attached to the ticket. Let me know if you have any problems with
>> this, or if you want me to apply it.
>
> You leave me speechless. I owe you one!
> Sure, please go ahead and apply the patch (I don't think Joel will object as
> long as the tests pass).

No problem. You can buy me a beer the next time you see me. :-)
Committed in revision 49658. I got hung up temporarily when I noticed
that many tests were failing on gcc-3.4, but then I noticed that they
were failing before my patch, too. Looks like gcc-3.4 doesn't like
Spirit2. Also, the char_class test is failing on all platforms.

I'll wait a few days for the tests to cycle and merge to release if all
looks good.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing

Re: spirit2x speedup

Joel de Guzman-2
Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

> Eric,

>>> Cool plan, but unfortunately from my end not realistic.
>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2488
>>
>> Patch attached to the ticket. Let me know if you have any problems with
>> this, or if you want me to apply it.
>
> You leave me speechless. I owe you one!
> Sure, please go ahead and apply the patch (I don't think Joel will object as
> long as the tests pass).

No objections here.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Help in porting to 2x [was Re: spirit2x speedup]

Joel de Guzman-2
Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
>> Joel de Guzman wrote:

>> Aside: I've just moved xpressive over to Proto v4 on trunk, and I'd
>> like
>> to delete Proto v2 that lives at boost/xpressive/proto. Unfortunately,
>> Spirit2 is currently using it. I intend to delete boost/xpressive/proto
>> for Boost v1.38. Consider yourselves notified. :-)
>
> Cool plan, but unfortunately from my end not realistic.

Sounds like Hartmut won't have time to port to Spirit 2x. The Spirit 2x
infrastructure is ready. So, I'd like to know if anyone's interested
in helping out with the task of porting over the rest of the Spirit2
code to it. Qi is almost done. Karma and Lex needs to be ported.

Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com
http://spirit.sf.net

Re: spirit2x speedup

Eric Niebler
Joel de Guzman wrote:

> Hartmut Kaiser wrote:

>>> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/ticket/2488
>>>
>>> Patch attached to the ticket. Let me know if you have any problems with
>>> this, or if you want me to apply it.
>>
>> You leave me speechless. I owe you one!
>> Sure, please go ahead and apply the patch (I don't think Joel will object as
>> long as the tests pass).
>
> No objections here.

Spirit's test results were looking ok on trunk so I've merged this
change to the release branch and deleted the old Proto v2 code from both
trunk and release. I'll be keeping an eye on spirit's regression results
on release just to make sure.

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing