serialization support for gcc ?

In the serialization jam file (master), I see:

   <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
with no mention of gcc version number.

gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that
the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?

Thanks

Alain

Re: serialization support for gcc ?

According to the release notes, the oldest gcc that is officially supported is 4.4.7. I would assume that gcc 3.x is definitely not supported.

Cheers,

Matthieu

In the serialization jam file (master), I see:

  <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
with no mention of gcc version number.

gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?

Thanks

Alain

Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Blog: http://blog.audio-tk.com/

Re: serialization support for gcc ?

According to http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_63_0.html, 4.4.7 is the oldest compiler tested on linux, but on Windows, for example, 3.4.5 is mentioned.

I cannot find page with the list of compiler officially supported, and it could be on a per library basis.

Do you have another source of information ?

Cheers

Alain

On 27/02/2017 10:18, Matthieu Brucher via Boost-users wrote:
Hi,

According to the release notes, the oldest gcc that is officially supported is 4.4.7. I would assume that gcc 3.x is definitely not supported.

Cheers,

Matthieu

In the serialization jam file (master), I see:

  <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
with no mention of gcc version number.

gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?

Thanks

Alain

Information System Engineer, Ph.D.
Blog: http://blog.audio-tk.com/

Re: serialization support for gcc ?

By the way, I get the option even if I comment out that specific line.

Any idea why ?

Thanks

On 27/02/2017 10:15, Alain Miniussi via Boost-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the serialization jam file (master), I see:
>
>   <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden
> -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
> with no mention of gcc version number.
>
> gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that
> the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alain

Re: serialization support for gcc ?

Boost - Users mailing list
Sorry, I missed one.

On 27/02/2017 11:41, Alain Miniussi wrote:

> By the way, I get the option even if I comment out that specific line.
>
> Any idea why ?
>
> Thanks
>

> On 27/02/2017 10:15, Alain Miniussi via Boost-users wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the serialization jam file (master), I see:
>>
>>   <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden
>> -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
>> with no mention of gcc version number.
>>
>> gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that
>> the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alain

Re: serialization support for gcc ?

Boost - Users mailing list
Still, I'm curious: why is serialization the only library using that
option (on both archives and shared lib) ?

Also, is there syntax to limit the application of:

<toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"

starting with a specific gcc version ?

Cheers
Alain

On 2/27/2017 9:26 AM, Alain Miniussi via Boost-users wrote:
> Still, I'm curious: why is serialization the only library using that
> option (on both archives and shared lib) ?
>
> Also, is there syntax to limit the application of:
>
> <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
>
> starting with a specific gcc version ?

The predef library can be used to limit the application of any Boost
Build properties based on minimum versions.

On 2/27/17 1:15 AM, Alain Miniussi via Boost-users wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In the serialization jam file (master), I see:
>
>   <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
> with no mention of gcc version number.
>
> gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that
> the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Alain

a) I don't know which is the earliest version of gcc to support visibility.

b) Even if I did, I don't know what boost build syntax I would use to
specify this. - I've only been using boost build for 13 years.

c) FWIW I've never supported gcc versions 3.XX.  There a number of
issues such as support for wide characters.

d) If you want to suggest changes to jam files, I'll probably include
them without testing them myself.  So before submitting them, I'd
appreciate it if you could run the serialization library tests yourself
first.

Robert Ramey

On 27/02/2017 17:06, Robert Ramey via Boost-users wrote:

> On 2/27/17 1:15 AM, Alain Miniussi via Boost-users wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In the serialization jam file (master), I see:
>>
>>   <toolset>gcc:<cxxflags>"-fvisibility=hidden
>> -fvisibility-inlines-hidden"
>> with no mention of gcc version number.
>>
>> gcc-3.4.4, for one, does not support that option. Does that mean that
>> the serialization library does not support the gcc-3.x serie ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Alain
>
> a) I don't know which is the earliest version of gcc to support
> visibility.
>
> b) Even if I did, I don't know what boost build syntax I would use to
> specify this. - I've only been using boost build for 13 years.
>
> c) FWIW I've never supported gcc versions 3.XX.  There a number of
> issues such as support for wide characters.
>
> d) If you want to suggest changes to jam files, I'll probably include
> them without testing them myself.  So before submitting them, I'd
> appreciate it if you could run the serialization library tests
> yourself first.
Well, I did a local test removing the feature, the lib itself builds but
the test fails massively, so I think it's probably safer not to touch it
and assume it's not supported. Site stuck with 3.xx should probably
stick to old version of boost I guess.
Specially considering I have been using boost build only when I really
had to and still haven't found its documentation.

Alain