[review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
The boost formal review for JSON will take place from Sept 14, 2020 to Sept
23, 2020.

JSON is authored by Vinnie Falco (author: boost beast and Static String),
Krystian Stasiowski(author: Static String) and submitted with of Peter
Dimov(author: Too many libraries to mention 😛)

The use of JSON format to share the data is getting bigger and wider
because it is lightweight and it's supported cross-platform and many more.
JSON has numbers of uses and to make our life easy to deal with it in C++
this library is introduced.

Documentation can be found here:
<http://vinniefalco.github.io/doc/json/>

It includes examples, usage and comparison. Documentation is still under
progress but still provides enough information.

Official repository:
<https://github.com/CPPAlliance/json>

Glad to address any questions or issues, here or in the repo:
<https://github.com/CPPAlliance/json/issues/>

The purpose of this announcement is to give people some time to start
looking at the documentation and source code for the library. Feel free
to begin asking questions. Most of all, get involved! Nowadays most of
us(assuming) would have dealt with the JSON in one way or another. Tell the
Boost community what you think of JSON.

--
Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari, https://lpranam.github.io/

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
Pranam, thank you very much for volunteering to act as review manager.

One small point, this is a better documentation link as it is automatically
generated from the _master_ branch, so it will always be synchronized:

<http://master.json.cpp.al/>

Thanks!

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, 7 Sep 2020 at 20:14, Vinnie Falco via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pranam, thank you very much for volunteering to act as review manager.
>
> One small point, this is a better documentation link as it is automatically
> generated from the _master_ branch, so it will always be synchronized:
>
> <http://master.json.cpp.al/>

Vinnie,

Do you want to replace the docs URL here, with the master.json.cpp.al ?
https://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 12:56 AM Mateusz Loskot via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Do you want to replace the docs URL here, with the master.json.cpp.al ?
> https://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html

Yes, I think that would be best - appreciated.

Regards

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, 8 Sep 2020 at 12:46, Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 8, 2020 at 12:56 AM Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Do you want to replace the docs URL here, with the master.json.cpp.al ?
> > https://www.boost.org/community/review_schedule.html
>
> Yes, I think that would be best - appreciated.

Done

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
pon., 7 wrz 2020 o 19:48 Pranam Lashkari via Boost <[hidden email]>
napisał(a):

> The boost formal review for JSON will take place from Sept 14, 2020 to Sept
> 23, 2020.
>
> JSON is authored by Vinnie Falco (author: boost beast and Static String),
> Krystian Stasiowski(author: Static String) and submitted with of Peter
> Dimov(author: Too many libraries to mention 😛)
>
> The use of JSON format to share the data is getting bigger and wider
> because it is lightweight and it's supported cross-platform and many more.
> JSON has numbers of uses and to make our life easy to deal with it in C++
> this library is introduced.
>
> Documentation can be found here:
> <http://vinniefalco.github.io/doc/json/>
>
> It includes examples, usage and comparison. Documentation is still under
> progress but still provides enough information.
>
> Official repository:
> <https://github.com/CPPAlliance/json>
>
>
Thank you for the heads up. The repo has two branches (master and develop)
which one is going to be reviewed?

Regards,
&rzej;


> Glad to address any questions or issues, here or in the repo:
> <https://github.com/CPPAlliance/json/issues/>
>
> The purpose of this announcement is to give people some time to start
> looking at the documentation and source code for the library. Feel free
> to begin asking questions. Most of all, get involved! Nowadays most of
> us(assuming) would have dealt with the JSON in one way or another. Tell the
> Boost community what you think of JSON.
>
> --
> Thank you,
> Pranam Lashkari, https://lpranam.github.io/
>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe & other changes:
> http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
>

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, Sep 10, 2020 at 4:46 AM Andrzej Krzemienski via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thank you for the heads up. The repo has two branches (master and develop)
> which one is going to be reviewed?
>

The _master_ branch will be reviewed. Note that we will very likely be
making improvements until just before the review starts!

Thanks

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, Sep 7, 2020 at 10:49 AM Pranam Lashkari via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> The boost formal review for JSON will take place from Sept 14, 2020 to Sept
> 23, 2020.
>

I updated the master branch for the last time and the docs should finish
building shortly, pencils down now.

Thanks

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [review][JSON] Boost.JSON Review starts Sept 14

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
I vote to accept Boost.JSON. I spent a couple of hours reading the
documentation and some of the source code. I dug into some of the
implementation details, it's all high quality C++.

DOCUMENTATION

The documentation is generally excellent. It would be nice if the main page
includes a link to the GitHub repo.

DESIGN

The design is intuitive and beginner-friendly. At the same time, I
appreciate the intricacies of designing a simple interface that is also
fast. I especially appreciate that the authors have not fallen into the
policy-based design trap. This is perhaps the main reason why the interface
is so clean.

There is no reason why the "non-standalone" version of Boost.JSON is not
able to communicate errors in terms of std::error_code via additional
overloads. The same may be true about other Boost components that are also
available in C++17, but I appreciate that this may not not be quite as
straight-forward as supporting std::error_code.

IMPLEMENTATION

I dislike putting documentation inline with source code a-la doxygen. If I
want to read the documentation, I'd read the documentation, and if I don't
it just gets in the way of reading C++. Other than that, it's well written.
It is obvious that a lot of thought went into naming things correctly,
which I appreciate.

I didn't try using the cmake build, but running the tests by simply
invoking b2 did not work; I had to specify cxxstd=11 by hand. This should
be fixed.

In conclusion, I'm looking forward to refactoring my code base to use
Boost.JSON if it is accepted (it currently uses jsmn which I've wrapped in
a thin layer of C++).

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost