[release] Starting 1.65.1

12

[release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hello all,

As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release. This release
should only include fixes and documentation changes, and please keep
your changes to a minimum - I'm not looking for any minor changes,
such as compiler warning fixes.

If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
know the commit hash. Otherwise, please create a branch from the
boost-1.65.0 tag called 'fixes/1.65' and cherry pick the required
changes onto that branch. All changes should already be included in
both your develop and master branches. If a commit doesn't cleanly
apply, then we'll have to work something out, but please try to avoid
that. If you want any help with this, let me know.

The quickbook file for the release notes is at:

https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history/boost_1_65_1.qbk

I'll set a schedule in the next few days, but I want to get the
changes finalised as soon as possible, so don't wait around, I think
it will have to be pretty tight.

thanks for you help,

Daniel

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
Le 28/08/2017 à 01:39, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :
> Hello all,
>
> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release. This release
> should only include fixes and documentation changes, and please keep
> your changes to a minimum - I'm not looking for any minor changes,
> such as compiler warning fixes.
>
> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
> know the commit hash.

Hi, please, could you incorporate

Thread patch 1]
   *
[@/patches/1_65_0/0004-thread-130-Bug-in-boost-condition_variable-on-Window.patch
Thread patch 2]

Best,
Vicente

> Otherwise, please create a branch from the
> boost-1.65.0 tag called 'fixes/1.65' and cherry pick the required
> changes onto that branch. All changes should already be included in
> both your develop and master branches. If a commit doesn't cleanly
> apply, then we'll have to work something out, but please try to avoid
> that. If you want any help with this, let me know.
>
> The quickbook file for the release notes is at:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history/boost_1_65_1.qbk
>
> I'll set a schedule in the next few days, but I want to get the
> changes finalised as soon as possible, so don't wait around, I think
> it will have to be pretty tight.
>
> thanks for you help,
>
> Daniel

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

> Hello all,
>
> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release. This release
> should only include fixes and documentation changes, and please keep
> your changes to a minimum - I'm not looking for any minor changes,
> such as compiler warning fixes.
>
> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
> know the commit hash. Otherwise, please create a branch from the
> boost-1.65.0 tag called 'fixes/1.65' and cherry pick the required
> changes onto that branch. All changes should already be included in
> both your develop and master branches. If a commit doesn't cleanly
> apply, then we'll have to work something out, but please try to avoid
> that. If you want any help with this, let me know.
>
> The quickbook file for the release notes is at:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history
> /boost_1_65_1.qbk
>
> I'll set a schedule in the next few days, but I want to get the
> changes finalised as soon as possible, so don't wait around, I think
> it will have to be pretty tight.
>
> thanks for you help,
>
> Daniel

Hi,

could you you add following commits:

boost.context:
- https://github.com/boostorg/context/commit/420554fe9ac014829
90e8ae314f4f7ba81010c9a

boost.fiber:
- https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/63f1041f0e484e64dec
437a0fa780ea2463abda2
-
<https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/63f1041f0e484e64dec437a0fa780ea2463abda2>
https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/440c7f799ae2e5a7718e5126d5b982bbd656cb72

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Le 28.08.17 à 01:39, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :

> Hello all,
>
> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release. This release
> should only include fixes and documentation changes, and please keep
> your changes to a minimum - I'm not looking for any minor changes,
> such as compiler warning fixes.
>
> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
> know the commit hash. Otherwise, please create a branch from the
> boost-1.65.0 tag called 'fixes/1.65' and cherry pick the required
> changes onto that branch. All changes should already be included in
> both your develop and master branches. If a commit doesn't cleanly
> apply, then we'll have to work something out, but please try to avoid
> that. If you want any help with this, let me know.
>
> The quickbook file for the release notes is at:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history/boost_1_65_1.qbk
>
> I'll set a schedule in the next few days, but I want to get the
> changes finalised as soon as possible, so don't wait around, I think
> it will have to be pretty tight.
>
> thanks for you help,

Hi,

For the release notes, I suggest taking the one of boost 1.65 and add a
section "Changes since 1.65.0" for the point release.

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 28 August 2017 at 10:19, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> For the release notes, I suggest taking the one of boost 1.65 and add a
> section "Changes since 1.65.0" for the point release.

We have separate release notes for point releases, so that download
links and things like that work, and also because that's how other
releases have been handled. But I copied in the 1.65.0 release notes,
you can see them here:

http://www.boost.org/users/history/in_progress.html

Ignore the 1.66.0 skeleton release notes at the bottom, that page
displays all the 'in progress' releases and I never put any effort
into formatting it.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

On 28 August 2017 at 07:07, Oliver Kowalke via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
The fiber commit is fine, but the context commit has the same problem
as thread - it will pull in the previous changes as well. So I need a
branch with the appropriate commits cherry-picked. I'll do it if you
want.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

> On 28 August 2017 at 07:07, Oliver Kowalke via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > could you you add following commits:
> >
> > boost.context:
> > - https://github.com/boostorg/context/commit/420554fe9ac014829
> > 90e8ae314f4f7ba81010c9a
> >
> > boost.fiber:
> > - https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/63f1041f0e484e64dec
> > 437a0fa780ea2463abda2
> > -
> > <https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/63f1041f0e484e64dec437a0fa780e
> a2463abda2>
> > https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/440c7f799ae2e5a7718e5126d5b982
> bbd656cb72
>
> The fiber commit is fine, but the context commit has the same problem
> as thread - it will pull in the previous changes as well. So I need a
> branch with the appropriate commits cherry-picked. I'll do it if you
> want.

OK, that would be fine.
ty

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
Can we also do https://github.com/boostorg/thread/commit/39c23ddf5a3082d76ebda107dce02fb86e948cd4
 It fixes an outstanding deadlock issue.

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 9:01 AM, Oliver Kowalke via Boost

>> On 28 August 2017 at 07:07, Oliver Kowalke via Boost
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > could you you add following commits:
>> >
>> > boost.context:
>> > - https://github.com/boostorg/context/commit/420554fe9ac014829
>> > 90e8ae314f4f7ba81010c9a
>> >
>> > boost.fiber:
>> > - https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/63f1041f0e484e64dec
>> > 437a0fa780ea2463abda2
>> > -
>> > <https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/63f1041f0e484e64dec437a0fa780e
>> a2463abda2>
>> > https://github.com/boostorg/fiber/commit/440c7f799ae2e5a7718e5126d5b982
>> bbd656cb72
>>
>> The fiber commit is fine, but the context commit has the same problem
>> as thread - it will pull in the previous changes as well. So I need a
>> branch with the appropriate commits cherry-picked. I'll do it if you
>> want.
>>

> OK, that would be fine.
> ty

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

On 28/08/2017 00:39, Daniel James via Boost wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release. This release
> should only include fixes and documentation changes, and please keep
> your changes to a minimum - I'm not looking for any minor changes,
> such as compiler warning fixes.
>
> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
> know the commit hash. Otherwise, please create a branch from the
> boost-1.65.0 tag called 'fixes/1.65' and cherry pick the required
> changes onto that branch. All changes should already be included in
> both your develop and master branches. If a commit doesn't cleanly
> apply, then we'll have to work something out, but please try to avoid
> that. If you want any help with this, let me know.

I've had a request for this PR:
https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/175 to be included as without it
the next CUDA release won't compile Boost as the meaning of
__CUDACC_VER__ has changed in a non-backwards compatible way :(

It would need to be cherry picked to a branch I'm afraid.

Thanks, John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

On 28 August 2017 at 16:09, Gary Furnish via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Can we also do https://github.com/boostorg/thread/commit/39c23ddf5a3082d76ebda107dce02fb86e948cd4
>  It fixes an outstanding deadlock issue.

Sorry, but support for the new Visual C++ release seems like a fairly
large job that is best handled in the next full release.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

On 28 August 2017 at 17:51, John Maddock via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've had a request for this PR: https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/175
> to be included as without it the next CUDA release won't compile Boost as
> the meaning of __CUDACC_VER__ has changed in a non-backwards compatible way
> :(
>
> It would need to be cherry picked to a branch I'm afraid.

Go ahead. I'm considerably more lax about this change as it only
affects CUDA users.

Didn't someone say something about the Visual C++ version check? That
seems like something that's simple enough to fix quickly in this
release.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

> Hello all,
>
> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release.
<...>
> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
> know the commit hash.

Please merge all the Stacktrace changes from master branch up to
https://github.com/boostorg/stacktrace/commit/af78623e8a525f28830289da7e7d5e7fafac062e
Master branch contains multiple fixes for builds and installation.

I do hope to provide a fix for FreeBSD on time. If that happens I'll
give an additional note.

Antony Polukhin

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 28 August 2017 at 20:45, Antony Polukhin via Boost

>> Hello all,
>>
>> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release.
> <...>
>> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me
>> know the commit hash.
>
> Please merge all the Stacktrace changes from master branch up to
> https://github.com/boostorg/stacktrace/commit/af78623e8a525f28830289da7e7d5e7fafac062e
> Master branch contains multiple fixes for builds and installation.

OK. IMO the '.pp' problem should be fixed in the build system, but
it's too late for that.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 11:29 AM, Daniel James via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 28 August 2017 at 16:09, Gary Furnish via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Can we also do https://github.com/boostorg/thread/commit/39c23ddf5a3082d76ebda107dce02fb86e948cd4
>>  It fixes an outstanding deadlock issue.
>
> Sorry, but support for the new Visual C++ release seems like a fairly
> large job that is best handled in the next full release.
I don't need it personally need it put in, but it likely effects all
versions using the windows API.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Daniel James wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> As no one objected, I'm starting work on a point release. This release
> should only include fixes and documentation changes, and please keep your
> changes to a minimum - I'm not looking for any minor changes, such as
> compiler warning fixes.
>
> If I can cleanly incorporate changes from your master branch, let me know
> the commit hash.

I have just received a request to incorporate

https://github.com/boostorg/smart_ptr/pull/40

into 1.65.1, which seems reasonable. That's commit

https://github.com/boostorg/smart_ptr/commit/10c6233029b1766bd9c58499ca42c855020708cd

which, in addition to the PR, also contains a few trivial fixes for the new
MSVC version, but this should be OK.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 28 August 2017 at 22:49, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have just received a request to incorporate
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/smart_ptr/pull/40
>
> into 1.65.1, which seems reasonable. That's commit
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/smart_ptr/commit/10c6233029b1766bd9c58499ca42c855020708cd
>
> which, in addition to the PR, also contains a few trivial fixes for the new
> MSVC version, but this should be OK.

OK, but please just say which changes you want to include.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
Daniel James wrote:

> On 28 August 2017 at 22:49, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I have just received a request to incorporate
> >
> > https://github.com/boostorg/smart_ptr/pull/40
> >
> > into 1.65.1, which seems reasonable. That's commit
> >
> > https://github.com/boostorg/smart_ptr/commit/10c6233029b1766bd9c58499ca42c855020708cd
> >
> > which, in addition to the PR, also contains a few trivial fixes for the
> > new MSVC version, but this should be OK.
>
> OK, but please just say which changes you want to include.

I want the superproject to point to commit
10c6233029b1766bd9c58499ca42c855020708cd. Sorry if this wasn't clear.

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:21 AM, Daniel James via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> OK, but please just say which changes you want to include.

Can we please do something about "Unknown compiler version - please
run configure tests and report the result" when using the latest
Visual Studio update?

Thanks!

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 29/08/2017 17:56, Vinnie Falco via Boost wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 2:21 AM, Daniel James via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> OK, but please just say which changes you want to include.
> Can we please do something about "Unknown compiler version - please
> run configure tests and report the result" when using the latest
> Visual Studio update?

That should have been fixed in the 1.65.0 release anyway?

John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [release] Starting 1.65.1

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 10:07 AM, John Maddock via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That should have been fixed in the 1.65.0 release anyway?

When I do

git fetch upstream
git checkout master
git submodule update

after updating my Visual Studio, I get the visualc.hpp warnings
"Unknown compiler version"

Thanks

12