[release] Master branch now closed for 1.75.0 release

[release] Master branch now closed for 1.75.0 release

Re: [release] Master branch now closed for 1.75.0 release

Boost - Dev mailing list

> On 3. Dec 2020, at 07:40, Marshall Clow via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

I request merging a last-minute bug-fix for Histogram, implemented in these three patches:

https://github.com/boostorg/histogram/commit/e6c2014897d12b2108043cb9cb758ea8b4ca9b74
https://github.com/boostorg/histogram/commit/5bd5bfb978df5f345518d2444d8f2ddba849d8d6
https://github.com/boostorg/histogram/commit/6b67e647c9cbd9d1a053df2647b876996076e14b

The first patch implements the fix and some tests, the second patch adds more tests, the third patch updates the changelog.

The fix was tested on various versions of gcc and clang and msvc with my own suite of unit tests. It is unlikely to cause any breakage. Fixing the wrong behaviour in the upcoming release is very important to me.

Best regards,
Hans

On Monday, December 7, 2020, Hans Dembinski  wrote:

> I request merging a last-minute bug-fix for Histogram, implemented in
> these three patches:
>

> The fix was tested on various versions of gcc and clang and msvc with my
> own suite of unit tests. It is unlikely to cause any breakage. Fixing the
> wrong behaviour in the upcoming release is very important to me.

Hi Hans,

The release candidate is being promoted to the release tomorrow, and the
release date is Dec 9. So unfortunately it is too late to get this into
1.75. (If a critical issue arises that requires a new release candidate,
that is a different matter, and we would delay the release accordingly.)

What we can do is put an official patch for Histogram on boost.org/patches
and highlight this in the release notes for 1.75.

Glen

Re: [release] Master branch now closed for 1.75.0 release

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Glen,

> The release candidate is being promoted to the release tomorrow, and the release date is Dec 9. So unfortunately it is too late to get this into 1.75. (If a critical issue arises that requires a new release candidate, that is a different matter, and we would delay the release accordingly.)
>
> What we can do is put an official patch for Histogram on boost.org/patches and highlight this in the release notes for 1.75.

first of all, sorry that this came so late, but it can't be helped, the bug was discovered late.

The question is whether this is a "critical issue", right? I think that getting wrong numerical results in a software that is used in science and industry to make data-based decisions may be considered critical. On the other hand, one could argue that the behaviour that the patch changes was not explicitly specified before - it is now. Nevertheless, numerical results are going to change for clients that used the affected functionality. The bug was discovered by one of my students. It changed some of our scientific results.

I cannot decide whether this is critical enough to justify a new release candidate, because that decision has to factor in the costs. From my perspective, not fixing the bug in Histogram means that the wrong behaviour will remain in place for three more months, potentially affecting and angering more users when the behaviour will finally change in 1.76 (assuming that not many (new) users are going to check boost.org/patches). It the cost of delaying the release by a few days, I think it is worth it. If the cost involved is very large, then publishing the patch on http://boost.org/patches is a feasible solution, sure.

Best regards,
Hans

On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 4:53 AM Hans Dembinski <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Glen,
> first of all, sorry that this came so late, but it can't be helped, the bug was discovered late.

No problem; in fact it's quite normal.

> The question is whether this is a "critical issue", right? I think that getting wrong numerical results in a software that is used in science and industry to make data-based decisions may be considered critical. On the other hand, one could argue that the behaviour that the patch changes was not explicitly specified before - it is now. Nevertheless, numerical results are going to change for clients that used the affected functionality. The bug was discovered by one of my students. It changed some of our scientific results.

Was this issue in algorithm::reduce introduced now (i.e. wasn't
present in 1.74)? If not, since which Boost release has it been
present?

> I cannot decide whether this is critical enough to justify a new release candidate, because that decision has to factor in the costs. From my perspective, not fixing the bug in Histogram means that the wrong behaviour will remain in place for three more months, potentially affecting and angering more users when the behaviour will finally change in 1.76 (assuming that not many (new) users are going to check boost.org/patches). It the cost of delaying the release by a few days, I think it is worth it. If the cost involved is very large, then publishing the patch on http://boost.org/patches is a feasible solution, sure.

Not many users check /patches without encouragement, but users read
the release notes and at the very top of the 1.75 release notes would
be a warning (emboldened if necessary) to patch Histogram, with a link
to the file on /patches

Glen

Re: [release] Master branch now closed for 1.75.0 release

Boost - Dev mailing list
> On 8. Dec 2020, at 15:34, Glen Fernandes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Dec 8, 2020 at 4:53 AM Hans Dembinski <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Was this issue in algorithm::reduce introduced now (i.e. wasn't
> present in 1.74)? If not, since which Boost release has it been
> present?

The problem was introduced on Friday Jan 31, 20202, so has been around since Boost-1.73.

>> I cannot decide whether this is critical enough to justify a new release candidate, because that decision has to factor in the costs. From my perspective, not fixing the bug in Histogram means that the wrong behaviour will remain in place for three more months, potentially affecting and angering more users when the behaviour will finally change in 1.76 (assuming that not many (new) users are going to check boost.org/patches). It the cost of delaying the release by a few days, I think it is worth it. If the cost involved is very large, then publishing the patch on http://boost.org/patches is a feasible solution, sure.
>
> Not many users check /patches without encouragement, but users read
> the release notes and at the very top of the 1.75 release notes would
> be a warning (emboldened if necessary) to patch Histogram, with a link
> to the file on /patches

Ok. Many consumers use Boost Histogram through its Python wrapper and we can fix the bug there anyway (the Python wrapper is a separate project not tied to the Boost release cycle).