[release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

12

[release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <https://www.boost.org/development/>

— Marshall

P.S Doc changes and test changes do NOT require release manager approval to be merged.

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 3/16/21 11:24 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <https://www.boost.org/development/>

I would like to merge Boost.Parameter develop to master:

https://github.com/boostorg/parameter/compare/master...develop

The changes are:

- Added cxxstd metadata (https://github.com/boostorg/parameter/pull/107)
- Added a workaround for MSVC 2015 code miscompilation related to rvalue
references (https://github.com/boostorg/parameter/pull/109)
- Added readme file.
- CI updates.
- Minor test fixes (added a missing include and changed Boost.Bind
include to silence deprecated warnings).

CI tests have passed.

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list

> On 3/16/21 11:24 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <https://www.boost.org/development/>

I would like to merge critical fixes implemented in Boost.Histogram develop to master:

https://github.com/boostorg/histogram/compare/master...develop

The change:

`accumulators::mean` and `accumulators::weighted_mean` now compute the correct variance when `operator+=` is called, for example, when histograms with accumulators are added; this was wrong before leading to too small variances

Unit tests were rewritten to catch this error and do have a more clear structure. Comments were added to code and some doxygen strings fixed. CI tests have passed.

Best regards,
Hans

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

On 3/16/21 11:24 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <https://www.boost.org/development/>

I would like to merge the following fix to Boost.Detail master:

https://github.com/boostorg/detail/commit/131208d8ccd82ef69afb9cf0bad1a314bd931d88

Fixes a potential out-of-bounds access in utf8_codecvt_facet::do_length.

CI tests have passed.

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 21:25, Marshall Clow via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <
> https://www.boost.org/development/>
>
> — Marshall
>
> P.S Doc changes and test changes do NOT require release manager approval
> to be merged.

Pleas be advised. property_tree fixes and CI merged to master.

PR pending on the website repo with corresponding release notes.

Richard Hodges
[hidden email]
office: +44 2032 898 513
home: +376 861 195
mobile: +376 380 212

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
> P.S Doc changes and test changes do NOT require release manager approval to be merged.

I have merged the latest beast develop onto master to capture some
CI/testing updates.

One of the commits in there is a bugfix for MSVC for which I
understand I should have sought approval first.

My apologies for the inadvertent break in protocol.

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Go ahead.

> [...]

> Best regards,
> Hans

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Go ahead.

> On Mar 17, 2021, at 5:02 AM, Andrey Semashev via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 3/16/21 11:24 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
>> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <https://www.boost.org/development/>
>
> I would like to merge the following fix to Boost.Detail master:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/detail/commit/131208d8ccd82ef69afb9cf0bad1a314bd931d88
>
> Fixes a potential out-of-bounds access in utf8_codecvt_facet::do_length.

I've had a request to merge these new Boost.Config feature checks to
release as Serialization depends on them:
https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/369

Technically it's a new feature and should be out of the scope of merging
at this time, but as it effects nothing else I hope it should be low risk.

Also related to Serialization, this bugfix for BOOST_HAS_HASH should
probably go in: https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/374.

Note that these only impact the serialization *tests*, library user
experience is unaffected.  So we could probably live with this as it is
and not merge at this time if needs be.

Thanks, John.

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

On Tue, Mar 16, 2021 at 1:25 PM Marshall Clow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

I'd like to merge Boost.JSON develop to master which contains
Necessary Fixes from Very Reliable Sources

<https://github.com/boostorg/json/commits/develop>

<https://github.com/boostorg/json/commits/master>

Thanks

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 2:10 PM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I'd like to merge Boost.JSON develop to master which contains
> Necessary Fixes from Very Reliable Sources

So yeah, about that merge...

Thanks

John Maddock wrote:
> I've had a request to merge these new Boost.Config feature
> checks to release as Serialization depends on them:
> https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/369

> Also related to Serialization, this bugfix for BOOST_HAS_HASH should
> probably go in: https://github.com/boostorg/config/pull/374.

OK to merge both.

Glen

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

> On 16. Mar 2021, at 21:24, Marshall Clow via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <https://www.boost.org/development/>

I would like to again merge Boost.Histogram develop to master:

https://github.com/boostorg/histogram/compare/master...develop

Apart from Peter's whitespace change this includes the following bug-fix:

- detection of weight support in user-defined accumulators was broken at compile-time if accumulator used `operator+=` instead of `operator()`

Best regards,
Hans

On 16/03/2021 20:24, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

I would like to fix https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/249 by
improving the logic at
https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/convert.hpp#L35
please.

Niall

On Mar 25, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/03/2021 20:24, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> I would like to fix https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/249 by
> improving the logic at
> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/convert.hpp#L35
> please.

Do you have a commit that fixes this?

— Marshall

On 25/03/2021 15:45, Marshall Clow wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 16/03/2021 20:24, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>>
>> I would like to fix https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/249 by
>> improving the logic at
>> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/convert.hpp#L35
>> please.
>
> Do you have a commit that fixes this?

The change is trivial. Current:

```c++
#if !defined(_MSC_VER) && !defined(__clang__) && (__GNUC__ < 9 ||
__cpp_concepts < 201907L)
#define OUTCOME_GCC6_CONCEPT_BOOL bool
#else
#define OUTCOME_GCC6_CONCEPT_BOOL
#endif
```

To be replaced with:

```c++
#if (defined(_MSC_VER) || defined(__clang__) || (defined(__GNUC__) &&
__cpp_concepts >= 201707) || OUTCOME_FORCE_STD_CXX_CONCEPTS) &&
!OUTCOME_FORCE_LEGACY_GCC_CXX_CONCEPTS
#define OUTCOME_GCC6_CONCEPT_BOOL
#else
#define OUTCOME_GCC6_CONCEPT_BOOL bool
#endif
```

To explain, GCC expects bool with concept, or not, in varying
configuration combinations which have evolved over GCC versions,
including apparently point releases, which is deeply unhelpful. This has
led to repeated bug reports for not just Outcome, but also for ASIO and
many other C++ projects.

If this above fix doesn't permanently shut this constant source of bug
reports, I'll be permanently disabling legacy GCC concepts support in
Outcome. I couldn't be arsed with supporting how unpredictably broken
GCC is with this.

Niall

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 12:04 PM Niall Douglas via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 25/03/2021 15:45, Marshall Clow wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> I would like to fix https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/249 by
> >> improving the logic at
> >> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/convert.hpp#L35
> >> please.
> >
> > Do you have a commit that fixes this?
>
> The change is trivial. Current:

If you're asking for permission to merge to master now, you should
have a commit on outcome's develop branch that we can look at. You are
free to commit to develop at any time. Only master is locked.

Glen

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

On 25/03/2021 15:45, Marshall Clow wrote:

> On Mar 25, 2021, at 8:06 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 16/03/2021 20:24, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>>
>> I would like to fix https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/249 by
>> improving the logic at
>> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/convert.hpp#L35
>> please.
>
> Do you have a commit that fixes this?

Judging from
https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/outcome.html,
the commit fixing this shown at
https://github.com/boostorg/outcome/commits/develop has not broken anything.

May I merge this to master?

Niall

Re: [release] 1.76.0 post-beta merges

I would like to merge the following commits to master:

Fix case where inflated content is larger than out buffer
https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2207/commits/8283a7df3faf555f3697aa2a88342abd730bfe57

minor tweak to github actions workflow:
https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2207/commits/26e9a4c2947c1870f511c607b052320a73b5685d

Fix missing check for error code after header is parsed
https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2207/commits/31a1fb332a8f69ae35853216de2bcbe96df3f19b

Correct an incorrect test
https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2207/commits/c3e83439dd7c3590a00ff873efe253aad3f2fda0

Update version number
https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2207/commits/b7344b0d501f23f763a76488826dde8c31f34b5d

wrote:

> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on Wednesday, Apr 7.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/ <
> https://www.boost.org/development/>
>
> — Marshall
>
> P.S Doc changes and test changes do NOT require release manager approval
> to be merged.

12