[release] 1.75.0 post-beta merges

123

Re: [release] 1.75.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, 18 Nov 2020 at 16:55, Vinnie Falco via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 15, 2020 at 11:05 AM Marshall Clow via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> > described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> I would also like to merge these two (one updates the doc toolchain,
> the other updates JSON's doc config file)
>
> <
> https://github.com/boostorg/docca/commit/36187e2c964f000c259cca32b48371fe068e46fe

If this one goes in, I will also need to commit this one:

<
https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2123/commits/0633e8a55d0bb4161c3f9d9050feced25527dd26

> <
> https://github.com/boostorg/json/commit/bfacd2bfd8ea563f7a93790ab45fa4631c969dbd
> >

> And this one, which fixes the problem where shared libraries can't be
> built in standalone:
>
> <
> https://github.com/boostorg/json/commit/9e67899cd5ef017e02435809481581e8d8193672
> >

> Thanks!

Richard Hodges
[hidden email]
office: +442032898513
home: +376841522
mobile: +376380212

On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 12:33 PM Richard Hodges wrote:
> If this one goes in, I will also need to commit this one:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/beast/pull/2123/commits/0633e8a55d0bb4161c3f9d9050feced25527dd26

This is a PR to develop, which you don't need permission to merge.

It will be easier if you merge what you want to develop now, and then
just present a single PR to merge develop->master to review...

Glen

Re: [release] 1.75.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Wed, Nov 18, 2020 at 9:38 AM Glen Fernandes via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> This is a PR to develop, which you don't need permission to merge.

What he's saying is that this change will also need to go into the
master branch when the docca changes are merged to master.

Thanks

On 11/15/20 10:05 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on December 2nd.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/

I would like to merge these commits to Boost.Atomic master:

https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/commit/e873eb15969d610aa894df6581786ef6a6365b93

Minor optimization of AArch32 assembler blocks, no functional change.

https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/commit/0835f7cdf4a80136cdca1aafac42fd175274bb74

Fix for a compilation error on AArch64 targets due to invalid
instructions generated for some logical operations on atomics.

https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/commit/ea5911a413a698f5b7a2db24a705bcc358611d0e

Add tests for the above.

The commits are for this recently reported bug:

https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/issues/41

I have tested these changes on a local AArch64 QEMU VM (for both AARch32
and AArch64 targets) and locally for x86 (which is unaffected by these
changes anyway). AppVeyor CI has passed. Travis CI job is hanging
scheduled for more than one day, and it doesn't look like it'll start
any time soon.

On Friday, November 20, 2020, Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I would like to merge these commits to Boost.Atomic master:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/commit/e873eb15969d610aa8
> 94df6581786ef6a6365b93
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/commit/0835f7cdf4a80136cd
> ca1aafac42fd175274bb74
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/atomic/commit/ea5911a413a698f5b7
> a2db24a705bcc358611d0e
>
> I have tested these changes on a local AArch64 QEMU VM (for both AARch32
> and AArch64 targets) and locally for x86 (which is unaffected by these
> changes anyway). AppVeyor CI has passed. Travis CI job is hanging scheduled
> for more than one day, and it doesn't look like it'll start any time soon.

I tested your develop on my Travis:
 https://travis-ci.org/github/glenfe/boost.atomic/builds/745027036

Go ahead and merge.

Glen

On 15/11/2020 19:05, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

A quick heads up that I've merged some documentation changes to regex,
which I believe is allowed under the release policy?

Cheers, John.

On Nov 23, 2020, at 10:14 AM, John Maddock via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 15/11/2020 19:05, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> A quick heads up that I've merged some documentation changes to regex, which I believe is allowed under the release policy?

Thanks for the heads-up, and you are correct - approval is not necessary

— Marshall

Re: [release] 1.75.0 post-beta merges

On 11/15/20 10:05 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on December 2nd.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/

I'd like to merge these commits to Boost.Filesystem master:

https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/6c2bf50c3a678a87ccbf45bfc275ffbd9791ed44

Fixes space() operation not failing on Windows when a non-existing path
is specified.

https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/9cab675b71e98706886a87afe7c19eb9da568961

Resolves spurious symlink test failures.

AppVeyor CI has passed. Travis CI on boostorg is hanging, but has passed
on my local fork. Also tested locally on Linux.

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> I'd like to merge these commits to Boost.Filesystem master:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/6c2bf50c3a678a87ccbf45bfc275ffbd9791ed44
>
> Fixes space() operation not failing on Windows when a non-existing path is
> specified.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/9cab675b71e98706886a87afe7c19eb9da568961
>
> Resolves spurious symlink test failures.
>
> AppVeyor CI has passed. Travis CI on boostorg is hanging, but has passed
> on my local fork. Also tested locally on Linux.

FWIW I ran the tests on the current develop branch locally on Windows using

b2 -j6 test
toolset=msvc-10.0,msvc-11.0,msvc-12.0,msvc-14.0,msvc-14.1,msvc-14.2,clang-win
variant=debug,release

There was a single failure, clang-win in release,

...failed testing.capture-output
..\..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\operations_unit_test.test\clang-win-10.0.0\release\threading-multi\operations_unit_test.run...

but it's also present on the master branch, so it's not a regression.

Re: [release] 1.75.0 post-beta merges

On Thu, Nov 26, 2020 at 2:57 AM Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to merge these commits to Boost.Filesystem master:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/6c2bf50c3a678a87ccbf45bfc275ffbd9791ed44
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/9cab675b71e98706886a87afe7c19eb9da568961

Go ahead.

Glen

On 11/26/20 6:09 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>> I'd like to merge these commits to Boost.Filesystem master:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/6c2bf50c3a678a87ccbf45bfc275ffbd9791ed44
>>

>> Fixes space() operation not failing on Windows when a non-existing
>> path is specified.
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/filesystem/commit/9cab675b71e98706886a87afe7c19eb9da568961
>>

>> Resolves spurious symlink test failures.
>>
>> AppVeyor CI has passed. Travis CI on boostorg is hanging, but has
>> passed on my local fork. Also tested locally on Linux.
>
> FWIW I ran the tests on the current develop branch locally on Windows using
>
> b2 -j6 test
> toolset=msvc-10.0,msvc-11.0,msvc-12.0,msvc-14.0,msvc-14.1,msvc-14.2,clang-win
> variant=debug,release
>
> There was a single failure, clang-win in release,
>
> ...failed testing.capture-output
> ..\..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\operations_unit_test.test\clang-win-10.0.0\release\threading-multi\operations_unit_test.run...
>

> but it's also present on the master branch, so it's not a regression.

Could you provide more details for the error?

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> On 11/26/20 6:09 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> > FWIW I ran the tests on the current develop branch locally on Windows
> > using
> >
> > b2 -j6 test
> > toolset=msvc-10.0,msvc-11.0,msvc-12.0,msvc-14.0,msvc-14.1,msvc-14.2,clang-win
> > variant=debug,release
> >
> > There was a single failure, clang-win in release,
> >
> > ...failed testing.capture-output
> > ..\..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\operations_unit_test.test\clang-win-10.0.0\release\threading-multi\operations_unit_test.run...
> > but it's also present on the master branch, so it's not a regression.
>
> Could you provide more details for the error?

The output from the test is:

testing.capture-output
..\..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\operations_unit_test.test\clang-win-10.0.0\release\threading-multi\operations_unit_test.run
====== BEGIN OUTPUT ======
BOOST_WINDOWS_API is defined
BOOST_FILESYSTEM_DECL=__attribute__((__dllimport__))
BOOST_SYMBOL_VISIBLE=
current_path() is C:\boost-git\develop\libs\filesystem
argv[1] is 'C:\boost-git\develop\libs\filesystem\test', changing
current_path() to it
current_path() is C:\boost-git\develop\libs\filesystem\test
temp_dir is
C:\boost-git\develop\libs\filesystem\test\..\op-unit_test-630b-eaad-7f54
file_status test...
  status(".") permissions are 666
  symlink_status(".") permissions are 666
query test...
directory_iterator_test...
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(133): test failed
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(134): test failed
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(135): test failed
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(136): test failed
directory_iterator_test complete
recursive_directory_iterator_test...
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(194): test failed
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(195): test failed
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(196): test failed
test\operations_unit_test.cpp(197): test failed
recursive_directory_iterator_test complete
operations test...
directory_entry test...
directory_entry overload test...
error handling test...

as expected, attempt to get size of non-existent file threw a
filesystem_error
what() returns boost::filesystem::file_size: The system cannot find the file
specified: "no-such-file"
string_file_tests...
"b8ea-43a3-e9da-feda"
"foo-0b9d7-e3997-bar"
"foo-5fc17-60a20-37b65-37a64-f6928-ab2cd-04714-94cf-bar"
"foo-f04d2-68d9f-9dcef-8e447-d0378-bf2fa-a6491-d3530-bar"
testing complete
post-test removal of
"C:\boost-git\develop\libs\filesystem\test\..\op-unit_test-630b-eaad-7f54"
post-test removal complete
8 errors detected.

EXIT STATUS: 8
====== END OUTPUT ======

On 11/26/20 8:06 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>> On 11/26/20 6:09 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> > FWIW I ran the tests on the current develop branch locally on
>> Windows > using
>> >
>> > b2 -j6 test >
>> toolset=msvc-10.0,msvc-11.0,msvc-12.0,msvc-14.0,msvc-14.1,msvc-14.2,clang-win
>> > variant=debug,release
>> >
>> > There was a single failure, clang-win in release,
>> >
>> > ...failed testing.capture-output >
>> ..\..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\operations_unit_test.test\clang-win-10.0.0\release\threading-multi\operations_unit_test.run...
>> > but it's also present on the master branch, so it's not a regression.
>>
>> Could you provide more details for the error?
>
> The output from the test is:

Does it also fail when you run tests sequentially? I.e. just one
compiler and just one variant, with -j1?

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> >> ..\..\bin.v2\libs\filesystem\test\operations_unit_test.test\clang-win-10.0.0\release\threading-multi\operations_unit_test.run...
> >>
> >> Could you provide more details for the error?
> >
> > The output from the test is:
>
> Does it also fail when you run tests sequentially? I.e. just one compiler
> and just one variant, with -j1?

This looks like a Clang x86 codegen bug. The compiler returns the
`file_status` from `get_status` on the stack and then overwrites it with
`push` instructions for some reason.

Not the first x86 clang-cl problem. I'll upgrade from 10.0 to 11.0 to see if
it's fixed.

Re: [release] 1.75.0 post-beta merges

> This looks like a Clang x86 codegen bug. The compiler returns the
> `file_status` from `get_status` on the stack and then overwrites it with
> `push` instructions for some reason.
>
> Not the first x86 clang-cl problem. I'll upgrade from 10.0 to 11.0 to see
> if it's fixed.

Still not fixed in 11.0.

On 11/27/20 1:13 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

>> This looks like a Clang x86 codegen bug. The compiler returns the
>> `file_status` from `get_status` on the stack and then overwrites it
>> with `push` instructions for some reason.
>>
>> Not the first x86 clang-cl problem. I'll upgrade from 10.0 to 11.0 to
>> see if it's fixed.
>
> Still not fixed in 11.0.

Looks like the bug is limited to 32-bit target. Do they actually plan to
support 32 bits?

Andrey Semashev wrote:

> >> This looks like a Clang x86 codegen bug. The compiler returns the
> >> `file_status` from `get_status` on the stack and then overwrites it
> >> with `push` instructions for some reason.
> >>
> >> Not the first x86 clang-cl problem. I'll upgrade from 10.0 to 11.0 to
> >> see if it's fixed.
> >
> > Still not fixed in 11.0.
>
> Looks like the bug is limited to 32-bit target. Do they actually plan to
> support 32 bits?

I don't know what "plan to" is supposed to mean; they already support it and
have done so for years now. I routinely run Boost tests with it. It's just
slightly buggy. :-)

(Admittedly I rarely use variant=release, so it might be buggier than I
think.)

On 11/27/20 1:42 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
> Andrey Semashev wrote:
>>
>> Looks like the bug is limited to 32-bit target. Do they actually plan
>> to support 32 bits?
>
> I don't know what "plan to" is supposed to mean; they already support it
> and have done so for years now. I routinely run Boost tests with it.
> It's just slightly buggy. :-)

Yes, I was just under impression that 32-bit target is deprecated or
something. Maybe I was just imagining it.

Anyway, I don't think I'm going to add any workarounds for this bug. Not
that I found any.

W dniu 15.11.2020 o 20:05, Marshall Clow via Boost pisze:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on December 2nd.
> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/

I'd like to merge the following bugfixes and workarounds:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/compare/master...awulkiew:master-include-only

Adam

W dniu 27.11.2020 o 00:53, Adam Wulkiewicz pisze:

> W dniu 15.11.2020 o 20:05, Marshall Clow via Boost pisze:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>>
>> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on December 2nd.
>> Full calendar here: https://www.boost.org/development/
>
> I'd like to merge the following bugfixes and workarounds:
> https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/compare/master...awulkiew:master-include-only

This is a part of the change I plan to merge. It only contains files
from include directory. I extracted it for your convenience. I also plan
to update tests and documentation but it's not required to ask for
permission in this case. I pushed it to my repository instead of
boostorg submodule to not introduce this temporary branch into the main
repo.

Adam

123