[release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

123

[release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.

See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.

-- The release managers

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
I'd like to merge this one.  It's docs, but there is a 'code change', to
add some tests -- no core library changes.  Asking since wasn't sure how
that fit into the policy. Committed 3 days ago - test board looks good.

https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/163/commits

On Jul 16, 2020, at 6:02 AM, Jeff Garland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to merge this one.  It's docs, but there is a 'code change', to add some tests -- no core library changes.  Asking since wasn't sure how that fit into the policy. Committed 3 days ago - test board looks good.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/163/commits <https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/163/commits>
Go ahead.
— Marshall

P.S. I don’t think you have to ask to add tests.

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
The wiki doesn't address adding test cases directly -- it only says no code
changes -- hence the question.

And now that I look at the actual pull request to master, my memory of the
timing of my last sync is faulty. Sadly, not surprising. So there are 2
actual header changes (despite github claiming that there are many more
merges needed in the pull I've reverified that master has everything except
these 2 changes).   One shuts down some warnings and the other fixes a bug
in the constexpr implementation -- which I would like to close out in
1.74.  Note that I have verified these on 5 versions of gcc in every mode
from 98 to 2a -- and clang 10.  And of course on develop for ~1 week with
good tests.

Let me know.

https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/164/commits/77495803c131764f44a5c4d2227883d8c6812ead
https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/164/commits/247424d08de4587c7045467e172414b4ce9d4b20

On Jul 16, 2020, at 8:47 AM, Jeff Garland <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The wiki doesn't address adding test cases directly -- it only says no code changes -- hence the question.
>
> And now that I look at the actual pull request to master, my memory of the timing of my last sync is faulty. Sadly, not surprising. So there are 2 actual header changes (despite github claiming that there are many more merges needed in the pull I've reverified that master has everything except these 2 changes).   One shuts down some warnings and the other fixes a bug in the constexpr implementation -- which I would like to close out in 1.74.  Note that I have verified these on 5 versions of gcc in every mode from 98 to 2a -- and clang 10.  And of course on develop for ~1 week with good tests.
>
> Let me know.
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/164/commits/77495803c131764f44a5c4d2227883d8c6812ead <https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/164/commits/77495803c131764f44a5c4d2227883d8c6812ead>
> https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/164/commits/247424d08de4587c7045467e172414b4ce9d4b20 <https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/164/commits/247424d08de4587c7045467e172414b4ce9d4b20>
Go ahead.

— Marshall

> On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 6:26 AM Marshall Clow <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
> On Jul 16, 2020, at 6:02 AM, Jeff Garland <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> I'd like to merge this one.  It's docs, but there is a 'code change', to add some tests -- no core library changes.  Asking since wasn't sure how that fit into the policy. Committed 3 days ago - test board looks good.
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/163/commits <https://github.com/boostorg/date_time/pull/163/commits>
> Go ahead.
> — Marshall
>
> P.S. I don’t think you have to ask to add tests.

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
Done -- thank you.

On 16/07/2020 7:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.

Hi,

I ask for permission to merge from develop (regression testing looks ok)
two low-risk and a high priority issue (the regression was not fully
completed before beta):

#128 (surprising move behavior)
#126 (repeated include guard)
#151 (buffer overflow)

Best,

Ion

On 2020-07-16 08:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.

I would like to merge the following commit to master:

https://github.com/boostorg/core/commit/503d035b7fa3e4d10da4d81eb4e6df0f0804e501

It is a workaround for compilation error of boost::uncaught_exceptions
on AIX with xlclang++ compiler. The CI tests have passed.

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list

> On Jul 17, 2020, at 3:03 AM, Andrey Semashev via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2020-07-16 08:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.
>
> I would like to merge the following commit to master:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/core/commit/503d035b7fa3e4d10da4d81eb4e6df0f0804e501
>
> It is a workaround for compilation error of boost::uncaught_exceptions on AIX with xlclang++ compiler. The CI tests have passed.

Approved.

— Marshall

On Jul 17, 2020, at 1:17 AM, Ion Gaztañaga via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/07/2020 7:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> Hi,
>
> I ask for permission to merge from develop (regression testing looks ok) two low-risk and a high priority issue (the regression was not fully completed before beta):
>
> #128 (surprising move behavior)
> #126 (repeated include guard)
> #151 (buffer overflow)

Go ahead.

— Marshall

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

On Wed, Jul 15, 2020 at 10:38 PM Marshall Clow via Boost

Heads up, someone found a compile error that we are in the process of resolving:

<https://github.com/boostorg/beast/issues/2021>

Happens on gcc-4.8.5-4.el7.x86_64 under CentOS 7

Thanks

On 16/07/2020 06:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.

I'd like permission to merge a fix for
https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/232 (Cannot use expressions
involving variables named `res` within `OUTCOME_TRYX` and friends). The
change delta would be that anywhere around
https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/try.hpp#L223
where it currently has "res", it would thereafter become
OUTCOME_TRY_UNIQUE_NAME. Nothing apart from the bug fix (including ABI
and API) would change.

Niall

On Jul 20, 2020, at 10:06 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 16/07/2020 06:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>>
>> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.
>
> I'd like permission to merge a fix for
> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/232 (Cannot use expressions
> involving variables named `res` within `OUTCOME_TRYX` and friends). The
> change delta would be that anywhere around
> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/try.hpp#L223
> where it currently has "res", it would thereafter become
> OUTCOME_TRY_UNIQUE_NAME. Nothing apart from the bug fix (including ABI
> and API) would change.

Have you landed this on ‘develop’?
How do the tests look there?

If the answers are “yes”, and “fine”, then go ahead.

— Marshall

On 2020-07-16 08:36, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.

I'd like to merge to master the following commit:

https://github.com/boostorg/core/commit/dcc04c55089b8a74c5a37e3d25694fca697ffb9f

It is a workaround for boost::uncaught_exceptions on older versions of
Mac OS and iOS. CI tests have passed.

On 20/07/2020 18:50, Marshall Clow wrote:

>> I'd like permission to merge a fix for
>> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/issues/232 (Cannot use expressions
>> involving variables named `res` within `OUTCOME_TRYX` and friends). The
>> change delta would be that anywhere around
>> https://github.com/ned14/outcome/blob/develop/include/outcome/try.hpp#L223
>> where it currently has "res", it would thereafter become
>> OUTCOME_TRY_UNIQUE_NAME. Nothing apart from the bug fix (including ABI
>> and API) would change.
>
> If the answers are “yes”, and “fine”, then go ahead.

That fix is merged.

I'd like to merge another fixing all the test breakages shown at
https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/outcome.html.
This was caused by Emil reverting the boost::make_exception_ptr()
addition. I've simply bumped the Boost version guard, as I'd assume
he'll unrevert it after the release.

Finally, if anyone more expert at C++ than I can suggest how to fix
https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/teeks99-dkr-dc10-2a-lc-boost-bin-v2-libs-outcome-test-comparison-test-clang-linux-10~c++2a~lc-debug-threading-multi-visibility-hidden.html,
I'd appreciate the help.

I have tried six different approaches to solving that failure which
occurs only on clang, and only if clang is in C++ 20 mode. Neither GCC
nor MSVC take issue with it, in any C++ version. I have exceeded my
understanding of C++. I don't know what to do to fix it.

(Before anyone suggests "use SFINAE instead of Concepts", yes I tried
that, same failure. Before anyone suggests further constraints to break
the template recursion, yes I tried that too, but there is an
inescapable chicken and egg problem, I have to define the bloody type
before I can set constraints about it. To me, SFINAE means "substitution
failure is not an error", so if clang fails to substitute due to
recursion, I'd call that not an error. The really weird thing is that
clang before C++ 20 is happy, so knowing that the clang authors are not
incompetent, some rule must have changed in C+ 20. It's beyond me)

Niall

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list

> Finally, if anyone more expert at C++ than I can suggest how to fix
> https://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/output/teeks99-dkr-dc10-2a-lc-boost-bin-v2-libs-outcome-test-comparison-test-clang-linux-10~c++2a~lc-debug-threading-multi-visibility-hidden.html,
> I'd appreciate the help.

Just some observations that might help:

- Failing test is BOOST_CHECK(a == b); with "outcome<int> a(1);
result<int> b(1);"
- Hence the operation is "operator==(outcome, result)
- Failing stacktrace shows bottom-most: "operator==(const
basic_result<T, U, V> &a, const basic_outcome<R, S, P, N> &b)" so the
other way round
- you define the availability and noexceptness basically as "b == a"
reversing the results

Is it possible that outcome<T> and result<T> are convertible? If so,
that would explain the recursion: to check a==b you need to check b==a
so you need to check a==b, ...

If that is the case I don't think it is possible to overcome this.
However if those are convertible, why is the swapping required?

Also: Is the guard around that function "#if __cplusplus <= 202000L"
correct? If so why would you exclude C++23 and up now?

My feeling is that the operator is not required and can be removed which
avoids the recursion.

Hope that asks the right question to point you into solving this.

Regards,
Alex

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

I'd like to merge https://github.com/boostorg/variant/pull/81/files into
master. Tests are fine.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020, 08:37 Marshall Clow via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/wiki/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>
> Reminder: The master branch closes for the release on August 5th.
>
> -- The release managers

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 11:18 AM Antony Polukhin via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'd like to merge https://github.com/boostorg/variant/pull/81/files into
> master. Tests are fine.

Go ahead.

Glen

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

I'd like to merge a small fix for building on Android with API level
below 24: https://github.com/boostorg/nowide/pull/112/files

CI passed, expecting the reporter to confirm it is working for him today.

Thanks, Alex

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

Re: [release] 1.74.0 post-beta merges

I'd like to merge a small fix for building on Android with API level
below 24: https://github.com/boostorg/nowide/pull/112/files

May I merge this? CI has passed and it reportedly fixes the issue.

Thanks, Alex