[release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

12

[release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.

See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 21.11.19 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

I would like to merge this changes to master

https://github.com/boostorg/test/compare/ed04b2a5e64e428755986b52d84e002723f0e810..aaacf00faa3238d8a65cf76689789825104edd92

Tests green.

Thanks!
Raffi

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>

In GIL, we'd like to merge a set of seven commits with minor and
documentation changes [1] that we believe do not require request
for permission.

[1] https://lists.boost.org/boost-gil/2019/11/0353.php

There is one change we are debating [2] if it needs permission or not:

* Remove include/boost/gil/version.hpp file as unused
   https://github.com/boostorg/gil/commit/84b155630d1d59d604ba9c1e083c7d8ae8097e33

[2] https://lists.boost.org/boost-gil/2019/11/0354.php

The boost/gil/version.hpp was added in Boost 1.68 and
we are finding it useless and confusing, so we've decided to remove it.

We don't think there has been any wide use of or dependence on
this header, so we consider it safe to be removed at any time.

Can we merge the removal of the boost/gil/version.hpp as post-beta merge now?

On 11/23/19 06:42, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

> In GIL, we'd like to merge a set of seven commits with minor and
> documentation changes [1] that we believe do not require request
> for permission.

Correct. Merge away.

> Can we merge the removal of the boost/gil/version.hpp as post-beta merge now?

Please feel free to merge. I would like to see mention of it in the
release notes for GIL.

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

On 11/21/19 12:01, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

> On 21.11.19 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:
>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>
>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>>

> I would like to merge this changes to master
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/test/compare/ed04b2a5e64e428755986b52d84e002723f0e810..aaacf00faa3238d8a65cf76689789825104edd92
>
> Tests green.

Do we have testers that disable RTTI?

The change_log notes indicate that there is better "diagnostics for
boost::exception and no rtti mode". Do you know when this improvement
entered Boost?

michael

--
Michael Caisse
Ciere Consulting

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

On Sat, 23 Nov 2019 at 20:10, Michael Caisse via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/23/19 06:42, Mateusz Loskot via Boost wrote:
> > On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > In GIL, we'd like to merge a set of seven commits with minor and
> > documentation changes [1] that we believe do not require request
> > for permission.
>
> Correct. Merge away.

Done.

> > Can we merge the removal of the boost/gil/version.hpp as post-beta merge now?
>

> Please feel free to merge. I would like to see mention of it in the
> release notes for GIL.

Done, with the notes update submitted in
https://github.com/boostorg/website/pull/460

Thank you.

On 23.11.19 20:19, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:

> On 11/21/19 12:01, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:
>> On 21.11.19 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost wrote:
>>> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
>>> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>>>
>>> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
>>>

>> I would like to merge this changes to master
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/test/compare/ed04b2a5e64e428755986b52d84e002723f0e810..aaacf00faa3238d8a65cf76689789825104edd92
>>
>> Tests green.
>>

> Do we have testers that disable RTTI?
>
> The change_log notes indicate that there is better "diagnostics for
> boost::exception and no rtti mode". Do you know when this improvement
> entered Boost?
Thanks for the feedback. If this merge contains changes that can be
problematic, I can split it up and get the bugfix "# [github_issue 206]
compile-time disabled test not correctly handled by junit log" alone
instead.

Concerning the RTTI, I do not know about any runners. Maybe somebody has
an idea?

The change itself forwards the creation of the error message/diagnostic
to boost::exception, now unconditionally to the RTTI support. The error
message is created by "boost::diagnostic_information" in

/libs/exception/include/boost/exception/diagnostic_information.hpp

There I can see several #ifndef BOOST_NO_RTTI / #endif and my
understanding is that boost::exception library already handles the
NO_RTTI case better than boost.test.
All in all I believe this change is safe.

Let me know what you think. If this is too risky, let me know if I can
merge the other bugfix.

Best,
Raffi

> michael

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

On Thu, Nov 21, 2019 at 8:37 AM Michael Caisse via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges

Boost.Asio still has a defect here:

<https://github.com/boostorg/asio/blob/9254ec55a3d90019cc3223b018bb38b5c1a49dc4/include/boost/asio/ssl/stream.hpp#L717>

It should have "typename" This fails on some flavors of MSVC:

<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/vinniefalco/beast/history>

I thought this was fixed in this commit:

<https://github.com/boostorg/asio/commit/529ce8dec4a16b8745fe596875e133dc022db345>

But it wasn't. I believe this has been reported twice:

<https://github.com/boostorg/asio/issues/299>
<https://github.com/chriskohlhoff/asio/issues/436>

Beast gets a compilation error in some versions of MSVC.

Thanks

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 2:54 PM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Boost.Asio...

A Slack user also reports this:

> was playing around with 1.72 beta asio, and it looks like this
> incorrectly concludes that recent msvc with /std:c++1[47] has
> no ret type deduction:
> https://github.com/boostorg/asio/blob/develop/include/boost/asio/detail/config.hpp#L318
> the existing test i believe would require msvc to run with /Zc:__cplusplus
> which is still not the default. a fix that works on my end is adding
>
> # elif defined(__cpp_return_type_deduction) && __cpp_return_type_deduction >= 201304
> #   define ASIO_HAS_RETURN_TYPE_DEDUCTION 1
> include/boost/asio/detail/config.hpp:318
> #if !defined(BOOST_ASIO_HAS_RETURN_TYPE_DEDUCTION)

We should probably fix this along with the other problem I mentioned earlier.

Thanks

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 2:54 PM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Boost.Asio still has a defect here:
> ...<https://github.com/boostorg/asio/blob/9254ec55a3d90019cc3223b018bb38b5c1a49dc4/include/boost/asio/ssl/stream.hpp#L717>

Still a problem

Thanks

W dniu 21.11.2019 o 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost pisze:
> The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
>
> See <https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
I'd like to merge several fixes for Geometry. Here are the changes done
in include directory only:
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/compare/master...bg-prepare-include

In addition to the above I'd like to merge fixes and additional test
cases in test directory but AFAIU I don't need a permission for that so
I didn't include it in the diff above for your convenience.

I also have a question regarding the policy. In the section:
*"**Documentation fixes and other minor changes not affecting code.**"*,
the policy states:

/> //Criteria: Changes not requiring regression testing and unlikely to
impact other libraries. Procedure: Merges to branches/release are OK,
after fix applied to trunk, and do not require a release manager's
permission./

AFAIK no other library depends on Geometry (see:
https://pdimov.github.io/boostdep-report/boost-1.71.0/geometry.html
*"Reverse dependencies"* section at the bottom). Does it mean we do not
have to ask for permission for fixes like the ones above?

Adam

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, Nov 29, 2019 at 1:40 PM Adam Wulkiewicz via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> W dniu 21.11.2019 o 17:37, Michael Caisse via Boost pisze:
> > The master branch is is now open for post-beta merges, but only as
> > described in the Post-Beta Merge Policy.
> >
> > See <
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Releases%3A-Beta-Merge-Policy>
> I'd like to merge several fixes for Geometry. Here are the changes done
> in include directory only:
> https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/compare/master...bg-prepare-include
>
> In addition to the above I'd like to merge fixes and additional test
> cases in test directory but AFAIU I don't need a permission for that so
> I didn't include it in the diff above for your convenience.

Go ahead.

-- Marshall

> I also have a question regarding the policy. In the section:
> *"**Documentation fixes and other minor changes not affecting code.**"*,
> the policy states:
>
> /> //Criteria: Changes not requiring regression testing and unlikely to
> impact other libraries. Procedure: Merges to branches/release are OK,
> after fix applied to trunk, and do not require a release manager's
> permission./
>
> AFAIK no other library depends on Geometry (see:
> https://pdimov.github.io/boostdep-report/boost-1.71.0/geometry.html
> *"Reverse dependencies"* section at the bottom). Does it mean we do not
> have to ask for permission for fixes like the ones above?

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Mon, Dec 2, 2019 at 7:49 AM Marshall Clow via Boost

Two Asio problems outstanding:

1. A syntax error persists
2. Missing release notes

Regards

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:43 AM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 1. A syntax error persists

boostorg/asio was just updated today, I see the possible fix for this
error and I am testing it on Appveyor now.

Thanks

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:48 AM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 7:43 AM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > 1. A syntax error persists
>
> boostorg/asio was just updated today, I see the possible fix for this
> error and I am testing it on Appveyor now.

Glad you're on top of it,
Thanks.

-- Marshall

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 8:01 AM Marshall Clow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Glad you're on top of it,

The compilation error with asio is fixed. Still no asio release notes.

Thanks

On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:42 AM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The compilation error with asio is fixed. Still no asio release notes.

Unfortunately, the asio fix is only in the develop branch. The master
branch is still broken, and there are still no release notes.

Regards

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:36 PM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 3, 2019 at 9:42 AM Vinnie Falco <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > The compilation error with asio is fixed. Still no asio release notes.
>
> Unfortunately, the asio fix is only in the develop branch. The master
> branch is still broken, and there are still no release notes.

Looks like they're there now.
Is your problem fixed?

-- Marshall

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 8:47 PM Marshall Clow <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Looks like they're there now. Is your problem fixed?

It does not look like it is fixed. A rebuild of the beast master
branch still fails on Appveyor. I am trying again in case the failure
was spurious.

Thanks

Re: [release] 1.72.0 post-beta merges

Could someone please have a look at
http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/release-proto-MSVC-19-24-28314-VS-2019-16-4-0-won-t-compile-proto-s-generate-hpp-td4710720.html
cause it's a showstopper for the latest VS 2019 (16.4.0).

It's not an error introduced in 1.72 but already there for a long time, and
now the latest MSVC version produces an error on that MSVC-workaround.

thanks

--
Sent from: http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Dev-f2600599.html

12