[release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

12

[release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
notice.

If you haven't written your release notes yet, you can add them to:

https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history/boost_1_66_0.qbk

Use the pencil icon at the top right of the code to edit it, or you
can mail your notes to me, and I'll add them.

thanks,

Daniel

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Daniel James via Boost <

> I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
> we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
> notice.

I had a late request to revert the change to the
boost:uuids::string_generator invalid
parsing exception type (was std::runtime_error, I had changed it to
std::invalid_argument;
the request was to change it back).  I need to make this change and remove
the relevant
release note.  Do I have time to do this?

Thanks,

Jim

On 11/11/17 01:49, James E. King, III via Boost wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 9:20 AM, Daniel James via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
>> we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
>> notice.
>

> I had a late request to revert the change to the
> boost:uuids::string_generator invalid
> parsing exception type (was std::runtime_error, I had changed it to
> std::invalid_argument;
> the request was to change it back).  I need to make this change and remove
> the relevant
> release note.

Some relevant links. The original (incorrect) change was:

https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/commit/07f68d3b9ce95bbde19b0212293f5110d363e050

The change that is proposed to be merged is this:

https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/pull/54

> Do I have time to do this?

(Disclaimer: I'm not a release manager.) Normally, you need some time
for tests to cycle (in our official testers). The change is rather
simple though, it might be fine to just wait for CI to complete, which
it hopefully will until the beta freeze.

In any case, there will be a window open for merging after the beta is
out. You can merge the fix then.

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 10 November 2017 at 23:24, Andrey Semashev via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Some relevant links. The original (incorrect) change was:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/commit/07f68d3b9ce95bbde19b0212293f5110d363e050
>
> The change that is proposed to be merged is this:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/pull/54

Thanks, that's helpful. This should certainly be included in the final
release, but I think it can wait until after the beta.

On 10.11.2017 19:17, Daniel James via Boost wrote:

> On 10 November 2017 at 23:24, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Some relevant links. The original (incorrect) change was:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/commit/07f68d3b9ce95bbde19b0212293f5110d363e050
>>
>> The change that is proposed to be merged is this:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/pull/54
> Thanks, that's helpful. This should certainly be included in the final
> release, but I think it can wait until after the beta.

I also haven't got a chance to merge Boost.Python patches from develop
to master, as I totally missed the fact that we are approaching beta.
Any suggestions what I should do ? Merge now ? After the beta ? Not at all ?

Thanks,

Stefan

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 7:17 PM, Daniel James via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10 November 2017 at 23:24, Andrey Semashev via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Some relevant links. The original (incorrect) change was:
> >
> > https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/commit/07f68d3b9ce95bbde19b0212293f51
> 10d363e050
> >
> > The change that is proposed to be merged is this:
> >
> > https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/pull/54
>
> Thanks, that's helpful. This should certainly be included in the final
> release, but I think it can wait until after the beta.

My PR build of this revert failed in serialization, something must have
just changed in serialization.

.\boost/serialization/singleton.hpp(155) : error C2491:
'boost::serialization::singleton<T>::m_instance' : definition of dllimport
static data member not allowed
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3283>
with
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3284>
[
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3285>
T=boost::archive::detail::extra_detail::map<boost::archive::binary_iarchive>
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3286>
]
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3287>
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3288>
call
"C:\Users\appveyor\AppData\Local\Temp\1\b2_msvc_10.0_vcvarsall_x86.cmd" >nul
<https://ci.appveyor.com/project/jeking3/uuid-gaamf/build/1.0.76-develop/job/w2ye903t9e8yc7hu#L3289>cl
/Zm800

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

On 11 November 2017 at 00:25, Stefan Seefeld via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 10.11.2017 19:17, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
>> On 10 November 2017 at 23:24, Andrey Semashev via Boost
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Some relevant links. The original (incorrect) change was:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/commit/07f68d3b9ce95bbde19b0212293f5110d363e050
>>>
>>> The change that is proposed to be merged is this:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/boostorg/uuid/pull/54
>> Thanks, that's helpful. This should certainly be included in the final
>> release, but I think it can wait until after the beta.
>
> I also haven't got a chance to merge Boost.Python patches from develop
> to master, as I totally missed the fact that we are approaching beta.
> Any suggestions what I should do ? Merge now ? After the beta ? Not at all ?

As this is partly our fault for not posting warnings earlier, and the
changes in develop look manageable to me, it's okay to merge now if
you're confident that they're ready. If you're not, then have another
look after the beta. I can also give you a little more time if you
need it.

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

On 11 November 2017 at 00:56, James E. King, III via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> My PR build of this revert failed in serialization, something must have
> just changed in serialization.

Thanks for catching that, hopefully serialization is better in master?
I've got to go to bed now, so I'll look into what's going on with
serialization in the morning.

On 11/10/17 6:46 PM, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
> On 11 November 2017 at 00:56, James E. King, III via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>> My PR build of this revert failed in serialization, something must have
>> just changed in serialization.
>
> Thanks for catching that, hopefully serialization is better in master?
> I've got to go to bed now, so I'll look into what's going on with
> serialization in the morning.

I'm working on this now.  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Robert Ramey

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11 November 2017 at 04:44, Robert Ramey via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm working on this now.  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.

Thanks. Does this also affect master? My main concern right now is
when we can go ahead with the beta.

Le 10.11.17 à 15:20, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
> we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
> notice.
>
> If you haven't written your release notes yet, you can add them to:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history/boost_1_66_0.qbk
>
> Use the pencil icon at the top right of the code to edit it, or you
> can mail your notes to me, and I'll add them.
>
> thanks,

There is a regression on boost.test on Windows while the code did not
change, due to the fact that b2 now have longer paths:

This is what I have for last develop:
..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\threading-multi\writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj.rsp

This is what I have for new feature branches:
..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threading-multi\writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj

(threadapi-win32 has been added)

The error says
"
failed to write output file
'..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\threading-multi\writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj.rsp'!
"

The base folder of my CI is D:\bamboo_build_dir\SW-BCB125-VC2008WIN, and
the builds that fail are VS2008, VS2013, VS2015, VS2017.

Would it be possible to revert this change, such that I can use my CI
and focus on the code?

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 10.11.17 à 15:20, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
>> we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
>> notice.
>>
>> If you haven't written your release notes yet, you can add them to:
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history
>> /boost_1_66_0.qbk
>>
>> Use the pencil icon at the top right of the code to edit it, or you
>> can mail your notes to me, and I'll add them.
>>
>> thanks,
>>

> There is a regression on boost.test on Windows while the code did not
> change, due to the fact that b2 now have longer paths:
>
> This is what I have for last develop:
> ..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-
> customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\
> threading-multi\writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-
> customization-points.obj.rsp
>
> This is what I have for new feature branches:
> ..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-
> customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threading-multi\
> writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj
>
> (threadapi-win32 has been added)
>
> The error says
> "
> failed to write output file '..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\tes
> t\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.test\
> msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\threading-multi\writing-test-
> ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj.rsp'!
> "
>
> The base folder of my CI is D:\bamboo_build_dir\SW-BCB125-VC2008WIN, and
> the builds that fail are VS2008, VS2013, VS2015, VS2017.
>
> Would it be possible to revert this change, such that I can use my CI and
> focus on the code?

You mean revert a series of changes to, IIRC, 4 repos and the superproject?
... Not likely. But you can use either "--abbreviate-paths" or "--hash"
option to get shorter paths. <
http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/overview/invocation.html#bbv2.overview.invocation.options

HTH.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 9:26 AM, Rene Rivera via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Le 10.11.17 à 15:20, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
> >> we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
> >> notice.
> >>
> >> If you haven't written your release notes yet, you can add them to:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history
> >> /boost_1_66_0.qbk
> >>
> >> Use the pencil icon at the top right of the code to edit it, or you
> >> can mail your notes to me, and I'll add them.
> >>
> >> thanks,
> >>

> > There is a regression on boost.test on Windows while the code did not
> > change, due to the fact that b2 now have longer paths:
> >
> > This is what I have for last develop:
> > ..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-
> > customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\
> > threading-multi\writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-
> > customization-points.obj.rsp
> >
> > This is what I have for new feature branches:
> > ..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-
> > customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threading-multi\
> > writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj
> >
> > (threadapi-win32 has been added)
> >
> > The error says
> > "
> > failed to write output file '..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\tes
> > t\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.test\
> > msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\threading-multi\writing-test-
> > ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj.rsp'!
> > "
> >
> > The base folder of my CI is D:\bamboo_build_dir\SW-BCB125-VC2008WIN, and
> > the builds that fail are VS2008, VS2013, VS2015, VS2017.
> >
> > Would it be possible to revert this change, such that I can use my CI and
> > focus on the code?
> >

> You mean revert a series of changes to, IIRC, 4 repos and the superproject?
> ... Not likely. But you can use either "--abbreviate-paths" or "--hash"
> option to get shorter paths. <
> http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/overview/
> invocation.html#bbv2.overview.invocation.options

Perhaps --abbreviate-paths should be the default behavior for bjam on
Windows now,
given the default options have broken more than one environment (this is
not the first
email with this subject in the last month).

- Jim

Le 11.11.17 à 15:26, Rene Rivera via Boost a écrit :

> On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 7:58 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Le 10.11.17 à 15:20, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I'll close the master branch for the beta release tomorrow. Sorry
>>> we've been quiet about the release and that this is a bit short
>>> notice.
>>>
>>> If you haven't written your release notes yet, you can add them to:
>>>
>>> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/feed/history
>>> /boost_1_66_0.qbk
>>>
>>> Use the pencil icon at the top right of the code to edit it, or you
>>> can mail your notes to me, and I'll add them.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>

>> There is a regression on boost.test on Windows while the code did not
>> change, due to the fact that b2 now have longer paths:
>>
>> This is what I have for last develop:
>> ..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-
>> customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\
>> threading-multi\writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-
>> customization-points.obj.rsp
>>
>> This is what I have for new feature branches:
>> ..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\test\user-defined-types-logging-
>> customization-points.test\msvc-9\debug\threading-multi\
>> writing-test-ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj
>>
>> (threadapi-win32 has been added)
>>
>> The error says
>> "
>> failed to write output file '..\..\..\bin.v2\libs\test\tes
>> t\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.test\
>> msvc-9\debug\threadapi-win32\threading-multi\writing-test-
>> ts\user-defined-types-logging-customization-points.obj.rsp'!
>> "
>>
>> The base folder of my CI is D:\bamboo_build_dir\SW-BCB125-VC2008WIN, and
>> the builds that fail are VS2008, VS2013, VS2015, VS2017.
>>
>> Would it be possible to revert this change, such that I can use my CI and
>> focus on the code?
>>

> You mean revert a series of changes to, IIRC, 4 repos and the superproject?
> ... Not likely. But you can use either "--abbreviate-paths" or "--hash"
> option to get shorter paths. <
> http://www.boost.org/build/doc/html/bbv2/overview/invocation.html#bbv2.overview.invocation.options
>>

> HTH.

No, I did not mean reverting a series of changes and asking for a lot of
work for many people. Thanks for the hint, the "--abbreviate-paths"
works perfectly for me!

I agree with James E. King, III that it would be good to have it as the
default on win32, but if this complicated path scheme is there, there
should also be a reason...

Thanks again for the quick answer,
Raffi

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11 November 2017 at 17:18, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> No, I did not mean reverting a series of changes and asking for a lot of
> work for many people. Thanks for the hint, the "--abbreviate-paths" works
> perfectly for me!

Am I right to assume that this doesn't need to be fixed in the beta?

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Nov 11, 2017 at 11:25 AM, Daniel James via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11 November 2017 at 17:18, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > No, I did not mean reverting a series of changes and asking for a lot of
> > work for many people. Thanks for the hint, the "--abbreviate-paths" works
> > perfectly for me!
>
> Am I right to assume that this doesn't need to be fixed in the beta?

I believe you are correct.

On 11/11/17 12:53 AM, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
> On 11 November 2017 at 04:44, Robert Ramey via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm working on this now.  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
>
> Thanks. Does this also affect master? My main concern right now is
> when we can go ahead with the beta.

The master should be OK.  I merged in a previous batch of changes which
were extensively tested before embarking on this round.

I'm still hoping I can get this last relatively small set in under the
wire.  But it will be inconvenient if I can't do this, but it won't be a
disaster.

Robert Ramey

Le 11.11.17 à 18:25, Daniel James via Boost a écrit :
> On 11 November 2017 at 17:18, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> No, I did not mean reverting a series of changes and asking for a lot of
>> work for many people. Thanks for the hint, the "--abbreviate-paths" works
>> perfectly for me!
>
> Am I right to assume that this doesn't need to be fixed in the beta?

IMO you are correct

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

On 11 November 2017 at 17:40, Robert Ramey via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 11/11/17 12:53 AM, Daniel James via Boost wrote:
>>
>> On 11 November 2017 at 04:44, Robert Ramey via Boost
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>

>>> I'm working on this now.  Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
>>

>> Thanks. Does this also affect master? My main concern right now is
>> when we can go ahead with the beta.
>

> The master should be OK.  I merged in a previous batch of changes which were
> extensively tested before embarking on this round.
>
> I'm still hoping I can get this last relatively small set in under the wire.
> But it will be inconvenient if I can't do this, but it won't be a disaster.

OK, I'll leave master open for serialization and UUID. Please let me
know how long you'll need soonish.

Re: [release] 1.66.0 closing for beta tomorrow

AMDG

On 11/11/2017 10:18 AM, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost wrote:

> No, I did not mean reverting a series of changes and asking for a lot of
> work for many people. Thanks for the hint, the "--abbreviate-paths"
> works perfectly for me!
>
> I agree with James E. King, III that it would be good to have it as the
> default on win32, but if this complicated path scheme is there, there
> should also be a reason...

  Didn't we run into this exact same problem before with
address-model/architecture?  Ah, here's the code that hides
the autodetected value of the feature:
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/blob/master/boostcpp.jam#L647
Perhaps we should do the same for threadapi?

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

12