Quantcast

[quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

12

[quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

Boost - Dev mailing list
I just noticed a missing [endsect] in the middle of one of the .qbk files in
the Core documentation. The main .qbk file contains

[include addressof.qbk]
[include checked_delete.qbk]
[include demangle.qbk]
[include enable_if.qbk]
[include explicit_operator_bool.qbk]
[include ignore_unused.qbk]
[include is_same.qbk]
[include lightweight_test.qbk]
[include no_exceptions_support.qbk]
[include noncopyable.qbk]
[include null_deleter.qbk]
[include ref.qbk]
[include scoped_enum.qbk]
[include swap.qbk]
[include typeinfo.qbk]

and in the middle of lightweight_test.qbk an [endsect] was missing. The end
result of it was that the following includes went into the [section] opened
in lightweight_test.qbk, as subsections. This wasn't noticeable from a
cursory look so it went unnoticed for a while.

Is it worth diagnosing this problem in some way? We probably can't disallow
unbalanced sections in an [include], but this could be a warning? (If
someone pays it any attention, of course.)

Presumably, at the end of the file there'll be a [section] left open? This
could be made an error so it'd be harder to miss.

Re: [quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 15 March 2017 at 23:21, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Is it worth diagnosing this problem in some way? We probably can't disallow
> unbalanced sections in an [include], but this could be a warning? (If
> someone pays it any attention, of course.)

There already is a warning if a section isn't closed at the end of any
file which starts with a docinfo block:

$ cd libs/core/doc
$ git checkout 064cfd3d732621bea36733ca3c4e513c83654418^
$ quickbook core.qbk
Generating Output File: core.xml
core.qbk: warning: Missing [endsect] detected at end of file.

Although I imagine it can easily get lost in all the output from boost
build, doxygen and boostbook. Could add an option to make it an error
I suppose.

An include which doesn't have a docinfo block is mostly treated like a
straight textual include, which is why the warning will appear in the
containing file. For [quickbook 1.6] documents, included files with a
docinfo block are treated more like documents in their own right, so
quickbook will warn about unclosed sections in that file.

Tricky thing for boost documentation is that the 'library' element
doesn't allow any children which have quickbook docinfo blocks. In
boostbook sections can have a 'sectioninfo' block, so maybe there
should be a docinfo block for sections (which confusingly would have
to be called something other than 'section'). Or a way of indicating
that a file (or perhaps all files) should be self-contained.

It might be better to rethink how structural elements (book, part,
chapter, library, etc.) and 'section' work so that they're more
consistent.

Daniel James wrote:

> There already is a warning if a section isn't closed at the end of any
> file which starts with a docinfo block:
>
> $ cd libs/core/doc
> $ git checkout 064cfd3d732621bea36733ca3c4e513c83654418^
> $ quickbook core.qbk
> Generating Output File: core.xml
> core.qbk: warning: Missing [endsect] detected at end of file.
>
> Although I imagine it can easily get lost in all the output from boost
> build, doxygen and boostbook.

It does, that's the problem.

> Could add an option to make it an error I suppose.

I can't imagine why we'd want that to not be an error, although at this
point making it an error would probably break something that used to work
fine.

Thinking about it a bit more, what'd be really nice to have is a way to
validate .qbk files that could be invoked from Travis/Appveyor, so that we
can run that in PRs. But the problem here is that this validator would
ideally be written in Python, so as to not require building Quickbook.
(Similar to how I had to partially port Boostdep to Python to be able to use
it in CI to install dependencies.)

Re: [quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

Boost - Dev mailing list
> Thinking about it a bit more, what'd be really nice to have is a way to
> validate .qbk files that could be invoked from Travis/Appveyor, so that we
> can run that in PRs. But the problem here is that this validator would
> ideally be written in Python, so as to not require building Quickbook.

On second thought, the idea of rewriting Quickbook in Python is a bit
stupid. There is a prebuilt Quickbook in libboost-dev, but it's 1.46 on
Ubuntu Precise which Travis uses, so it will not contain our hypothetical
strict validation options. We could bite the bullet and build it from
source, I suppose. But...

D:\tmp2\boost>python2.7.exe tools/boostdep/depinst/depinst.py
../tools/quickbook

Installing module core
Installing module preprocessor
Installing module iterator
Installing module algorithm
Installing module tuple
Installing module bind
Installing module smart_ptr
Installing module unordered
Installing module assert
Installing module range
Installing module program_options
Installing module foreach
Installing module filesystem
Installing module lexical_cast
Installing module config
Installing module spirit
Installing module iostreams
Installing module utility
Installing module locale
Installing module move
Installing module functional
Installing module system
Installing module tti
Installing module concept_check
Installing module io
Installing module integer
Installing module array
Installing module regex
Installing module static_assert
Installing module container
Installing module predef
Installing module proto
Installing module detail
Installing module any
Installing module type_traits
Installing module numeric/conversion
Installing module function
Installing module tokenizer
Installing module random
Installing module phoenix
Installing module mpl
Installing module endian
Installing module variant
Installing module conversion
Installing module fusion
Installing module serialization
Installing module optional
Installing module pool
Installing module function_types
Installing module exception
Installing module thread
Installing module typeof
Installing module math
Installing module throw_exception
Installing module type_index
Installing module atomic
Installing module intrusive
Installing module winapi
Installing module date_time
Installing module chrono
Installing module lambda
Installing module ratio
Installing module rational

Hmm. :-)

Re: [quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

Boost - Dev mailing list
> We could bite the bullet and build [Quickbook] from source, I suppose.

There's something wrong with the DIST_BIN logic in Quickbook's Jamfile,
because:

D:\tmp2\boost>b2 tools/quickbook
Performing configuration checks

    - 32-bit                   : yes (cached)
    - arm                      : no  (cached)
    - mips1                    : no  (cached)
    - power                    : no  (cached)
    - sparc                    : no  (cached)
    - x86                      : yes (cached)
    - symlinks supported       : no  (cached)
    - junctions supported      : yes (cached)
    - hardlinks supported      : yes (cached)
...patience...
...patience...
...found 3485 targets...
...updating 5 targets...
common.mkdir D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2
The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.

        if not exist "D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\\" mkdir "D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2"

...failed common.mkdir D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2...
...skipped D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost for lack of D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2...
...skipped D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost\dist for lack of
D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost...
...skipped D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost\dist\bin for lack of
D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost\dist...
...skipped <pD:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost\dist\bin>quickbook.exe for lack of
D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost\dist\bin...
...failed updating 1 target...
...skipped 4 targets...

Also, the customary location for the build Jamfile is in build/, so that the
usual invocation

    b2 tools/quickbook/build

works, although that's a bit pedantic.

Re: [quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

> There is a prebuilt Quickbook in libboost-dev, but it's 1.46 on Ubuntu
> Precise which Travis uses, so it will not contain our hypothetical strict
> validation options. We could bite the bullet and build it from source, I
> suppose. But...

On further reflection, the obvious way to make Quickbook available for
Travis/Appveyor builds is to just publish binaries using the Github release
system.

We'll still need a way to enable "strict mode" though, either from within
the document, or via a command line option.

On 17 March 2017 at 14:46, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> There is a prebuilt Quickbook in libboost-dev, but it's 1.46 on Ubuntu
>> Precise which Travis uses, so it will not contain our hypothetical strict
>> validation options. We could bite the bullet and build it from source, I
>> suppose. But...
>

> On further reflection, the obvious way to make Quickbook available for
> Travis/Appveyor builds is to just publish binaries using the Github release
> system.

Perhaps something like this?

https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/.travis.yml#L13

Daniel James wrote:
> > On further reflection, the obvious way to make Quickbook available for
> > Travis/Appveyor builds is to just publish binaries using the Github
> > release system.
>
> Perhaps something like this?
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/website/blob/master/.travis.yml#L13

Something like this :-)

On 16 March 2017 at 14:29, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> There's something wrong with the DIST_BIN logic in Quickbook's Jamfile,
> because:

It looks like the problem is that 'is-rooted' in
'tools/build/src/util/path.jam' doesn't support windows paths, so
'path.root' in the same file is concatenating absolute paths, giving
'D:\tmp2\boost\D:\tmp2\boost\dist\bin'. But I can't check that as I'm
not set up on windows. If I'm right then is-rooted really needs to be
fixed, but can you try the attached patch? It assumes that BOOST_ROOT
is always absolute, which I think is the case.

quickbook-build.patch (750 bytes) Download Attachment

Daniel James wrote:

> If I'm right then is-rooted really needs to be fixed, but can you try the
> attached patch? It assumes that BOOST_ROOT is always absolute, which I
> think is the case.

This works, quickbook gets built and copied to $BOOST_ROOT/dist/bin. But
then

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe
C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --help
C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --input-file
libs\mp11\doc\mp11.qbk --output-file test.xml

By the look of it, a UTF-16 string is probably being output as 8 bit. I'll
try to debug it. (test.xml does end up being created, so it works, it's just
the console output that's missing.)

On 18 March 2017 at 21:00, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> If I'm right then is-rooted really needs to be fixed, but can you try the
>> attached patch? It assumes that BOOST_ROOT is always absolute, which I think
>> is the case.
>

> This works, quickbook gets built and copied to $BOOST_ROOT/dist/bin. But
> then
>
> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe
> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --help
> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --input-file
> libs\mp11\doc\mp11.qbk --output-file test.xml
>
> By the look of it, a UTF-16 string is probably being output as 8 bit. I'll
> try to debug it. (test.xml does end up being created, so it works, it's just
> the console output that's missing.)

If the console output isn't working, it'd probably be better to just
use ASCII rather than waste time fixing the code (which is very
messy). It'll be fine for most output, quickbook will still support
UTF-8 in the xml output.

Re: [quickbook] diagnosing a missing [endsect]?

> This works, quickbook gets built and copied to $BOOST_ROOT/dist/bin. But
> then
>
> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe
> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --help
> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --input-file
> libs\mp11\doc\mp11.qbk --output-file test.xml
>
> By the look of it, a UTF-16 string is probably being output as 8 bit.

My default toolset is msvc-8.0, and it seems that std::wcout doesn't quite
work there, although the trick with _setmode(_fileno(stdout), _O_U16TEXT)
does enable wprintf et al.

So I tried 14.0. Turns out that it's too new:

actions.cpp
c:\projects\boost-git\boost\tools\quickbook\src\utils.hpp(40): error C2280:
'boost::basic_string_ref<char,std::char_traits<char>>::basic_string_ref<std::allocator<char>>(std::basic_string<char,std::char_traits<char>,std::allocator<char>>
&&)': attempting to reference a deleted function
.\boost/utility/string_ref.hpp(98): note: see declaration of
'boost::basic_string_ref<char,std::char_traits<char>>::basic_string_ref'

I then tried 12.0, same error. Still too new. 11.0 worked though, yay.

C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --help
Allowed options:
  --help                    produce help message
  --version                 print version string
  --no-pretty-print         disable XML pretty printing
  --no-self-linked-headers  stop headers linking to themselves
  --indent arg              indent spaces
  --linewidth arg           line width
  --input-file arg          input file
  --output-file arg         output file
  --output-deps arg         output dependency file
  --ms-errors               use Microsoft Visual Studio style error & warn
                            message format
  -I [ --include-path ] arg include path
  -D [ --define ] arg       define macro
  --image-location arg      image location

Here's the same error from g++ 6.3 -std=c++1z:

tools\quickbook\src\actions.cpp: In function 'void
quickbook::role_action(quickbook::state&, quickbook::value)':
tools\quickbook\src\actions.cpp:339:35: error: use of deleted function
'boost::basic_string_ref<charT,
traits>::basic_string_ref(std::basic_string<CharT, Traits, Alloc>&&) [with
Allocator = std::allocator<char>; charT = char; traits =
std::char_traits<char>]'
                 state.phrase.get());
                                   ^
In file included from tools\quickbook\src\fwd.hpp:16:0,
                 from tools\quickbook\src\quickbook.hpp:19,
                 from tools\quickbook\src\actions.cpp:24:
./boost/utility/string_ref.hpp:98:9: note: declared here
         basic_string_ref(      std::basic_string<charT, traits,
Allocator>&&)
         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This looks like the string_ref issue someone already complained about. Your
Travis probably missed it because it tests against 1.63.0 instead of
depinst.py'ing its way to freedom, democracy and the American way. (Distant
bald eagle cry.)

On 18 March 2017 at 21:47, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> This works, quickbook gets built and copied to $BOOST_ROOT/dist/bin. But
>> then
>>
>> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe
>> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --help
>> C:\Projects\boost-git\boost>dist\bin\quickbook.exe --input-file
>> libs\mp11\doc\mp11.qbk --output-file test.xml
>>
>> By the look of it, a UTF-16 string is probably being output as 8 bit.
>

> My default toolset is msvc-8.0, and it seems that std::wcout doesn't quite
> work there, although the trick with _setmode(_fileno(stdout), _O_U16TEXT)
> does enable wprintf et al.

Looking at the code I expected UTF-16 to work for Visual C++ 7.1 and
up, so I'm going to download Visual Studio 2008 and give it a go.

> tools\quickbook\src\actions.cpp: In function 'void
> quickbook::role_action(quickbook::state&, quickbook::value)':
> tools\quickbook\src\actions.cpp:339:35: error: use of deleted function
> 'boost::basic_string_ref<charT,
> traits>::basic_string_ref(std::basic_string<CharT, Traits, Alloc>&&) [with
> Allocator = std::allocator<char>; charT = char; traits =
> std::char_traits<char>]'
>                 state.phrase.get());
>                                   ^
> In file included from tools\quickbook\src\fwd.hpp:16:0,
>                 from tools\quickbook\src\quickbook.hpp:19,
>                 from tools\quickbook\src\actions.cpp:24:
> ./boost/utility/string_ref.hpp:98:9: note: declared here
>         basic_string_ref(      std::basic_string<charT, traits,
> Allocator>&&)
>         ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

IIRC one of the main use cases for string_ref was so that functions
would just need a single overload to accept strings, so that's a bit
annoying. I'll wait and see if it changes after the beta.

> This looks like the string_ref issue someone already complained about. Your
> Travis probably missed it because it tests against 1.63.0 instead of
> depinst.py'ing its way to freedom, democracy and the American way. (Distant
> bald eagle cry.)

Everything looks like a nail? If i wanted to test against master, I
would download a snapshot. But even if I did that, the travis tests
wouldn't have caught this, as I only run them in C++03 mode. For a few
reasons, I don't think Travis is an appropriate place for testing the
dependencies of quickbook. Would be better to add it to the main
testing setup, but I've never been motivated enough to do that. My
main concern is that the automated builds work, and I'm not going to
put a lot of effort into guaranteeing constant support for other
configurations.

Daniel James wrote:
> > My default toolset is msvc-8.0, and it seems that std::wcout doesn't
> > quite work there, although the trick with _setmode(_fileno(stdout),
> > _O_U16TEXT) does enable wprintf et al.
>
> Looking at the code I expected UTF-16 to work for Visual C++ 7.1 and up,
> so I'm going to download Visual Studio 2008 and give it a go.

Not sure you should bother with that; I doubt that anyone uses 8.0 any
longer (which is 2005 by the way, 2008 is 9.0). I'll bump my default to
something modern.

I'm more interested in our original topic, that is, there to be a way to
validate a .qbk file such that (a) the warning for a missing [endsect] to be
an error (and the same applies to other similar warnings, if there are any)
and (b) unmatched [section]/[endsect] in an included .qbk to also be treated
the same way if the .qbk marked as self-contained in some unspecified way
(not sure that a docinfo block is the best way to mark for our purposes,
although I'm not exactly an expert.)

People would then be able to add a doc validation step to Travis, or to
change their doc Jamfiles to enable strict mode so that "b2 doc" fails
properly when it detects such mistakes.

On 22 March 2017 at 03:00, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm more interested in our original topic, that is, there to be a way to
> validate a .qbk file such that (a) the warning for a missing [endsect] to be
> an error (and the same applies to other similar warnings, if there are any)

I'm working on it:

https://github.com/danieljames/quickbook/commit/68f11c3854b69173f321332f2cfa697314ea4712

> and (b) unmatched [section]/[endsect] in an included .qbk to also be treated
> the same way if the .qbk marked as self-contained in some unspecified way
> (not sure that a docinfo block is the best way to mark for our purposes,
> although I'm not exactly an expert.)

Less of a priority. It's been years since I implemented that warning,
and this is the first time that's come up.

Daniel James wrote:

> Everything looks like a nail? If i wanted to test against master, I would
> download a snapshot. But even if I did that, the travis tests wouldn't
> have caught this, as I only run them in C++03 mode. For a few reasons, I
> don't think Travis is an appropriate place for testing the dependencies of
> quickbook. Would be better to add it to the main testing setup, but I've
> never been motivated enough to do that. My main concern is that the
> automated builds work, and I'm not going to put a lot of effort into
> guaranteeing constant support for other configurations.

Well currently, "b2 doc" would fail for everyone using Visual Studio
2013/2015/2017 or g++ 6. It would have failed for me had I not been using
the ancient 8.0 as a default.

In general, and this is not directed at you personally, the point of testing
develop against boostorg:develop is to catch such breaking changes as the
current string_ref one early, before they reach the release. Downstream
dependencies effectively serve as an integration test for lower-level
libraries.

Daniel James wrote:

> On 22 March 2017 at 03:00, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > I'm more interested in our original topic, that is, there to be a way to
> > validate a .qbk file such that (a) the warning for a missing [endsect]
> > to be an error (and the same applies to other similar warnings, if there
> > are any)
>
> I'm working on it:
>
> https://github.com/danieljames/quickbook/commit/68f11c3854b69173f321332f2cfa697314ea4712

Thanks!

 On 22 March 2017 at 11:49, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Well currently, "b2 doc" would fail for everyone using Visual Studio
> 2013/2015/2017 or g++ 6. It would have failed for me had I not been using
> the ancient 8.0 as a default.

Then they file a bug report, and I fix it at a leisurely pace,
suggesting they use a binary from the last release that worked. It's
not ideal, but that's life for you.

> In general, and this is not directed at you personally, the point of testing
> develop against boostorg:develop is to catch such breaking changes as the
> current string_ref one early, before they reach the release. Downstream
> dependencies effectively serve as an integration test for lower-level
> libraries.

Travis is an awful mechanism for doing that as it only runs when
there's a commit to the submodule being tested, which might not be
regular. As it happens, the change to string_ref that caused this
issue was on the 13th of February, the last commit to quickbook before
you reported this was on the 12th of February.

Daniel James wrote:

> Travis is an awful mechanism for doing that as it only runs when there's a
> commit to the submodule being tested, which might not be regular.

It's a stochastic testing method, three time winner of the highly acclaimed
"still better than nothing" award.

On 22 March 2017 at 22:14, Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Daniel James wrote:
>
>> Travis is an awful mechanism for doing that as it only runs when there's a
>> commit to the submodule being tested, which might not be regular.
>

> It's a stochastic testing method, three time winner of the highly acclaimed
> "still better than nothing" award.

It's a negligible difference.

12