[poly_collection] Needs a 'develop' branch

[poly_collection] Needs a 'develop' branch

Boost - Dev mailing list
The new library Boost poly_collection only has a 'master' branch. It
needs to have a 'develop' branch also.

Re: [poly_collection] Needs a 'develop' branch

Boost - Dev mailing list
El 01/11/2017 a las 4:13, Edward Diener via Boost escribió:
> The new library Boost poly_collection only has a 'master' branch. It
> needs to have
> a 'develop' branch also.

Hi Edward,

poly_collection does have a develop branch; see for instance how it's
being tested at:

http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/poly_collection.html

Maybe you can describe what exactly you are seeing from your side? Thank
you,

Joaquín M López Muñoz

On 11/1/2017 4:19 AM, Joaquin M López Muñoz via Boost wrote:

> El 01/11/2017 a las 4:13, Edward Diener via Boost escribió:
>> The new library Boost poly_collection only has a 'master' branch. It
>> needs to have
>> a 'develop' branch also.
>
> Hi Edward,
>
> poly_collection does have a develop branch; see for instance how it's
> being tested at:
>
> http://www.boost.org/development/tests/develop/developer/poly_collection.html
>

> Maybe you can describe what exactly you are seeing from your side? Thank
> you,

It's the git gui I use on Windows, TortoiseGit. Evidently there is a
delay updating remote git repository views. I need to check online
instead. Sorry for the noise.

On 2/11/2017 01:07, Edward Diener wrote:
> It's the git gui I use on Windows, TortoiseGit. Evidently there is a
> delay updating remote git repository views. I need to check online
> instead. Sorry for the noise.

By default you only see branches that you have checked out or copied
locally.  You need to look under remotes/origin to see remote branches,
and they are not updated until you do a Fetch/Pull.

(This is the same with command-line git.  It is also possible to
configure git to only fetch specific remote branches, but it's harder to
do that from TortoiseGit alone so you have to be actively trying to do
it, so this is unlikely to be your issue.)

On 11/1/2017 6:09 PM, Gavin Lambert via Boost wrote:
> On 2/11/2017 01:07, Edward Diener wrote:
>> It's the git gui I use on Windows, TortoiseGit. Evidently there is a
>> delay updating remote git repository views. I need to check online
>> instead. Sorry for the noise.
>
> By default you only see branches that you have checked out or copied
> locally.  You need to look under remotes/origin to see remote branches,
> and they are not updated until you do a Fetch/Pull.

So between one fetch/pull and another fetch/pull TortoiseGit will not
show a new remote branch anywhere ? OK, thanks for the information. I
did not know what it took for TortoiseGit to update its information for
a remote repository.

On 2/11/2017 11:25, Edward Diener wrote:
> On 11/1/2017 6:09 PM, Gavin Lambert wrote:
>> By default you only see branches that you have checked out or copied
>> locally.  You need to look under remotes/origin to see remote
>> branches, and they are not updated until you do a Fetch/Pull.
>
> So between one fetch/pull and another fetch/pull TortoiseGit will not
> show a new remote branch anywhere ? OK, thanks for the information. I
> did not know what it took for TortoiseGit to update its information for
> a remote repository.

Yes.  Essentially, fetch and push are the only operations that contact
the remote server.  (Although pull and submodule update can also trigger
a fetch internally.)

Everything else happens entirely locally.  Your remote/* branches are
just your cached copies of where they pointed the last time you fetched,
and may be out of date between fetches.

Similarly, your non-remote branches are left wherever you last left
them, and don't follow the remote branches automatically unless you
explicitly ask them to (by having that branch checked out and doing a
pull -r / Fetch&Rebase, or by re-creating the branch at the new commit).