pending vs detail headers

Boost - Dev mailing list
Is there any general guidance for moving headers out of boost/pending?  Do
we really need to include a forwarding stub for these?  I'd like to
consider headers in boost/pending as "not final" and therefore we should be
able to move headers out of there without leaving a forwarding stub.

Example: https://github.com/boostorg/dynamic_bitset/pull/24

- Jim

Re: pending vs detail headers

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 02/09/2018 03:03, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
> Is there any general guidance for moving headers out of boost/pending?  Do
> we really need to include a forwarding stub for these?  I'd like to
> consider headers in boost/pending as "not final" and therefore we should be
> able to move headers out of there without leaving a forwarding stub.

pending contains "useful stuff that hasn't been reviewed" - in other
words stuff that needed to be written to implement library X, but which
doesn't form part of it's interface and wasn't reviewed and doesn't
necessarily have the ultimate/best interface.  So.... you would need to
either:

1) Find another library where the component naturally belongs, and
persuade them to adopt it (maybe with changes), or
2) Get it reviewed as a component in it's own right.

Once it's "official" then the original library can be changed to use the
new version.

> Example: https://github.com/boostorg/dynamic_bitset/pull/24
>
> - Jim

---

On Sat, 1 Sep 2018, James E. King III via Boost wrote:

> Is there any general guidance for moving headers out of boost/pending?  Do
> we really need to include a forwarding stub for these?  I'd like to
> consider headers in boost/pending as "not final" and therefore we should be
> able to move headers out of there without leaving a forwarding stub.

Go for a pragmatic approach? Look for those headers, say in github and
stackoverflow. If you see many repositories where code includes the
header, and many stackoverflow questions about them, try and avoid
breaking them. If you don't see any, there may still be users somewhere,
but they are likely quite few and you don't need to care as much.

--
Marc Glisse

On 9/1/2018 10:03 PM, James E. King III via Boost wrote:
> Is there any general guidance for moving headers out of boost/pending?  Do
> we really need to include a forwarding stub for these?  I'd like to
> consider headers in boost/pending as "not final" and therefore we should be
> able to move headers out of there without leaving a forwarding stub.
>
> Example: https://github.com/boostorg/dynamic_bitset/pull/24

If the functionality in the headers is not documented you should be able
to move the headers as you wish, as the headers are just implementation
details.

James E. King III wrote:
> Is there any general guidance for moving headers out of boost/pending?  Do
> we really need to include a forwarding stub for these?  I'd like to
> consider headers in boost/pending as "not final" and therefore we should
> be able to move headers out of there without leaving a forwarding stub.
>
> Example: https://github.com/boostorg/dynamic_bitset/pull/24

The general approach should be to leave the forwarding stub with
BOOST_HEADER_DEPRECATED in it for a release or two, allowing existing users
to migrate, then remove; but for this to work there needs to be an
alternative to which people can migrate. Do we have an equivalent of
lowest_bit in Boost.Integer? Is it just log2?