[outcome] Fix with support for VS2017 Update 1

[outcome] Fix with support for VS2017 Update 1

Boost - Dev mailing list
Earlier today Vinnie Falco found that the peer review edition of Outcome
does not compile on Visual Studio 2017 Update 1.

I do apologise for this. Update 1 came out a few days before the peer
review edition was set in stone. I didn't know it had until now, and I
tested against VS2017 RTM, not Update 1.

I have applied a fix to develop branch and cherry picked just this fix
to the frozen master branch. You can find that fixed peer review edition
at this branch:

https://github.com/ned14/boost.outcome/tree/master_vs2017_fixed

I hope that this does not inconvenience people too much, and once again,
sorry.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting

Re: [outcome] Fix with support for VS2017 Update 1

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://github.com/ned14/boost.outcome/tree/master_vs2017_fixed

Great thanks for updating this so quickly! Unfortunately, there's a
new problem. With the master branch I can generate .vcxproj files with
CMake, but I can no longer do that with the master_vs_2017_fixed
branch. The output of CMake is as follows:

---

$ cmake ..
-- Could NOT find PythonInterp (missing:  PYTHON_EXECUTABLE)
-- Reusing cached scan of project outcome ...
-- Found boost-lite depended upon by boost::outcome at embedded
include/boost/outcome/boo    st-lite
--   CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE =
-- Could NOT find PythonInterp (missing:  PYTHON_EXECUTABLE)
--   Reusing cached scan of project boost-lite ...
--   NOTE: NOT compiling header only library for boost-lite into a C++
Module nor a preco    mpiled header due to this project not providing
a master interface header file
-- NOTE: NOT compiling header only library for outcome into a C++
Module nor a precompile    d header due to this MSVC does not
sufficiently support C++ Modules, and MSVC cannot shar    e
precompiled headers between targets
CMake Warning at
include/boost/outcome/boost-lite/cmake/BoostLiteUtils.cmake:77
(message)    :
  NOT rebuilding precompiled edition of library due to python not being
  installed
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  CMakeLists.txt:40 (indented_message)

CMake Warning at
include/boost/outcome/boost-lite/cmake/BoostLiteUtils.cmake:77
(message)    :
  WARNING: .clang-tidy file found for project outcome, yet clang-tidy not on
  PATH so disabling lint pass
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  include/boost/outcome/boost-lite/cmake/BoostLiteMakeStandardTests.cmake:11
(indented_me    ssage)
  CMakeLists.txt:134 (include)

-- Creating non-default all target for special build outcome-sa
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to:
C:/Users/vinnie/lib/boost_1_64_0/libs/outcome/bin

I will see what I can do in order to get past this.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> https://github.com/ned14/boost.outcome/tree/master_vs2017_fixed

Okay, with Python 2.7.13 installed, I was able to generate the
.vcxproj using the cmake build scripts included with Outcome. I opened
the solution and I was able to build all but one project
(outcome_docs.vcxproj):

========== Rebuild All: 22 succeeded, 1 failed, 10 skipped ==========

This is good enough for me to move forward, thanks!

Re: [outcome] Fix with support for VS2017 Update 1

Boost - Dev mailing list
> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 11:39 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> https://github.com/ned14/boost.outcome/tree/master_vs2017_fixed
>
> Okay, with Python 2.7.13 installed, I was able to generate the
> .vcxproj using the cmake build scripts included with Outcome. I opened
> the solution and I was able to build all but one project
> (outcome_docs.vcxproj):

I'm glad you got it working, but looking at your earlier cmake build log
it looked to me like it was correctly skipping all optional build steps
which require Python. It was warning you sure, but not failing.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting