[math, Tru64, V2] compex_test failures

Vladimir Prus

Markus,
there's a failure of math/complex_test on Tru64:

   http://tinyurl.com/zu33q

I can't make much of it, so I'd suspect that there's some "make floating point
more accurate" option that's passed in V1, and not passed in V2.

Unfortunately, CVS does not contain tru64cxx71-006 toolset, so I can't compare
the command lines myself.

Any change you'll run the test with V1 and V2 (with -a -n, to get just commnad
lines), compare the compile command lines and tell me if there are any
significant differences, or just send the command lines to me?

Thanks in advance,
Volodya

Re: [math, Tru64, V2] compex_test failures

Bugzilla from markus.schoepflin@comsoft.de
Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Markus,
> there's a failure of math/complex_test on Tru64:
>
>    http://tinyurl.com/zu33q
>
> I can't make much of it, so I'd suspect that there's some "make floating point
> more accurate" option that's passed in V1, and not passed in V2.
>
> Unfortunately, CVS does not contain tru64cxx71-006 toolset, so I can't compare
> the command lines myself.
>
> Any change you'll run the test with V1 and V2 (with -a -n, to get just commnad
> lines), compare the compile command lines and tell me if there are any
> significant differences, or just send the command lines to me?

I added the needed flag to the my local configuration just today. It's
-ieee and needed to enforce IEEE conforming math operations. It's never
been part of the basic toolset because usually the IEEE conformance of the
CPU itself is good enough, and using this flags may incur a significant
performance penalty. So I would recommend not to add it to the basic toolset.

Strictly speaking it should be there for all math relevant boost libraries
which depend on IEEE conforming math, but I always thoughr that anyone
using this libraries on Alpha CPUs will know about the pitfalls.

The tests passes locally with my current V2 toolset, and there will be a
fresh non-incremental regression run over the weekend, therefore it should
show up green soon.

Markus

Re: [math, Tru64, V2] compex_test failures

John Maddock
> I added the needed flag to the my local configuration just today. It's
> -ieee and needed to enforce IEEE conforming math operations. It's
> never
> been part of the basic toolset because usually the IEEE conformance
> of the CPU itself is good enough, and using this flags may incur a
> significant performance penalty. So I would recommend not to add it
> to the basic toolset.
>
> Strictly speaking it should be there for all math relevant boost
> libraries which depend on IEEE conforming math, but I always thoughr
> that anyone
> using this libraries on Alpha CPUs will know about the pitfalls.

I suspect the issue is that numeric_limits<T>::has_infinity is true, so the
test attempts to verify that infinities are correctly handled, but in
practice infinities trap without the -ieee flag.  Is there a macro that
tells you when infinities are correctly handled?

John.

Re: [math, Tru64, V2] compex_test failures

Bugzilla from markus.schoepflin@comsoft.de
John Maddock wrote:

[...]

> I suspect the issue is that numeric_limits<T>::has_infinity is true, so the
> test attempts to verify that infinities are correctly handled, but in
> practice infinities trap without the -ieee flag.  Is there a macro that
> tells you when infinities are correctly handled?

-ieee sets the macro _IEEE_FP.

Markus

Re: [math, Tru64, V2] compex_test failures

John Maddock
> -ieee sets the macro _IEEE_FP.

Thanks!

John.