[license] Boost license question

Boost - Dev mailing list
If some compiler vendor takes a version of Boost and makes changes to
that version of Boost to suit the particular compiler, while
distributing that version with full source code as an optional part of
some release of that compiler, does this mean that the code is now
proprietary for that compiler vendor ? Or does the code still remain
open source so that a programmer can use the changes made to update his
own version of a Boost release or provide PRs to some later release of
Boost based on the code in the compiler vendor's release ?

Re: [license] Boost license question

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Edward Diener via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> If some compiler vendor takes a version of Boost and makes changes to
> that version of Boost to suit the particular compiler, while
> distributing that version with full source code as an optional part of
> some release of that compiler, does this mean that the code is now
> proprietary for that compiler vendor ? Or does the code still remain
> open source so that a programmer can use the changes made to update his
> own version of a Boost release or provide PRs to some later release of
> Boost based on the code in the compiler vendor's release ?

Depends entirely on what license they made the changes available as.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

On 23/01/2020 19:19, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Edward Diener via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If some compiler vendor takes a version of Boost and makes changes to
>> that version of Boost to suit the particular compiler, while
>> distributing that version with full source code as an optional part of
>> some release of that compiler, does this mean that the code is now
>> proprietary for that compiler vendor ? Or does the code still remain
>> open source so that a programmer can use the changes made to update his
>> own version of a Boost release or provide PRs to some later release of
>> Boost based on the code in the compiler vendor's release ?
>>
> Depends entirely on what license they made the changes available as.

Yup, if they don't copyright the changes, then it's still all BSL, but
they are allowed to make their changes proprietary.

If you're thinking of moving changes upstream into Boost, then I suggest
you just drop them a line and see how they feel about that.

John.

On 1/23/2020 2:29 PM, John Maddock via Boost wrote:

> On 23/01/2020 19:19, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 1:13 PM Edward Diener via Boost <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> If some compiler vendor takes a version of Boost and makes changes to
>>> that version of Boost to suit the particular compiler, while
>>> distributing that version with full source code as an optional part of
>>> some release of that compiler, does this mean that the code is now
>>> proprietary for that compiler vendor ? Or does the code still remain
>>> open source so that a programmer can use the changes made to update his
>>> own version of a Boost release or provide PRs to some later release of
>>> Boost based on the code in the compiler vendor's release ?
>>>
>> Depends entirely on what license they made the changes available as.
>
> Yup, if they don't copyright the changes, then it's still all BSL, but
> they are allowed to make their changes proprietary.
>
> If you're thinking of moving changes upstream into Boost, then I suggest
> you just drop them a line and see how they feel about that.

Where would I be expected to find some indication whether they have made
their changes proprietary ? Is it required to be in each source file, or
is it required to be in some other place related to the Boost
distribution they supply, and if so where ?

I have been in contact with one of their representatives, so I will ask
him point blank about it, but I did want to know in advance if there was
any requirement they specify their copyright changes in some particular
place related to their distribution of the source code.

Re: [license] Boost license question

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 4:57 PM Edward Diener via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/23/2020 2:29 PM, John Maddock via Boost wrote:
> >
> > On 23/01/2020 19:19, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:

> >> Depends entirely on what license they made the changes available as.
> >
> > Yup, if they don't copyright the changes, then it's still all BSL, but
> > they are allowed to make their changes proprietary.
> >
> > If you're thinking of moving changes upstream into Boost, then I suggest
> > you just drop them a line and see how they feel about that.
>
> Where would I be expected to find some indication whether they have made
> their changes proprietary ? Is it required to be in each source file, or
> is it required to be in some other place related to the Boost
> distribution they supply, and if so where ?
>
> I have been in contact with one of their representatives, so I will ask
> him point blank about it, but I did want to know in advance if there was
> any requirement they specify their copyright changes in some particular
> place related to their distribution of the source code.

If they made changes they want to claim copyright on they would have needed
to add their copyright statement to each source file they made significant
changes to. But only if they are existing source files. For new files it
can by anywhere they want (including nowhere). Note that if they did make
changes and the copyright is no clear as a user I would avoid using the
entirety of their included Boost distribution. As there would be no way to
know the provenance of their changes and corresponding usage rights.

On 1/23/2020 9:55 PM, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 4:57 PM Edward Diener via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Yup, if they don't copyright the changes, then it's still all BSL, but
>>> they are allowed to make their changes proprietary.
>>>
>>> If you're thinking of moving changes upstream into Boost, then I suggest
>>> you just drop them a line and see how they feel about that.
>>
>> Where would I be expected to find some indication whether they have made
>> their changes proprietary ? Is it required to be in each source file, or
>> is it required to be in some other place related to the Boost
>> distribution they supply, and if so where ?
>>
>> I have been in contact with one of their representatives, so I will ask
>> him point blank about it, but I did want to know in advance if there was
>> any requirement they specify their copyright changes in some particular
>> place related to their distribution of the source code.
>>

> If they made changes they want to claim copyright on they would have needed
> to add their copyright statement to each source file they made significant
> changes to. But only if they are existing source files. For new files it
> can by anywhere they want (including nowhere). Note that if they did make
> changes and the copyright is no clear as a user I would avoid using the
> entirety of their included Boost distribution. As there would be no way to
> know the provenance of their changes and corresponding usage rights.

I can assert that there is no new copyright in any of the source files
to which changes have been made to support the particular compiler
vendor, nor has the copyright that was previously in the source files
changed at all. I also do not see any new files in the distribution that
was not there before. Of course I can still ask them if they consider
their distribution proprietary. If they answer 'yes' I suppose I can
then point out to them that they have not changed the copyright for the
source files they modified at all.

On 2020-01-24 06:59, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> On 1/23/2020 9:55 PM, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 4:57 PM Edward Diener via Boost <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Where would I be expected to find some indication whether they have made
>>> their changes proprietary ? Is it required to be in each source file, or
>>> is it required to be in some other place related to the Boost
>>> distribution they supply, and if so where ?
>>>
>>> I have been in contact with one of their representatives, so I will ask
>>> him point blank about it, but I did want to know in advance if there was
>>> any requirement they specify their copyright changes in some particular
>>> place related to their distribution of the source code.
>>>

>> If they made changes they want to claim copyright on they would have
>> needed
>> to add their copyright statement to each source file they made
>> significant
>> changes to. But only if they are existing source files. For new files it
>> can by anywhere they want (including nowhere). Note that if they did make
>> changes and the copyright is no clear as a user I would avoid using the
>> entirety of their included Boost distribution. As there would be no
>> way to
>> know the provenance of their changes and corresponding usage rights.
>
> I can assert that there is no new copyright in any of the source files
> to which changes have been made to support the particular compiler
> vendor, nor has the copyright that was previously in the source files
> changed at all. I also do not see any new files in the distribution that
> was not there before. Of course I can still ask them if they consider
> their distribution proprietary. If they answer 'yes' I suppose I can
> then point out to them that they have not changed the copyright for the
> source files they modified at all.

If there is some sort of EULA associated with the compiler, the
licensing terms for their changes may be outlined there.

But asking them directly is more reliable, of course.