library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list
I'm curious about how I might go about discovering and contacting the
person(s) who might be maintaining a particular library.  As an example,
I have a couple of questions about possible enhancements to the boost
interval library (what about making this constexpr?).

Ideally, I'd like to see a summary page for each library which steers me
to the appropriate links like issues, comments/issues page, maintainence
status etc. such as the boost library incubator has.  Actually, I
considered just adding these pages to the boost library incubator
website, but I didn't have the motivation and it might stir a pot I
personally don't want to stir right now.

Robert Ramey

Re: library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list
AMDG

On 12/23/2017 02:32 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> I'm curious about how I might go about discovering and contacting the
> person(s) who might be maintaining a particular library.  As an example,
> I have a couple of questions about possible enhancements to the boost
> interval library (what about making this constexpr?).
>
> Ideally, I'd like to see a summary page for each library which steers me
> to the appropriate links like issues, comments/issues page, maintainence
> status etc. such as the boost library incubator has.  Actually, I
> considered just adding these pages to the boost library incubator
> website, but I didn't have the motivation and it might stir a pot I
> personally don't want to stir right now.

There's libs/maintainers.txt.  Not sure how up-to-date it is.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: library maintainer list

On 23.12.2017 16:32, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:
> I'm curious about how I might go about discovering and contacting the
> person(s) who might be maintaining a particular library.  As an
> example, I have a couple of questions about possible enhancements to
> the boost interval library (what about making this constexpr?).
I think
https://github.com/boostorg/interval/blob/develop/meta/libraries.json
ought to provide that information.

> Ideally, I'd like to see a summary page for each library which steers
> me to the appropriate links like issues, comments/issues page,
> maintainence status etc. such as the boost library incubator has.
> Actually, I considered just adding these pages to the boost library
> incubator website, but I didn't have the motivation and it might stir
> a pot I personally don't want to stir right now.

I fully agree, the landing page of each library ought to provide such a
table (possibly automatically populated from data in the respective
meta/libraries.json file). Initially that could be fully automated, and
missing information could be filled in with default values, so library
maintainers can replace them with whatever they need.

(If we really must, we an of course also generate a global page that
presents all those library-specific data in a single place. But that
page should always be generated from library-specific metadata.)

Stefan

Re: library maintainer list

On Sat, 23 Dec 2017, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> I'm curious about how I might go about discovering and contacting the
> person(s) who might be maintaining a particular library.

Pessimistic view: start with the CMT page and check if the library is
listed there :-(

> As an example, I have a couple of questions about possible enhancements
> to the boost interval library

Indeed, CMT.

> (what about making this constexpr?).

That's going to be hard, unless you are happy with making only trivial
things (construct, copy) constexpr.

--
Marc Glisse

Re: library maintainer list

On Sat, Dec 23, 2017 at 4:32 PM, Robert Ramey via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm curious about how I might go about discovering and contacting the
> person(s) who might be maintaining a particular library.  As an example, I
> have a couple of questions about possible enhancements to the boost
> interval library (what about making this constexpr?).
>
> Ideally, I'd like to see a summary page for each library which steers me
> to the appropriate links like issues, comments/issues page, maintainence
> status etc. such as the boost library incubator has.  Actually, I
> considered just adding these pages to the boost library incubator website,
> but I didn't have the motivation and it might stir a pot I personally don't
> want to stir right now.
>
> Robert Ramey

Boost.Interval is maintained by the CMT:

https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/CommunityMaintenance

- Jim

Re: library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 24 December 2017 at 16:25, James E. King, III via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Boost.Interval is maintained by the CMT:
>
> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/CommunityMaintenance

The maintainers field in the metadata should probably be updated for
community maintenance libraries. I don't think it has to have an email
address.

Re: library maintainer list

On 12/23/17 11:59 PM, Marc Glisse wrote:

>> (what about making this constexpr?).
> That's going to be hard, unless you are happy with making only trivial
> things (construct, copy) constexpr
How come?  I looked at the code it seems doable.  When I first looked at
the code some months ago, it seemed too hard to adapt to my use case.
So I made my own specific version.  Of course I was wrong and I now I
see that my original use case was ill-factored.  I do have my own
constexpr version, but now it should be about the same as the Boost
version.  Granted, this might be an ambitious, long and tedious change,
but I other than that, I don't see any fundamental obstacle to
implementing it.  Actually, I would much like to see the documentation
improved as well.  But by the time we're done, it's really interval2
rather than just a tweak to interval.

I've studied the package in some detail.  I believe it is well done -
but since it was done, I think we have somewhat expectations than we did
then.

--
Robert Ramey
www.rrsd.com

Re: library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> On 12/23/17 11:59 PM, Marc Glisse wrote:
>
>>> (what about making this constexpr?).
>> That's going to be hard, unless you are happy with making only trivial
>> things (construct, copy) constexpr
> How come?

How do you control the rounding mode at compile time?

--
Marc Glisse

Re: library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 12/24/17 10:30 AM, Marc Glisse wrote:
>>> That's going to be hard, unless you are happy with making only
>>> trivial things (construct, copy) constexpr
>> How come?
> How do you control the rounding mode at compile time?
Hmmm - I don't see anything special about rounding mode that would
prevent it from being constexpr.  The same sort of question could be
raised about lots of aspects of this or any other library.  One can't
really answer any of these questions until undertaking the task.  All or
most of the functions depend solely upon their parameters and have not
side effects.  But, in my recent experience, functions of this sort can
generally be made to support constexpr.

I'm sure there are functions for which supporting constexpr wouldn't be
worth it.  Transdental functions come to mind.  But I don't think that
everything would have to be constexpr in order to be useful.

There other things I'd like to see as well - basically template
parameter checking with BOOST_STATIC_ASSERT and better documentation of
requirements.

--
Robert Ramey
www.rrsd.com
(805)569-3793

Re: library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

> On 12/24/17 10:30 AM, Marc Glisse wrote:
>>> How come?
>> How do you control the rounding mode at compile time?
> Hmmm - I don't see anything special about rounding mode that would
> prevent it from being constexpr.

The way this currently works is you call fesetround or some asm to set the
rounding mode of the FPU, then do your floating point operations as usual,
with various tricks to prevent broken compilers (at least gcc and clang)
from reordering arithmetic with rounding mode changes. The only way I can
think of to make operations constexpr (without making them incredibly
slow) is to detect if they are called in a constexpr context, and in that
case provide a software emulation. Don't forget to use gcc's
-frounding-math flag to see how much you need to emulate...

> The same sort of question could be
> raised about lots of aspects of this or any other library.  One can't
> really answer any of these questions until undertaking the task.  All or
> most of the functions depend solely upon their parameters and have not
> side effects.  But, in my recent experience, functions of this sort can
> generally be made to support constexpr.
>
> I'm sure there are functions for which supporting constexpr wouldn't be
> worth it.  Transdental functions come to mind.  But I don't think that
> everything would have to be constexpr in order to be useful.

I think even addition or multiplication will not be so easy.

Or maybe you are interested in interval<int>? I was only ever interested
in interval<double>, but interval<int> should indeed be easy to make
constexpr.

--
Marc Glisse

Re: library maintainer list

Boost - Dev mailing list

On 12/24/17 11:20 AM, Marc Glisse wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2017, Robert Ramey via Boost wrote:

>>> How do you control the rounding mode at compile time?
>> Hmmm - I don't see anything special about rounding mode that would
>> prevent it from being constexpr.
>
> The way this currently works is you call fesetround or some asm to set
> the rounding mode of the FPU, then do your floating point operations
> as usual, with various tricks to prevent broken compilers (at least
> gcc and clang) from reordering arithmetic with rounding mode changes.
OK - good explanation
> The only way I can think of to make operations constexpr (without
> making them incredibly slow) is to detect if they are called in a
> constexpr context, and in that case provide a software emulation. ]
I tried but so far haven't found a way to detect whether a function is
being invoked at compile time or run time.  I have reason to believe
that it's possible, but as I said, I haven't found it yet. It's also
possible that the user invoke the functions with a different policy if
he's using it in a context which he expects it to be invoked at compile
time.  Actually, that would likely work in my case.
> Don't forget to use gcc's -frounding-math flag to see how much you
> need to emulate...
And efficiency isn't really an issue at compile time.

>> The same sort of question could be raised about lots of aspects of
>> this or any other library.  One can't really answer any of these
>> questions until undertaking the task.  All or most of the functions
>> depend solely upon their parameters and have not side effects.  But,
>> in my recent experience, functions of this sort can generally be made
>> to support constexpr.
>>
>> I'm sure there are functions for which supporting constexpr wouldn't
>> be worth it.  Transdental functions come to mind.  But I don't think
>> that everything would have to be constexpr in order to be useful.
>
> I think even addition or multiplication will not be so easy.
In my home brew version - which doesn't consider rounding error - these
operations haven't caused any problems.  Unfortunately, the only way to
really know is to try to do it.
> Or maybe you are interested in interval<int>? I was only ever
> interested in interval<double>, but interval<int> should indeed be
> easy to make constexpr.
That's what I've been working with right now.  Well, not quite, I'm
using interval<checked_result<int>> which is sort an extended integer
type.  But the interval code generic in that it's decoupled from the
type.  The current versions are remarkably easy, hence my interest in
seeing the official package support constexpr.

The considerations you mention above suggest that there would be a fair
amount of extra information required to use the library effectively.
That is, I think that the question of improved documentation would get
promoted from desirable, to necessary.

--
Robert Ramey
www.rrsd.com