how to generate PDF formate documentations of Boost?

how to generate PDF formate documentations of Boost?

Boost - Users mailing list
Hi, all in the list.

I plan to build boost documentation in pdf format for latest version of boost. However, it's no luck to me even following the link:
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/doc/html/boostbook/getting/started.html.
I can only find HTML formatted documentation for boost. I don't know what about the relationship between boost and doxygen. I also have no idea about the mechanism of the boostbook.

Any suggection?

Thanks in advance,

Easior Lars

Re: how to generate PDF formate documentations of Boost?

Boost - Users mailing list
On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 2:24 AM, easior via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I plan to build boost documentation in pdf format for latest version of
> boost. However, it's no luck to me even following the link:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/doc/html/boostbook/getting/started.html.

Wow, Boost 1.40 is now fairly old.

I've been using the information from
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted --
specifically with the XEP Personal Edition.

It might be worth remarking that I build Boost PDF documents on a Mac,
and I specifically build documentation for one particular library at a
time. I've never attempted to build a combined document for multiple
libraries.

On 01/07/2017 07:24, easior via Boost-users wrote:
> Hi, all in the list.
>
> I plan to build boost documentation in pdf format for latest version
> of boost.However, it's no luck to me even following the link:
> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_40_0/doc/html/boostbook/getting/started.html.
> I can only find HTML formatted documentation for boost. I don't know
> what aboutthe relationship between boost and doxygen. I also have no
> idea about themechanism of the boostbook.

As the person who used to build said PDF documentation, I confess to
having dropped the ball on that :(

There are quite a few tools you need to install before you can transform
docbook to PDF, the details are here:
https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted

Then there is a test to check your toolchain under boost-root/doc/test.

To build everything, you need to invoke the Jamfile under doc/pdf.
Unfortunately, this is likely to be hopelessly out of date - I'll see if
I get that working again...

John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: how to generate PDF formate documentations of Boost?

Boost - Users mailing list

Thank you for your comments.

    JMvB> As the person who used to build said PDF documentation, I confess to having
    JMvB> dropped the ball on that :(

    JMvB> There are quite a few tools you need to install before you can transform docbook
    JMvB> to PDF, the details are here:
    JMvB> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted

    JMvB> Then there is a test to check your toolchain under boost-root/doc/test.

    JMvB> To build everything, you need to invoke the Jamfile under doc/pdf. Unfortunately,
    JMvB> this is likely to be hopelessly out of date - I'll see if I get that working
    JMvB> again...

Were you successful in building PDF documentation of Boost?

--
Best wishes,

Easior Lars
------
"It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the
epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of
Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it
was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing
before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going
direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the
present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its
being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of
comparison only."

                               TALES OF TWO CITIES, by Charles Dickens

Re: how to generate PDF formate documentations of Boost?

    NGvB> On Sat, Jul 1, 2017 at 2:24 AM, easior via Boost-users
    NGvB> <[hidden email]> wrote:
    NGvB> Wow, Boost 1.40 is now fairly old.

    NGvB> I've been using the information from
    NGvB> https://svn.boost.org/trac10/wiki/BoostDocs/GettingStarted --
    NGvB> specifically with the XEP Personal Edition.

I have made some preparations on a Mac, following the above link.
However, it's no luck to me.

    NGvB> It might be worth remarking that I build Boost PDF documents on a Mac,
    NGvB> and I specifically build documentation for one particular library at a
    NGvB> time. I've never attempted to build a combined document for multiple
    NGvB> libraries.

How to reach your end of building specific documentation? Using
doxygen or jam file?

--
Best wishes,

Easior
------
"It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the
epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of
Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it
was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing
before us, we were all going direct to heaven, we were all going
direct the other way - in short, the period was so far like the
present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its
being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of
comparison only."

                               TALES OF TWO CITIES, by Charles Dickens

Re: how to generate PDF formate documentations of Boost?

SarahBishop
Downloads of PDF's for the last release are available from sf download page at http://sourceforge.net/projects/boost/files/.

SVN commit 51104 to trunk provides the basic support: improved fo.xsl stylesheet tweaked individual Jamfiles so they find their images etc when being built as a PDF, and adds doc/pdf/Jamfile.v2 to build all boost libraries that can be as individual PDF's.

The following default build options have been added to the fo.xsl stylesheet customization layer:

No indent on body text (we need all the horizontal space we can get for code blocks).
Left and right page margin 0.5in - a little small, but as above we need all the space we can get.
Paper type is A4 - it's an ISO standard, and just a little smaller than US letter so should print OK on both.
Draft mode is turned off so we don't go after draft.png just in case.
SVG graphics are used for admonishments.
Default path to search for images (if not overridden in a library's Jamfile) is the SVN repository.

192.168.1.1