[histogram] Objections against switch to C++14?

[histogram] Objections against switch to C++14?

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear reviewers of boost.histogram,

thank you again for your reviews. I am currently working on the issues raised during the review and some of the requested features would be easier to implement when the library standard is raised from C++11 to C++14. This only affects the implementation side, not the user side. It would make my life easier and the implementation code more readable, because I can emulate `if constexpr` using in-place generic lambdas instead of out-of-place functors in the detail namespace. To make the library more user-friendly, I have to do more and more of these emulated `if constexpr`.

Do you object against raising the requirement from C++11 to C++14 for the implementation of boost.histogram?

Best regards,
Hans

Re: [histogram] Objections against switch to C++14?

Boost - Dev mailing list
No objections from me. I would object if you used features not supported by current major compilers.

Kind regards
, Alex

Re: [histogram] Objections against switch to C++14?

Boost - Dev mailing list

> On 22. Oct 2018, at 21:35, <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No objections from me. I would object if you used features not supported by current major compilers.

According to this chart, all C++14 features are supported by GCC, Clang, and MSVC.

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/compiler_support

Specifically, I want to use
- decltype(auto), Return type deduction for normal functions
- Generic (polymorphic) lambda expressions
- std::quoted (which replaces my crappy implementation)

Re: [histogram] Objections against switch to C++14?

Hans,

I think it will be fair if we give time until Monday.
If no objections arrive by then, we will assume you the agreement to
go for C++14.

I hope this will work for reviewers as well.

Best regards
--
Mateusz Loskot
Review Manager for the proposed Boost.Histogram

On 10/22/18 6:42 PM, Hans Dembinski wrote:

> Do you object against raising the requirement from C++11 to C++14 for the implementation of boost.histogram?

No objection from my side.

However, you may consider making parts of the library available to C++11
users, because there are plenty of those out there.