[gsoc2020][Boost.GIL] Advice needed regarding competency.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[gsoc2020][Boost.GIL] Advice needed regarding competency.

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi everyone, I am Sarthak, a second year undergraduate engineering student. I
wish to contribute to boost open source development during gsoc2020,
specifically to Boost.GIL. But, I am not sure whether I am competent enough
to contribute meaningfully to the organization (see the last point for
precise question), I am hoping that someone here can give me advice
regarding the same :)

First, my reasons to contribute to boost -
- I am reasonably proficient in programming (C++ included). I know I will be
able to demonstrate it through programming competency test and all. In my
day to day programming I normally do not use meta programming techniques
which are prevalent in boost, this has made me more excited to work on boost
because I will get to use these new fancy constructs :D

- I just want to be part of open source community for once, sincerely. I
have been using FOSS since forever and as a developer I have been longing to
pay back, this is a good chance for me to do the same.

- Why boost over any other organization? Largely because C++. I like the
multi-resolution philosophy of C++ that you can get as close to machine as
possible, or you can do high level manipulations through libraries and
generics. More on that in proposal ;)

- Why GIL (Project 1)? I want to learn image processing.

Now this is where it gets tricky, the thing is that I am passionate about
doing image processing, but I am not well versed with its theory. I have
done a course on Signals and Systems in my university but that is pretty
much it. This means that at the least I would need to learn image processing
algorithms as we go on. Not that I hate it (on the contrary in fact) but
that I am not really sure if it is possible at all for someone like me to
contribute meaningfully during the few months of GSoC. I would love to hear
from a mentor's experience of previous students on this. Honestly I would
like to be rejected now if at all than after submitting my proposal with
false hopes, or worse moving on with GSoC with such false hopes.

I can also contribute to boost multiprecision in which I am substantially
more experienced, but my first interest is in GIL and therefore if possible
I would like to take the project in GIL.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading.





--
Sent from: http://boost.2283326.n4.nabble.com/Boost-Dev-f2600599.html

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [gsoc2020][Boost.GIL] Advice needed regarding competency.

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 23 Feb 2020 at 16:39, sarthak via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone, I am Sarthak, a second year undergraduate engineering student. I
> wish to contribute to boost open source development during gsoc2020,
> specifically to Boost.GIL. But, I am not sure whether I am competent enough
> [...]

One of the reasons Boost asks students to solve competency test
is to also help students auto-evaluate their skills.

> First, my reasons to contribute to boost -
> - I am reasonably proficient in programming (C++ included). I know I will be
> able to demonstrate it through programming competency test and all. In my
> day to day programming I normally do not use meta programming techniques
> which are prevalent in boost, this has made me more excited to work on boost
> because I will get to use these new fancy constructs :D

Well, it often takes also "to create" these fancy constructs
and that may turn into a serious obstacle.

> - I just want to be part of open source community for once, sincerely. I
> have been using FOSS since forever and as a developer I have been longing to
> pay back, this is a good chance for me to do the same.

Perhaps you should consider to start contributing to Boots libraries
without any serious obligations like GSoC first. Pick a library of your
interest, find a feature you'd like to implement, do the work,
submit pull request, collaborate with reviewers, get your work accepted.
That approach would improve your confidence along with experience and skills.

> - Why GIL (Project 1)? I want to learn image processing.
>
> Now this is where it gets tricky, the thing is that I am passionate about
> doing image processing, but I am not well versed with its theory. I have
> done a course on Signals and Systems in my university but that is pretty
> much it. This means that at the least I would need to learn image processing
> algorithms as we go on.

Well, that feels similar to the metaprogramming issue discussed earlier.

If you look at recent GIL pull requests which some interested students
submitted as their competency tests, you should get an idea of what
a basic expression skills and knowledge looks like. For GSoC project
itself it takes more, often much more.

> Not that I hate it (on the contrary in fact) but
> that I am not really sure if it is possible at all for someone like me to
> contribute meaningfully during the few months of GSoC. I would love to hear
> from a mentor's experience of previous students on this. Honestly I would
> like to be rejected now if at all than after submitting my proposal with
> false hopes, or worse moving on with GSoC with such false hopes.

I was one of GIL mentors during GSoC 2019.
AFAIR, we received 15 or more proposals to GIL alone
and quality of those proposals was from zero to hero.
Given that Google allocated 11 slots to Boost
https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2019/04/246073.php
the competition during proposals selection was serious.
There are risks on both sides and mentors have tough task too.

If you read Google's guidelines to mentors here
https://google.github.io/gsocguides/mentor/selecting-a-student
you should get an idea what aspects are taken into account.

Best regards,
--
Mateusz Loskot, http://mateusz.loskot.net

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost