[gsoc19][astronomy]

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hello everyone,
Last year I worked on the new astronomy library[0] and successfully
completed GSoC with the help of my mentor *Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira*.
In last GSoC, I completed basic coordinate systems and FITS file reading.

*Current State of the Library:*
Currently, this library has 7 basic astronomical coordinate systems
implemented (Alt-Az, CIRS, ICRS, Galactic, Geocentric, Heliocentric,
Supergalactic) which as actually wrappers around Boost::Geometry.
IO module provides support for FITS reading. Right now, It can read primary
HDU and image extensions.

Development during GSoC can be found on the master branch[1]
To preserve all the development done during the period of GSoC a separate
branch was created after completion of GSoC named "gsoc18"[2].
All the development done after the period of GSoC can be found on
develop branch[3]. No changes were merged to master after GSoC 18.

*Idea for Boost GSoC19:*
After communicating with the Boost::geometry community, integration of
Boost::geometry and Boost::units is not supported and without using units
scientific calculations are not error proof. As a result current coordinate
systems can not be used with large projects as there are high possibilities
of error. So this year I would like to implement Boost::unit with
Boost::astronomy::coordinate to provide a robust astronomical coordinate
system. Apart form this I would also complete the remaining parser for the
FITS to read complete file including all types of extensions. I am
targeting to complete the first coordinate system and FITS reader at the
end of this GSoC and making this library ready for its first release.

[0]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/5503102778605568
[1]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/master
[2]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/gsoc18
[3]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/develop

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

Re: [gsoc19][astronomy]

Boost - Dev mailing list
I have added my project idea to the idea page[0].

[0]:
https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2019#boostastronomy

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

On Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 3:15 AM Pranam Lashkari <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello everyone,
> Last year I worked on the new astronomy library[0] and successfully
> completed GSoC with the help of my mentor *Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira*.
> In last GSoC, I completed basic coordinate systems and FITS file reading.
>
> *Current State of the Library:*
> Currently, this library has 7 basic astronomical coordinate systems
> implemented (Alt-Az, CIRS, ICRS, Galactic, Geocentric, Heliocentric,
> Supergalactic) which as actually wrappers around Boost::Geometry.
> IO module provides support for FITS reading. Right now, It can read
> primary HDU and image extensions.
>
> Development during GSoC can be found on the master branch[1]
> To preserve all the development done during the period of GSoC a separate
> branch was created after completion of GSoC named "gsoc18"[2].
> All the development done after the period of GSoC can be found on
> develop branch[3]. No changes were merged to master after GSoC 18.
>
> *Idea for Boost GSoC19:*
> After communicating with the Boost::geometry community, integration of
> Boost::geometry and Boost::units is not supported and without using units
> scientific calculations are not error proof. As a result current coordinate
> systems can not be used with large projects as there are high possibilities
> of error. So this year I would like to implement Boost::unit with
> Boost::astronomy::coordinate to provide a robust astronomical coordinate
> system. Apart form this I would also complete the remaining parser for the
> FITS to read complete file including all types of extensions. I am
> targeting to complete the first coordinate system and FITS reader at the
> end of this GSoC and making this library ready for its first release.
>

> [0]: https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/projects/5503102778605568
> [1]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/master
> [2]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/gsoc18
> [3]: https://github.com/BoostGSoC18/astronomy/tree/develop
>
> Thank you,
> Pranam Lashkari

Re: [gsoc19][astronomy]

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Pranam Lashkari via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have added my project idea to the idea page[0].
>
> [0]:
>
> https://github.com/boostorg/boost/wiki/Google-Summer-of-Code:-2019#boostastronomy
>
> Hello,
I studied your work from last year and found this project interesting.
There is still a vacancy for a mentor on this project and I would like to
mentor this project this year. What is the procedure to become a mentor for
GSoC?

Cheers!
Ruchika Joshi