[gsoc18] how to share a competency test

My name is Vardhan Gupta. I am a 2nd year undergraduate student from IIT
Kanpur.

I am interested in working on project #3 of Boost.uBLAS on adding multicore
and gpu computations to uBLAS.
I have created a private repository of it's competency test on gitlab. Now,
I am having trouble in sharing the repository
with the mentors since I do not have their email address. how do I share
it/find their e-mail address?

Thank you,
Yours sincerely;
Vardhan Gupta

Re: [gsoc18] how to share a competency test

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 27.02.2018 01:39, vardhan gupta via Boost wrote:

> Hi,
> My name is Vardhan Gupta. I am a 2nd year undergraduate student from IIT
> Kanpur.
>
> I am interested in working on project #3 of Boost.uBLAS on adding multicore
> and gpu computations to uBLAS.
> I have created a private repository of it's competency test on gitlab. Now,
> I am having trouble in sharing the repository
> with the mentors since I do not have their email address. how do I share
> it/find their e-mail address?

Hi Vardhan,

I would be interested in mentoring such a project, so please get in
touch to let me review what you have done, and to discuss project
details and how to prepare a submission.

Regards,

Stefan

Re: [gsoc18] how to share a competency test

I and Varun are already in touch with regards to the mentioned project.
Sorry for not directly replying on the mailing list earlier.

Regards,
Sharique

On 03.03.2018 12:24, mohammad sharique wrote:
> Hi,
> I and Varun are already in touch with regards to the mentioned
> project. Sorry for not directly replying on the mailing list earlier.

Is there some other place where potential mentors meet to discuss ? I
think it would be useful to have such a channel to coordinate a bit. I
would like to contribute but so far haven't heard anything (other than
getting a formal invitation from David).

Regards,

Stefan

Re: [gsoc18] how to share a competency test

I have been in touch with David through mails only, and I am not sure if
other medium(s) for discussion exist. Sounds a good idea to have a
dedicated channel for the same.
From what I have understood, I guess a mentor can propose his own
project(s) related to any potential Boost module and then look for the
prospective students.

Regards,
Sharique

signature.png (1K) Download Attachment

On 04.03.2018 02:27, mohammad sharique wrote:
> Hi,
> I have been in touch with David through mails only, and I am not sure
> if other medium(s) for discussion exist. Sounds a good idea to have a
> dedicated channel for the same.
> From what I have understood, I guess a mentor can propose his own
> project(s) related to any potential Boost module and then look for the
> prospective students.

Right. When I first reviewed the proposed project page I figured there
were already a number of uBlas proposals that it would make more sense
for me to help there (in particular as I didn't recognize many names on
the mentor list, and thus didn't know what projects they were associated
with).
If the uBlas project is covered, even better. I could of course propose
one or two Boost.Python projects (there is lots to do), though I suppose
it's a bit late for that now. However, if any prospective student reads
this and is interested to work on Boost.Python, please don't hesitate to
get in touch !

Thanks,

Stefan

Re: [gsoc18] how to share a competency test

Boost - Dev mailing list
I wanna make a proposal about uBLAS project should i send directly on this
mailing list or where do i get the mail of the mentirs for it?

On Mar 4, 2018 4:11 PM, "Stefan Seefeld via Boost" <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 04.03.2018 02:27, mohammad sharique wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have been in touch with David through mails only, and I am not sure
> > if other medium(s) for discussion exist. Sounds a good idea to have a
> > dedicated channel for the same.
> > From what I have understood, I guess a mentor can propose his own
> > project(s) related to any potential Boost module and then look for the
> > prospective students.
>
> Right. When I first reviewed the proposed project page I figured there
> were already a number of uBlas proposals that it would make more sense
> for me to help there (in particular as I didn't recognize many names on
> the mentor list, and thus didn't know what projects they were associated
> with).
> If the uBlas project is covered, even better. I could of course propose
> one or two Boost.Python projects (there is lots to do), though I suppose
> it's a bit late for that now. However, if any prospective student reads
> this and is interested to work on Boost.Python, please don't hesitate to
> get in touch !
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stefan
>
> --
>
>       ...ich hab' noch einen Koffer in Berlin...

Re: [gsoc18] how to share a competency test

> I could of course propose
> one or two Boost.Python projects (there is lots to do), though I suppose
> it's a bit late for that now.

Students can propose their own projects.

Actually, it's a bit scary (from the student point of view) that in Boost
org, you need to convince some mentor to have interest in your project. I
mean, this year we have mentors for Boost.uBLAS, Boost.Geometry and
Boost.SafeFloat, but what is the student expected to do if he has a good
idea for Boost.Spirit or would like to revisit an abandoned proposal from
previous years? Here, not only the project/proposal itself must be good
(which is expected and okay), but he needs to find a mentor that will have
(personal) interest in the subject of the proposal.

I do not think we need to encourage (nor should) students to come up with
their own proposals (Inkscape had “bonus points” on the proposal ranking if
you did that), but at least it should be know that this is an option for
them.

I'm following all emails that have a [gsoc] tag on them, but usually the
discussions are already solved or have assigned mentors when I get to them
(so I leave the job of answering them to others).

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

On 08.03.2018 09:13, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:

> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
>     I could of course propose
>     one or two Boost.Python projects (there is lots to do), though I
>     suppose
>     it's a bit late for that now.
>

> Students can propose their own projects.
>
> Actually, it's a bit scary (from the student point of view) that in
> Boost org, you need to convince some mentor to have interest in your
> project. I mean, this year we have mentors for Boost.uBLAS,
> Boost.Geometry and Boost.SafeFloat, but what is the student expected
> to do if he has a good idea for Boost.Spirit or would like to revisit
> an abandoned proposal from previous years? Here, not only the
> project/proposal itself must be good (which is expected and okay), but
> he needs to find a mentor that will have (personal) interest in the
> subject of the proposal.
>
> I do not think we need to encourage (nor should) students to come up
> with their own proposals (Inkscape had “bonus points” on the proposal
> ranking if you did that), but at least it should be know that this is
> an option for them.

Fair enough. I added Boost.Python to the list, with a (fairly vague)
description of things to do. Anyone interested can get in touch so we
could flesh out a real project proposal.

Regards,

Stefan

Re: [gsoc18] how to share a competency test

Hi Stefan,

we don't really have a mailing list for GSOC. Would be much easier indeed.
Github doesn't provide anything like that as far as I know. Do you know who
manages the boost mailing-list ? I could ask him/her.

And yes, your input on GPU would be very valuable by the way.

Cheers,
David

On 11.03.2018 13:29, David Bellot wrote:
> Hi Stefan,
>
> we don't really have a mailing list for GSOC. Would be much easier indeed.
> Github doesn't provide anything like that as far as I know. Do you
> know who manages the boost mailing-list ? I could ask him/her.

I don't know either. Yes, I think a mailing list that for each GSoC
participation would be populated by participating mentors and
administrators, and temporarily used for coordination, would be helpful.
(I wouldn't want to be permanently on such a list, however.)

But for more technical discussions I think it's best to leave it to the
individual projects to figure out what channels to use for communication.

> And yes, your input on GPU would be very valuable by the way.

Cool. Do you have established channels where you discuss design and
other technical topics specific to the ublas project ? What would be the
best way to "meet" and discuss ?

Regards,

Stefan