[gsoc18] Tensor - Competency Test

Boost - uBLAS mailing list
Hello David,

I am searching for a mentor for the GSOC18 for including tensors into the UBLAS library. Here is my competency matrix program.
https://github.com/ti6csb/matrix.git

I would really like to participate in the GSOC2018. I have implemented tensor data structures (tensor and tensor_view) including many of the tensor contractions algorithms with runtime variable rank.

Best regards,
Cem

Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: [gsoc18] Tensor - Competency Test

Boost - uBLAS mailing list
On 19.03.2018 05:49, Cem Bassoy via ublas wrote:
Hello David,

I am searching for a mentor for the GSOC18 for including tensors into the UBLAS library. Here is my competency matrix program.
https://github.com/ti6csb/matrix.git

I would really like to participate in the GSOC2018. I have implemented tensor data structures (tensor and tensor_view) including many of the tensor contractions algorithms with runtime variable rank.

Hi Cem,

Thanks for the competency test.
I'd be happy to collaborate (review your test, help with the proposal, and perhaps even co-mentor the project).
I suggest you start writing a project submission, which we then may discuss together with the other potential mentors until we converge on a final submission.

Best of luck,

Stefan

Sent to: [hidden email]

Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: [gsoc18] Tensor - Competency Test

Boost - uBLAS mailing list
Hello Stefan,

I hope to finish my proposal for the tensor extension today or tomorrow. Shall I send you the proposal directly or post it to the mailing list?
How much time do we have?

Best regards,
Cem

Sent to: [hidden email]

On 22.03.2018 05:49, Cem Bassoy via ublas wrote:
Hello Stefan,

I hope to finish my proposal for the tensor extension today or tomorrow. Shall I send you the proposal directly or post it to the mailing list?
How much time do we have?

Please submit your proposal (as a draft) to https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/organizations/4507228564881408/. I (and hopefully other potential mentors) will review it there.
The application period ends on March 27, meaning your submission needs to be finished by then. That gives us a few days to review and improve your draft.

Good luck,

Stefan

Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: [gsoc18] Tensor - Competency Test

Boost - uBLAS mailing list
Hello,

this is steven author of h5cpp that provide serialization to hdf5 from ublas matrix/vector and many other linalg libraries and if the tensor format is worked out I could provide the serialization for it as well.

steve

Sent to: [hidden email]

Re: [gsoc18] Tensor - Competency Test

Boost - uBLAS mailing list
Hello Stefan,

I have uploaded the proposal.

Best regards,
Cem

Sent to: [hidden email]

On 22.03.2018 13:39, Cem Bassoy via ublas wrote:
Hello Stefan,

I have uploaded the proposal.
Hi Cem,

I'm reading your proposal right now. You have some very specific ideas about how to change (evolve) the fundamental type system in Boost.uBLAS. Do you have experience with an API that uses that approach, and which can be used to validate it ?

There are many aspects of what I'm reading that I really like. I have questions about some others. So before I dive into the details, I wonder whether you can refer to any such project (ideally with documentation :-) ) where I might find answers to these questions.

Note that I co-designed a library (http://openvsip.org/) with somewhat similar goals (and the API to which is now standardized at the OMG: https://www.omg.org/spec/VSIPL++/About-VSIPL++/), so it would be interesting to compare the different design choices. (And there of course other libraries with similar goals, such as Eigen (http://eigen.tuxfamily.org) and many others.)

And on a more practical note: Do you have any path in mind for migrating from the existing implementation to a future one that uses your design ? I'm concerned that what you are really proposing is a full-scale replacement of Boost.uBLAS by something new, which is not only way too ambitious a task for a single GSoC project, but might actually require a full Boost review as a new library addition.

All that being said, I'm actually very sympathetic to your proposal. I don't want to discourage you, but need to understand how this may work out for everyone involved. (Feel free to follow up in private if you prefer.)

Regards,

Stefan

Sent to: [hidden email]