[gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

12

[gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
Boost has developed many libraries which is useful in the field of science.
I would like to propose a library for "Astronomy" as a student.

I have been an amateur astronomer since last 8 years and being a Computer
Engineering student I will be able to develop this library with little
mentoring. I have some ideas about what can be integrated into it, which I
can propose if the proposal seems promising.

If so are there anyone who can help me out with this and mentor me?

Thank you,
Pranam Lashkari

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

:

> I have been an amateur astronomer since last 8 years and being a Computer
> Engineering student I will be able to develop this library with little
> mentoring.

Hi,

you mention that you'd be able to develop this library with very little
mentoring. Could you give us some kind of evidence that you have the
required endurance for that? Some past project (it doesn't need to be
related to Boost or astronomy, but it certainly need to be code-related and
plus points for being C++).

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
Thank you for taking interest in this project.

At this point, I have not done any significant project in c++ to showcase.
But I have been assisting to implement research on "Illumination & Adverse
Weather Condition Invariant Human Detection & Tracking for Surveillance
System" since one year which uses image processing in python.

I am good with programming and algorithms, and as an assurance, I am
attaching some of the algorithms implemented by me in python.

I have won ranks in different coding competition at various levels which
were mostly based on C language and algorithms.(Certificates attached)

I have also conducted two coding events which were based only on C
language. I have attached a copy of the question paper which is originally
designed by me.

In addition, I have done an internship based on web and mobile technology
(AngularJS and ionic framework).

 Algorithms.zip
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cah99sk2owmI9yYkg0c6gYxhlq5skgTW/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 Competition and Events.zip
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/120p574HS-7mSbNxIx2iNBdzcbwwMPFcD/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 Internship.jpg
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oHL40IwnwPPB4Egrik7gp4pTkPMAq5Vq/view?usp=drive_web>
​​
 Question Paper.docx
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bX2Fe2jmf9lRuavUoDKXYI7hnfAuEQbA/view?usp=drive_web>

On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <

> [hidden email]>:
>
>> I have been an amateur astronomer since last 8 years and being a Computer
>> Engineering student I will be able to develop this library with little
>> mentoring.
>>

> Hi,
>
> you mention that you'd be able to develop this library with very little
> mentoring. Could you give us some kind of evidence that you have the
> required endurance for that? Some past project (it doesn't need to be
> related to Boost or astronomy, but it certainly need to be code-related and
> plus points for being C++).
>
> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
I am soon starting implementing my ideas about this new astronomy library.

First I am going to be working on the celestial coordinate system and after
completing it I'll be working with the light curves of variable stars.

If anyone is interested in mentoring me then I wish to see this library
featured in Boost-GSOC 2018.

Thank you.

On Thu, Jan 18, 2018 at 12:41 PM, Pranam Lashkari <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Thank you for taking interest in this project.
>
> At this point, I have not done any significant project in c++ to showcase.
> But I have been assisting to implement research on "Illumination & Adverse
> Weather Condition Invariant Human Detection & Tracking for Surveillance
> System" since one year which uses image processing in python.
>
> I am good with programming and algorithms, and as an assurance, I am
> attaching some of the algorithms implemented by me in python.
>
> I have won ranks in different coding competition at various levels which
> were mostly based on C language and algorithms.(Certificates attached)
>
> I have also conducted two coding events which were based only on C
> language. I have attached a copy of the question paper which is originally
> designed by me.
>
> In addition, I have done an internship based on web and mobile technology
> (AngularJS and ionic framework).
>
> ​
>  Algorithms.zip
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Cah99sk2owmI9yYkg0c6gYxhlq5skgTW/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​​
>  Competition and Events.zip
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/120p574HS-7mSbNxIx2iNBdzcbwwMPFcD/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​​
>  Internship.jpg
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oHL40IwnwPPB4Egrik7gp4pTkPMAq5Vq/view?usp=drive_web>
> ​​
>  Question Paper.docx
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bX2Fe2jmf9lRuavUoDKXYI7hnfAuEQbA/view?usp=drive_web>
>
> On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>> [hidden email]>:
>>
>>> I have been an amateur astronomer since last 8 years and being a Computer
>>> Engineering student I will be able to develop this library with little
>>> mentoring.
>>>

>> Hi,
>>
>> you mention that you'd be able to develop this library with very little
>> mentoring. Could you give us some kind of evidence that you have the
>> required endurance for that? Some past project (it doesn't need to be
>> related to Boost or astronomy, but it certainly need to be code-related and
>> plus points for being C++).
>>
>> --
>> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
>> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

> I am soon starting implementing my ideas about this new astronomy library.

I suggest you start writing a detailed proposal on library rational and
general library design (don't need to go too deep) and timelines on
development. It can help attract initial feedback and it will be required
anyway to submit to the GSoC program.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
I have made this proposal for this new library(check attachment)
Suggestions are invited.

Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?

On Sat, Jan 20, 2018 at 6:21 PM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <

New Astronomy Library.pdf (34K) Download Attachment

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

> I have made this proposal for this new library(check attachment)
> Suggestions are invited.

You need to focus more on "selling your project". Why is it important to
have such library in C++ specifically? Isn't this one of those projects
where other languages will do just fine? What market are we missing by not
having this library? What C++ have to offer to make such library be
inviting to write in C++?

You mention "gather information from observation data". Does this mean
you'll include a parser for some format?

Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
initially only on X given the library is only starting)?

For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll give
more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.

Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?

Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
I am writing a detailed proposal which can answer all of your questions.

Which proposal should I publish on wiki page (Short overview which I have
already sent) or the detailed one which explains everything?

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 7:30 PM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <

>> I have made this proposal for this new library(check attachment)
>> Suggestions are invited.
>>

> You need to focus more on "selling your project". Why is it important to
> have such library in C++ specifically? Isn't this one of those projects
> where other languages will do just fine? What market are we missing by not
> having this library? What C++ have to offer to make such library be
> inviting to write in C++?
>
> You mention "gather information from observation data". Does this mean
> you'll include a parser for some format?
>
> Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
> how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
> initially only on X given the library is only starting)?
>
> For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
> through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll give
> more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.
>
> Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?
>>

> Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.
>
> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

> Which proposal should I publish on wiki page (Short overview which I have
> already sent) or the detailed one which explains everything?

The short overview should do for the wiki page.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
Thank you very much for showing interest in this project.

With your help, I have published project proposal on the wiki page.

Now any instruction for what I should do further?

On Sun, Jan 21, 2018 at 11:27 PM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <

>> Which proposal should I publish on wiki page (Short overview which I have
>> already sent) or the detailed one which explains everything?
>>

> The short overview should do for the wiki page.
>
> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

> Now any instruction for what I should do further?

Pay attention to GSoC timeline: https://developers.google.com/
open-source/gsoc/timeline

For now, there isn't other special tasks requiring your immediate
attention. Use your time wisely.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Dear Pranam, dear Vinicius,

not sure that my initial email made it to the mailing list. If it did, sorry for repeating myself.
I am working as a computer scientist at the MPI for Intelligent Systems in Tübingen. Before that, I did my PhD in astrophysics and a postdoc. In general, I am also interested in using boost and developing a library that could be used by astronomers and astrophysicists.

Looking at your proposal, I would second Vinicius’ opinion in the sense that one should try to make it a bit more specific. In particular, you should emphasize the why (what do you wish to accomplish? why would someone need/use it?) and the who (who is your target audience?). Regarding the latter, I see two options:

1) amateur astronomers: I personally do not know what their needs are, but I could try to find out. There are some open source projects dedicated to amateur astronomers (for instance https://openphdguiding.org <instancehttps://openphdguiding.org> to which we contributed), so that could be an option;

2) professional astronomers: I think a lot can be done, in particular regarding observational data analysis. They used REALLY old tools (IDL, IRAF, …) and given the future and upcoming surveys that will produce very large amount of data, they might have serious performance issues. This is why I believe they might benefit from using cutting-edge C++ libraries.

I would be quite interested in option 2, and it could impact potentially a large audience IMHO. Of course, the “selling” part won’t be easy (people, especially astrophysicists :) won’t give up their old methods easily even though the new method is 10x faster) but we can facilitate this process by pin-pointing features that they really need. I will try to talk to some of my former colleagues this week and see what they think about that. In this case, this is a project that would need a bit of time to be properly defined and the deadline for GSoC18 is coming too soon. As far as I am concerned, this is no problem as this project does not need to be tied to it.

Cheers,

Jean-Claude

> On 21. Jan 2018, at 15:00, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> I have made this proposal for this new library(check attachment)
>> Suggestions are invited.
>>

> You need to focus more on "selling your project". Why is it important to
> have such library in C++ specifically? Isn't this one of those projects
> where other languages will do just fine? What market are we missing by not
> having this library? What C++ have to offer to make such library be
> inviting to write in C++?
>
> You mention "gather information from observation data". Does this mean
> you'll include a parser for some format?
>
> Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
> how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
> initially only on X given the library is only starting)?
>
> For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
> through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll give
> more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.
>
> Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?
>>

> Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.
>
> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear Jean-Claude,
Thank you very much for showing interest.

Don't worry about the needs of amateur astronomers as I have been one since
last 8 years. This community does not need much of attention as their
requirements are less compared to professionals. And obviously they can get
benefit from whatever we implement for professionals also.

So at this point let's focus more on professionals and list out what they
require and what can be done...

On 22-Jan-2018 1:40 AM, "JC Passy" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> where other languages will do just fine? What market are we missing by not
> having this library? What C++ have to offer to make such library be
> inviting to write in C++?
>
> You mention "gather information from observation data". Does this mean
> you'll include a parser for some format?
>
> Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
> how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
> initially only on X given the library is only starting)?
>
> For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
> through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll give
> more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.
>
> Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?
>

> Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.

As boost mentioned in policies and processes of this year to qualify for
GSoC, students are supposed to take a C++ aptitude test.

So which aptitude test I am supposed to take...?

On 22-Jan-2018 6:58 AM, "Pranam Lashkari" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> where other languages will do just fine? What market are we missing by not
>> having this library? What C++ have to offer to make such library be
>> inviting to write in C++?
>>
>> You mention "gather information from observation data". Does this mean
>> you'll include a parser for some format?
>>
>> Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
>> how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
>> initially only on X given the library is only starting)?
>>
>> For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
>> through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll
>> give
>> more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.
>>
>> Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?
>>

>> Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.

Dear Jean-Claude;

As you mentioned in your emails, you are having some ideas what can be
implemented in this library as per requirement of professionals in this
field.
Can you start discussing those ideas so that we can get a better idea of
how to structure this library?

On Mon, Jan 22, 2018 at 1:40 AM, JC Passy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> where other languages will do just fine? What market are we missing by not
> having this library? What C++ have to offer to make such library be
> inviting to write in C++?
>
> You mention "gather information from observation data". Does this mean
> you'll include a parser for some format?
>
> Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
> how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
> initially only on X given the library is only starting)?
>
> For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
> through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll give
> more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.
>
> Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?
>

> Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.

Dear Pranam,

Sure, I am waiting for some feedback from two former colleagues of mine on that matter. I should get something by early next week, I will let you know as soon as I do.

Cheers,

Jean-Claude

> [...]
>>
>> Can you compare this library with some non-C++ library and detail a little
>> how will scope between the two differ (e.g. your library will focus
>> initially only on X given the library is only starting)?
>>
>> For now, this should be good. When it's time to submit the student form
>> through the GSoC platform, you'll also focus on selling yourself. I'll give
>> more feedback on this when the time comes. Don't worry.
>>
>> Should I publish this on the wiki page of Boost GSoC 2018?
>>>

>> Yes, please. You can put my name as a potential mentor.
>>
>> --
>> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
>> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/ <https://vinipsmaker.github.io/>

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

> As boost mentioned in policies and processes of this year to qualify for
> GSoC, students are supposed to take a C++ aptitude test.
>
> So which aptitude test I am supposed to take...?

We'll check that later.

For now, worry about the project only.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
yes indeed.
I mean, a good project description is 1000 times more important that the
aptitude test anyway.
If Google doesn't give the money, then no project, so no need for aptitutde
test :-D

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via Boost <

> > As boost mentioned in policies and processes of this year to qualify for
> > GSoC, students are supposed to take a C++ aptitude test.
> >
> > So which aptitude test I am supposed to take...?
> >

> We'll check that later.
>
> For now, worry about the project only.
>
> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: [gsoc18] New Astronomy Library

Boost - Dev mailing list
Yes, I completely agree that a good project description is a must. But
Jean-Claude is having some more ideas which can be implemented in this
library and I am waiting for him so that we can make this library even
better.

And just in case if Google rejects the project, I would still like develop
this library if someone is ready to mentor me outside the GSoC as this
library will be really useful to astronomy community...

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 5:32 PM, David Bellot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes indeed.
> I mean, a good project description is 1000 times more important that the
> aptitude test anyway.
> If Google doesn't give the money, then no project, so no need for aptitutde
> test :-D
>
> On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

> > > As boost mentioned in policies and processes of this year to qualify
> for
> > > GSoC, students are supposed to take a C++ aptitude test.
> > >
> > > So which aptitude test I am supposed to take...?
> > >

> > We'll check that later.
> >
> > For now, worry about the project only.
> >
> > --
> > Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> > https://vinipsmaker.github.io/

Re: New Astronomy Library

 These days I was studying already available astronomy libraries in
different languages.

I found that "Astropy"( http://www.astropy.org/ ) is well established and
it is being used in many places. Maybe one of the reasons for its
success is that it is for Python. As we all know that python is one of the
easiest languages to learn. Not all scientists are programmers and maybe
that's why they find python and Astropy easy to use.

So what I was thinking is, what if we build a similar structure to the same
library? It will make things easier for those scientists who do not have
much time to learn a new programming language and this will make the
transition easier from python to C++.

Is it a good idea?

Pranam Lashkari