[gsoc18] Interested in adding statistics and machine learning functions to Boost.uBLAS and Seeking for mentors

[gsoc18] Interested in adding statistics and machine learning functions to Boost.uBLAS and Seeking for mentors

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear community:

    My name is Long Zhang,currently in my third year of college. As subject
suggests, I'm interested in adding statistics and machine learning
functions to Boost.uBLAS library.

    I've basic knowledge of statistics (which I have been thought in
school) and Machine Learning, I learned Machine Learning by Andrew Ng on
Coursera, and I have tried to implement algorithms like PCA,LDA,K-means in
Python, therefore, I think it won't be a problem if I have to implements it
in C++. BTW, I have use C++ since my Senior High. Except components
mentioned in wiki, I think I can also implement algorithms like
KNN,Logistic Regression, even SVM during the summer. I also understand the
efficiency of these algorithms is what matters, I will try hard to
implement it as fast as it can.

   I know I have do some kind of programming competency test. When should I
start? I mean I haven't find a mentor, don't know who should I contact if I
finish the test. Can someone mentoring me? We can then talk about the test
and code I used written in C++(open source code in C++) to check if I'm
qualified to this project.

Thank you.

Best,

Long

*Long Zhang (Kanch) <http://akakanch.com> *@ Chengdu University of Information
Technology
2015 Computer Science Major
Mail:[hidden email]
No.24 Block 1, Xuefu Road, Chengdu, Sichuan, China

Re: [gsoc18] Interested in adding statistics and machine learning functions to Boost.uBLAS and Seeking for mentors

apart from organizing Gsoc for Boost C++, I'm also mentor for uBLAS and I
proposed the topic on statistical functions.
Ideally, I expect 2 things are the very beginning from potential students:
(1) to do the competency test and return it when it looks perfect (it's not
a speed game but rather a quality game),
(2) to start working on a real fully-featured proposal, with description of
the work, plannig, ressources, etc...

You can send it to me directly because, as I said, I'm mentoring for uBlas
too.

Best,
David

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 4:15 AM, Kanch via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dear community:
>

>     My name is Long Zhang,currently in my third year of college. As subject
> suggests, I'm interested in adding statistics and machine learning
> functions to Boost.uBLAS library.
>
>     I've basic knowledge of statistics (which I have been thought in
> school) and Machine Learning, I learned Machine Learning by Andrew Ng on
> Coursera, and I have tried to implement algorithms like PCA,LDA,K-means in
> Python, therefore, I think it won't be a problem if I have to implements it
> in C++. BTW, I have use C++ since my Senior High. Except components
> mentioned in wiki, I think I can also implement algorithms like
> KNN,Logistic Regression, even SVM during the summer. I also understand the
> efficiency of these algorithms is what matters, I will try hard to
> implement it as fast as it can.
>
>    I know I have do some kind of programming competency test. When should I
> start? I mean I haven't find a mentor, don't know who should I contact if I
> finish the test. Can someone mentoring me? We can then talk about the test
> and code I used written in C++(open source code in C++) to check if I'm
> qualified to this project.
>
> Thank you.
>
> Best,
>
> Long
> --
> Best regards,
>
> *Long Zhang (Kanch) <http://akakanch.com> *@ Chengdu University of
> Information
> Technology
> 2015 Computer Science Major
> Mail:[hidden email]
> No.24 Block 1, Xuefu Road, Chengdu, Sichuan, China

Re: [gsoc18] Interested in adding statistics and machine learning functions to Boost.uBLAS and Seeking for mentors

Thanks for replying me.
I will start doing the competency test now.

Best,
Long

On Sun, Jan 28, 2018 at 9:33 PM, David Bellot via Boost <