[gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

[gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Everyone:

My name is Ruoyun Jing, I am an undergraduate student in Northwest
University(China) of Software Engineering.Although i am a girl,i really
love coding and algorithms!!! I've coded many algorithms problems with C++
and Python,and got Bronze Metal in ACMICPC Asia Shenyang Regional
contest. GSoC is really a precious chance for me to get in touch with open
source software.

After reading all the organizations and their projects, I'm pretty
interested in R-tree serialization in Boost.Geometry. Despite my lack of
project experience,i will try my best to learn ,code and communicate with
mentor!!!

Looking forward from you.:)

Thank.
--
Northwest University of China
Software Engineering

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Ruoyun,

Ruoyun Jing Via Boost wrote:

> Hi Everyone:
>
> My name is Ruoyun Jing, I am an undergraduate student in Northwest
> University(China) of Software Engineering.Although i am a girl,i really
> love coding and algorithms!!! I've coded many algorithms problems with C++
> and Python,and got Bronze Metal in ACMICPC Asia Shenyang Regional
> contest. GSoC is really a precious chance for me to get in touch with open
> source software.
>
> After reading all the organizations and their projects, I'm pretty
> interested in R-tree serialization in Boost.Geometry. Despite my lack of
> project experience,i will try my best to learn ,code and communicate with
> mentor!!!

It's great you decided to participate in GSoC. If you pick the R-tree
serialization project I'll be your mentor. If you have any questions
feel free to ask.

Have you developed any open source library in the past that you could
show? If not then we've prepared a competency test so you'd have to
write some code and attach it to the project proposal. The requirements
are listed on the Boost GSoC webpage
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2017 (it seems to be working now).

Adam

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Boost - Dev mailing list
> It's great you decided to participate in GSoC. If you pick the R-tree
> serialization project I'll be your mentor. If you have any questions
> feel free to ask.

Just to be clear, you *would* be the student's mentor IF that student is
selected for that project by the Boost community AND Google. Just so no
one is confused by English as a foreign language!

Niall

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Hi Adam,

I'm very pleaure for you reply. As you know,  i didn't have any opensource
library in the past, so i'll prepared a competency test. First of all, i'll
read the request and do some preparance. BTW, could you tell me the tome
zone of you?I am in UTF-8 in China.And can we talk with each other by
gitter, so i can ask you questions more quickly and get answers in time?

Ruoyun Jing Via Boost wrote:
> Hi Adam,
>
> I'm very pleaure for you reply. As you know,  i didn't have any opensource
> library in the past, so i'll prepared a competency test. First of all, i'll
> read the request and do some preparance. BTW, could you tell me the tome
> zone of you?I am in UTF-8 in China.And can we talk with each other by
> gitter, so i can ask you questions more quickly and get answers in time?

I'm in CET (UTC+1) zone but I'd prefer to talk via Boost mailing list
because this way we can get feedback from the community, suggestions,
corrections, etc.

Adam

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi Adam,

Good morning!

Talk with with boost mailing list is also good for me.:) Now it is really
early today, and I found that i write i am in UTF-8......hahaha....I'm
sorry for my bad english....I'm in UTC+8 zone.And for the test of project
3, do i just implement serialization of minimally Point models in arbitrary
dimension,or implement many other models in Boost.geometry?

And one thing i want to know if it is possible for me to know is how many
students do we need for Boost.Geometry in GSoC17? If you don't want to
answer, i apologize and you may just forget it,because I hope this question
doesn't annoy you, and hope you to have a good day. :)

Looking forward from you!

Thanks.

:

> Hi Ruoyun,
>
> Ruoyun Jing Via Boost wrote:
>
>> Hi Adam,
>>
>> I'm very pleaure for you reply. As you know,  i didn't have any opensource
>> library in the past, so i'll prepared a competency test. First of all,
>> i'll
>> read the request and do some preparance. BTW, could you tell me the tome
>> zone of you?I am in UTF-8 in China.And can we talk with each other by
>> gitter, so i can ask you questions more quickly and get answers in time?
>>

> I'm in CET (UTC+1) zone but I'd prefer to talk via Boost mailing list
> because this way we can get feedback from the community, suggestions,
> corrections, etc.
>

> Adam

Northwest University of China
Software Engineering
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Hi all,

I'm sorry for forget one thing to ask...After i finished configure the
development of boost, I begin to pull the develop branch of Boost.geometry
and run the tests:
```

cd libs/geometry
git checkout develop
git branch -vv
git pull

b2 test

```
The time of testing is too long, yesterday I ran three times for 1.5 hours
and today i began at about 7 o'clock and now is 13:03, it still running, is
this normal?Or i got something wrong? I used unbuntu 16.04.2 in virtual box
for 4 cores, 4GB RAM, Inter Core i7-4712HQ for testing.If it is
normal,could you tell the reason of these, so i'll do better develop in the
future days. :)

Looking forward from you.

Thanks.

:

Ruoyun Jing wrote:
> Talk with with boost mailing list is also good for me.:) Now it is
> really early today, and I found that i write i am in
> UTF-8......hahaha....I'm sorry for my bad english....I'm in UTC+8
> zone.And for the test of project 3, do i just implement serialization
> of minimally Point models in arbitrary dimension,or implement many
> other models in Boost.geometry?

Yes, for PROJECT 2 "R-tree serialization" you have to implement the
serialization of models implemented in Boost.Geometry. The minimum is
the serialization of model::point in arbitrary dimension and
model::point_xy but you may also implement it for other models, e.g.
model::box, model::segment, etc. And it should be as generic as possible.

> And one thing i want to know if it is possible for me to know is how
> many students do we need for Boost.Geometry in GSoC17? If you don't
> want to answer, i apologize and you may just forget it,because I hope
> this question doesn't annoy you, and hope you to have a good day. :)

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. What do you mean by
"how many students do we need"? AFAIK there is no predefined number of
students that have to prepare proposals. What matters is the knowledge
of the student and the quality of the proposal.

Adam

P.S. Please don't top-post on Boost mailing lists, see:
http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#quoting

Ruoyun Jing Via Boost wrote:
> b2 test
>
> ```
> The time of testing is too long, yesterday I ran three times for 1.5 hours
> and today i began at about 7 o'clock and now is 13:03, it still running, is
> this normal?Or i got something wrong? I used unbuntu 16.04.2 in virtual box
> for 4 cores, 4GB RAM, Inter Core i7-4712HQ for testing.If it is
> normal,could you tell the reason of these, so i'll do better develop in the
> future days. :)

Yes, it's because there are many tests in Boost.Geometry. You can find
the tests you've run in the libs/geometry/test directory. And it's only
a part of all of the tests since the tests for the rtree are located in
libs/geometry/index/test. This step in the tutorial is there only to
verify if your cloned repository of Boost.Geometry works correctly.

For the competency test or writing of the proposal you don't have to run
the tests of the library.

Btw, it's possible to run only a fraction of tests, e.g.:

b2 test/algorithms/area
b2 index/test/rtree/exceptions

Adam

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

Hi Adam,

> Hi Ruoyun,
>
> Ruoyun Jing wrote:
>
>> Talk with with boost mailing list is also good for me.:) Now it is really
>> early today, and I found that i write i am in UTF-8......hahaha....I'm
>> sorry for my bad english....I'm in UTC+8 zone.And for the test of project
>> 3, do i just implement serialization of minimally Point models in arbitrary
>> dimension,or implement many other models in Boost.geometry?
>>

> Yes, for PROJECT 2 "R-tree serialization" you have to implement the
> serialization of models implemented in Boost.Geometry. The minimum is the
> serialization of model::point in arbitrary dimension and model::point_xy
> but you may also implement it for other models, e.g. model::box,
> model::segment, etc. And it should be as generic as possible.

Thanks for your answer, now I can do it clearly.:)

> And one thing i want to know if it is possible for me to know is how many
>> students do we need for Boost.Geometry in GSoC17? If you don't want to
>> answer, i apologize and you may just forget it,because I hope this question
>> doesn't annoy you, and hope you to have a good day. :)
>>

> I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly. What do you mean by
> "how many students do we need"? AFAIK there is no predefined number of
> students that have to prepare proposals. What matters is the knowledge of
> the student and the quality of the proposal.
>
> Adam
>
> P.S. Please don't top-post on Boost mailing lists, see:
> http://www.boost.org/community/policy.html#quoting

Thanks for your answer, you understand correctly, and i clearly know what I
want to know. I read the discussion policy at the first time i decided to
contribute boost, but i'm really unfamiliar with email, so it's very kind
of you to forgive my rudeness, I'll correct it now, and if I also have
something wrong, i'm pleased to be pointed out. :)

Thanks.

--
Northwest University of China
Software Engineering
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

Re: [gsoc17]Getting started with Project 2 in Boost.Geometry:R-tree serialization

:

> Ruoyun Jing Via Boost wrote:
>
>> b2 test
>>
>> ```
>> The time of testing is too long, yesterday I ran three times for 1.5 hours
>> and today i began at about 7 o'clock and now is 13:03, it still running,
>> is
>> this normal?Or i got something wrong? I used unbuntu 16.04.2 in virtual
>> box
>> for 4 cores, 4GB RAM, Inter Core i7-4712HQ for testing.If it is
>> normal,could you tell the reason of these, so i'll do better develop in
>> the
>> future days. :)
>>

> Yes, it's because there are many tests in Boost.Geometry. You can find the
> tests you've run in the libs/geometry/test directory. And it's only a part
> of all of the tests since the tests for the rtree are located in
> libs/geometry/index/test. This step in the tutorial is there only to verify
> if your cloned repository of Boost.Geometry works correctly.
>
> For the competency test or writing of the proposal you don't have to run
> the tests of the library.
>
> Btw, it's possible to run only a fraction of tests, e.g.:
>
> b2 test/algorithms/area
> b2 index/test/rtree/exceptions

Thanks a lot,It's really help me! :)

Thanks.