[gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

12

[gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Niall Douglas
Dear Boost,

It is with a heavy heart I write to say that Boost was rejected as an
org for Google Summer of Code 2016 by Google. We had our application
submitted in time, it was reviewed by three members of the Boost
leadership, our ideas list had six solid ideas with an especially
solid seventh on the way, we were in very good standing with Google
and there was no reason to expect rejection. We have asked for
clarification as to why we were rejected, and we shall try to improve
our application next year to improve our chances.

We recognise that many students and mentors will be extremely
disappointed by this news. We share in that disappointment, and all
we can say is please try again next year.

For those students and mentors who are continuing a previous GSoC on
an existing Boost library, there may be a possibility that Boost may
be able to fund those continuations this year. Each case will be
approached by the steering committee on a case by case basis, and be
aware that the standard required for funding by Boost is considerably
above that of Google's with an accompanying high and detailed
standard of funding application to the steering committee. Contact us
privately if you want to know more.

On other news we had been expecting to announce today that Bryce
Adelstein Lelbach has generously agreed to take over as secondary
GSoC admin from Boris Schäling who has served Boost GSoC for
something like four years now, so he has definitely earned himself a
rest! Our thanks to Boris for his service, and welcome Bryce to the
team!

Finally, I'd like to thank Jon Kalb who moved heaven and earth as he
always does to get the GSoC application submitted in time.

Yours,
Niall Douglas

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/

SMime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Michael Caisse-3
On 2/29/16 14:31, Niall Douglas wrote:

> Dear Boost,
>
> It is with a heavy heart I write to say that Boost was rejected as an
> org for Google Summer of Code 2016 by Google. We had our application
> submitted in time, it was reviewed by three members of the Boost
> leadership, our ideas list had six solid ideas with an especially
> solid seventh on the way, we were in very good standing with Google
> and there was no reason to expect rejection. We have asked for
> clarification as to why we were rejected, and we shall try to improve
> our application next year to improve our chances.
>
> We recognise that many students and mentors will be extremely
> disappointed by this news. We share in that disappointment, and all
> we can say is please try again next year.
>
> For those students and mentors who are continuing a previous GSoC on
> an existing Boost library, there may be a possibility that Boost may
> be able to fund those continuations this year. Each case will be
> approached by the steering committee on a case by case basis, and be
> aware that the standard required for funding by Boost is considerably
> above that of Google's with an accompanying high and detailed
> standard of funding application to the steering committee. Contact us
> privately if you want to know more.
>
> On other news we had been expecting to announce today that Bryce
> Adelstein Lelbach has generously agreed to take over as secondary
> GSoC admin from Boris Schäling who has served Boost GSoC for
> something like four years now, so he has definitely earned himself a
> rest! Our thanks to Boris for his service, and welcome Bryce to the
> team!
>
> Finally, I'd like to thank Jon Kalb who moved heaven and earth as he
> always does to get the GSoC application submitted in time.
>
> Yours,
> Niall Douglas

Nial -

Thank you for the hard work you put into GSoC. We will be interested in
hearing more about the decision specifics as you have them.

Take care -
Michael

On 29 Feb 2016 at 14:53, Michael Caisse wrote:

> Thank you for the hard work you put into GSoC. We will be interested in
> hearing more about the decision specifics as you have them.

We heard back. Google's explanation is simply that they like to give
a year off to particularly successful and long running GSoC orgs in
order to make space for new orgs, and they hope we apply again next
year.

To say I found this explanation jaw dropping would be putting it
mildly, but there you go.

We've asked if they would have any issue with us running the Summer
of Code in 2016 out of Boost monies. If they don't, we'll send a
petition to your good selves at the Steering Committee, and go from
there.

I would expect potentially half our students won't be interested this
year as they are really seeking Google Summer of Code for their
resumes, however for those who really genuinely want to work in the
Boost libraries I expect they may be as keen as ever.

So I guess watch this space!

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/
http://ie.linkedin.com/in/nialldouglas/

SMime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Jakub Szuppe
Niall Douglas wrote
[...]

That's a sad news and Boost being a successful GSoC org is a really
poor excuse for that decision..

However, I think I'll keep working on fixing and improving Boost.Compute
anyway, in my free time. I'm waiting for more information regarding "running
the Summer of Code in 2016 out of Boost monies".

Thanks to everybody who worked on Boost GSoC application etc.

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

David Bellot

> We heard back. Google's explanation is simply that they like to give
> a year off to particularly successful and long running GSoC orgs in
> order to make space for new orgs, and they hope we apply again next
> year.

Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
They all have been accepted !
What's wrong with us ?

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira

> Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
> LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
> They all have been accepted !

They have been accepted **this** year. Did this happened every year? Maybe
last year one of them was in the place where Boost is now. Or maybe they'll
be in this place next year.

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
https://about.me/vinipsmaker

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Andreas Schäfer
IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected. There's
really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.

For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
impact. I think that's a good thing.

Cheers
-Andreas

On 07:46 Tue 01 Mar     , Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:

> > Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
> > LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
> > They all have been accepted !
>

> They have been accepted **this** year. Did this happened every year? Maybe
> last year one of them was in the place where Boost is now. Or maybe they'll
> be in this place next year.
>

> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://about.me/vinipsmaker

Andreas Schäfer
HPC and Grid Computing
Department of Computer Science 3
Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg, Germany
+49 9131 85-27910
PGP/GPG key via keyserver
http://www.libgeodecomp.org

(\___/)
(+'.'+)
(")_(")
This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
signature to help him gain world domination!

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Barun Parruck
Just to add to the discussion, Mozilla did not get selected last year.

> On 01-Mar-2016, at 4:16 pm, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
>> LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
>> They all have been accepted !
>

> They have been accepted **this** year. Did this happened every year? Maybe
> last year one of them was in the place where Boost is now. Or maybe they'll
> be in this place next year.
>

> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://about.me/vinipsmaker

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Pratik Singhal
Mozilla was not selected for Google summer of Code 2015

Pratik Singhal

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 4:16 PM, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira <

> > Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
> > LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
> > They all have been accepted !
>

> They have been accepted **this** year. Did this happened every year? Maybe
> last year one of them was in the place where Boost is now. Or maybe they'll
> be in this place next year.
>

> --
> Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira
> https://about.me/vinipsmaker

Pratik Singhal

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Mario Mulansky
On Tuesday, March 01, 2016 10:04:34 AM David Bellot wrote:
> > We heard back. Google's explanation is simply that they like to give
> > a year off to particularly successful and long running GSoC orgs in
> > order to make space for new orgs, and they hope we apply again next
> > year.
>
> Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
> LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
> They all have been accepted !
> What's wrong with us ?

To be fair, those orgs are quite a bit larger than us. I just checked this for
Python [1], which is an umbrella org for 5 suborgs each offering ~5 GSoC
project. I guess this might look similar for the others in your list above so
I don't really think boost compares to those.

Nevertheless, this is a big disappointment for us. I think boost had good
project ideas again and I saw similar GSoC related activity on the mailing
list as for previous years. With odeint, we had two very promising looking
students in line, and I think this is also the case with the other projects.
Anyhow, there is nothing we can do I suppose, and we will have to give it
another try next year!

[1] https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Ganesh Prasad
That's definitely a sad news. But seriously, is there any other
organization that has contributed to the development of C++ as a really
versatile language than boost !

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016, 4:46 PM Mario Mulansky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tuesday, March 01, 2016 10:04:34 AM David Bellot wrote:
> > > We heard back. Google's explanation is simply that they like to give
> > > a year off to particularly successful and long running GSoC orgs in
> > > order to make space for new orgs, and they hope we apply again next
> > > year.
> >
> > Strange argument because Apache, Debian, Fedora, Gnome, GNU, KDE,
> > LibreOffice, Mozilla, Python, R, X, etc....
> > They all have been accepted !
> > What's wrong with us ?
>
> To be fair, those orgs are quite a bit larger than us. I just checked this
> for
> Python [1], which is an umbrella org for 5 suborgs each offering ~5 GSoC
> project. I guess this might look similar for the others in your list above
> so
> I don't really think boost compares to those.
>
> Nevertheless, this is a big disappointment for us. I think boost had good
> project ideas again and I saw similar GSoC related activity on the mailing
> list as for previous years. With odeint, we had two very promising looking
> students in line, and I think this is also the case with the other
> projects.
> Anyhow, there is nothing we can do I suppose, and we will have to give it
> another try next year!
>
> [1] https://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/2016

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Robert Ramey
On 2/29/16 11:36 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> On 29 Feb 2016 at 14:53, Michael Caisse wrote:
>
>> Thank you for the hard work you put into GSoC. We will be interested in
>> hearing more about the decision specifics as you have them.
>
> We heard back. Google's explanation is simply that they like to give
> a year off to particularly successful and long running GSoC orgs in
> order to make space for new orgs, and they hope we apply again next
> year.

well, they could have mentioned this before boost went to the effort!!!
Very cheesy and unprofessional.

Robert Ramey

On 09:26 Tue 01 Mar     , Robert Ramey wrote:
> well, they could have mentioned this before boost went to the
> effort!!!
>
> Very cheesy and unprofessional.

I doubt there was a list of not-to-be-accepted orgs before the
applications were made.

Cheers
-Andreas

On 1 Mar 2016 at 12:13, Andreas Schäfer wrote:

> IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected. There's
> really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.

It is deeply disappointing for those students and mentors affected.
It is highly disruptive to the pipeline we are running, and is not a
case of simply pressing Pause on GSoC for a year. Many if not most of
our students are postgrads, and next year they will no longer be
eligible for GSoC.

> For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
> not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
> Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
> impact. I think that's a good thing.

Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2016 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2016

On 1 Mar 2016 at 9:26, Robert Ramey wrote:

> > We heard back. Google's explanation is simply that they like to give
> > a year off to particularly successful and long running GSoC orgs in
> > order to make space for new orgs, and they hope we apply again next
> > year.
>
> well, they could have mentioned this before boost went to the effort!!!
> Very cheesy and unprofessional.

I think it's more a case of the dice rolling and we turned up.

I got the distinct impression from their reply Google wishes to give
a year off to every veteran GSoC org beginning from last year, with a
chunk being given a year off each year from now on.

Basically, when it's your turn, it's your turn. If we weren't
rejected this year, it would have been next year.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/
http://ie.linkedin.com/in/nialldouglas/

SMime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Stefan Seefeld-2
Niall,

let me start by stressing how much I appreciate all you are doing for
Boost, and the GSoC administration in particular.

However...

On 01.03.2016 14:07, Niall Douglas wrote:

> On 1 Mar 2016 at 12:13, Andreas Schäfer wrote:
>
>> IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected. There's
>> really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.
> It is deeply disappointing for those students and mentors affected.
> It is highly disruptive to the pipeline we are running, and is not a
> case of simply pressing Pause on GSoC for a year. Many if not most of
> our students are postgrads, and next year they will no longer be
> eligible for GSoC.
>
>> For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
>> not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
>> Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
>> impact. I think that's a good thing.
> Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

...I find the above rather rude. And in particular as a potential GSoC
mentor I have to strongly object, not only to your tone, but also the
content. Please speak for yourself ! I don't see any trolling in this
thread.

I do appreciate Andreas' perspective, and I even agree with him. Of
course I would have preferred (as a potential Boost GSoC mentor) if the
Boost org had been selected. However, I can definitely appreciate the
desire to diversify the support into many different projects and
organizations, notably in smaller ones that lack any other form of
funding or administrative support.

Now let's all get over this disappointment and focus on what we can do
to improve the state of Boost, and support our prospective students in
other ways.

Kind regards,
        Stefan

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Hartmut Kaiser
Niall wrote:

> > For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
> > not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
> > Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
> > impact. I think that's a good thing.
>
> Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

Yes, it's disappointing for Boost (honestly, I didn't expect this would happen) and most likely for yourself, but is this really a reason for you to be rude to Andreas just because he does not share your opinion?

Regards Hartmut

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Rob Stewart-2
On March 1, 2016 2:19:44 PM EST, Stefan Seefeld <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Niall,
>
>let me start by stressing how much I appreciate all you are doing for
>Boost, and the GSoC administration in particular.

+1

>However...
>
>On 01.03.2016 14:07, Niall Douglas wrote:
>> On 1 Mar 2016 at 12:13, Andreas Schäfer wrote:
>>
>>> IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected.
>There's
>>> really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.
>> It is deeply disappointing for those students and mentors affected.
>> It is highly disruptive to the pipeline we are running, and is not a
>> case of simply pressing Pause on GSoC for a year. Many if not most of
>> our students are postgrads, and next year they will no longer be
>> eligible for GSoC.

Excellent points.

>>> For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger
>orgs
>>> not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
>>> Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
>>> impact. I think that's a good thing.
>> Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.
>
>...I find the above rather rude.

I found it very rude and quite unnecessary.

___
Rob

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Edward Diener-3
On 03/01/2016 02:07 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:

> On 1 Mar 2016 at 12:13, Andreas Schäfer wrote:
>
>> IIRC last year Mozilla and the Linux Foundation were rejected. There's
>> really nothing jaw dropping or outrageous about it.
>
> It is deeply disappointing for those students and mentors affected.
> It is highly disruptive to the pipeline we are running, and is not a
> case of simply pressing Pause on GSoC for a year. Many if not most of
> our students are postgrads, and next year they will no longer be
> eligible for GSoC.
>
>> For a small org two slots can make a huge difference, for larger orgs
>> not being accepted will generally not endanger the project itself.
>> Google is simply trying to put the money where it has the biggest
>> impact. I think that's a good thing.
>
> Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

Please stop accusing people of "trolling" who make the most reasonable
comments about things related to Boost. You have mistakenly done this in
the past and I really wish you would desist from doing this in the
future. If you do not like someone's comments just do not respond to them.

Re: [gsoc16] Boost rejected as GSoC 2016 org

Glen Fernandes
Niall Douglas wrote:
>  Please take your trolling elsewhere. Nobody here appreciates it.

Niall, I know that you put a lot of work into GSOC each year, so I can
understand that the rejection is unsettling.

I'm sure you responded in the heat of the moment and I would guess
that Andreas doesn't even require you to apologize for the accusation.

That said, given that you represent Boost in all things GSOC, for all
public eyes on this thread (or others), I personally wish that you employ
some restraint to avoid painting the organization in a less than desirable
light.

Glen
12