[gsoc] Official list released

troy d. straszheim
On behalf of the panel of mentors, congratulations to the students
listed here:

   http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/boost

And a sincere thank you to all those who applied.

There are a large number of entirely worthy proposals that we received
that are not on that list.  We had about 75 proposals, 11 willing
mentors, and as you can see, Google gave us seven slots.  It was very
difficult to narrow down the list to these seven, and if we'd been given
more slots, of course more of you would be on that list.

Unfortunately, due to the sheer number of submissions and various, ahem,
technical problems, it would not have been (and will not now be)
possible to offer specific feedback on submissions that didn't make the
cut.  For this we apologize.

Accepted students should eventually receive email from Google with
further instructions.  Per the schedule, the "community bonding" period
now begins, time to get your dev. environment set up, get to know the
toolchain, write some 'hello world' quickbook docs, etc.  Ask for help
if you need it.  You can also visit some of your fellow summer coders on
#boost-soc on freenode.

-t

Re: [gsoc] Official list released

John Maddock
> On behalf of the panel of mentors, congratulations to the students
> listed here:
>
>   http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/boost
>
> And a sincere thank you to all those who applied.

Congratulations to everyone involved, not least to those of you who stepped
forward to take on the mentoring this year!

John.

Re: [gsoc] Official list released

Eric Niebler
troy d. straszheim wrote:
> On behalf of the panel of mentors, congratulations to the students
> listed here:
>
>   http://socghop.appspot.com/org/home/google/gsoc2009/boost

Congrats to all!
<snip>

> Accepted students should eventually receive email from Google with
> further instructions.  Per the schedule, the "community bonding" period
> now begins, time to get your dev. environment set up, get to know the
> toolchain, write some 'hello world' quickbook docs, etc.  Ask for help
> if you need it.  You can also visit some of your fellow summer coders on
> #boost-soc on freenode.

In past years, we've had a wiki where students can find information on
how to do all these things (setting up dev environments, getting svn
access, using quickbook, etc.). Do we have such a wiki this year? Can we
populate it with information gleaned from previous years?

--
Eric Niebler
BoostPro Computing

Re: [gsoc] Official list released

Eugene Wee-2
On Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:26 AM, Eric Niebler <[hidden email]> wrote:
> In past years, we've had a wiki where students can find information on how
> to do all these things (setting up dev environments, getting svn access,
> using quickbook, etc.). Do we have such a wiki this year? Can we populate it
> with information gleaned from previous years?

Yes, that would be very helpful. For example, I am not sure if I am
supposed to follow the normal process and ask for Subversion access to
a /sandbox/SOC/2009/cgi directory, or if I should wait for the details
to be sent to me instead.

Incidentally, are there any plans to upgrade the server to run say,
Subversion 1.6.1? I suppose that if it works, there is no need to fix
it, but it is also apparent that there were many bugfixes and other
improvements since svn 1.4.2, and the 1.4.x series is no longer
officially supported.

Thanks,
Eugene Wee

Re: [gsoc] Official list released

Dave Abrahams

on Tue Apr 21 2009, Eric Niebler <eric-AT-boost-consulting.com> wrote:

> In past years, we've had a wiki where students can find information on how to do all
> these things (setting up dev environments, getting svn access, using quickbook,
> etc.). Do we have such a wiki this year? Can we populate it with information gleaned
> from previous years?

I guess you probably know this by now, over a month later, but:
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/soc2009

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing