[gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

[gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear all,

Google Summer of Code 2017 has ended with another successful summer of
student coding with probably the highest calibre year we've ever seen.
After four years as lead admin for Boost Summer of Code, my time has
come to an end. I'll be making way for David Bellot, long time mentor at
Boost GSoC and maintainer of Boost.uBLAS. Please join me in welcoming
David as new lead admin. I'll be staying on as backup admin next summer
to help David settle in.

My time as Boost Summer of Code admin has certainly been eventful with
lots of surprises, ups and downs. The fact these surprises did not turn
into crises is due in large part to a few people in particular who went
far beyond the call of duty:

* Jon Kalb, who went to bat for the students repeatedly in multiple
venues and finding tens of thousands of dollars when it was needed.

* Boris Schäling, whom I replaced as lead admin and who acted as backup
admin for some years, who also managed to arrange tens of thousands of
dollars of sponsorship when it was needed most.

* Bryce Adelstein Lelbach, for acting as backup admin these past few years.

* Andrew Sutton, the lead GSoC admin before Boris, who gave such
detailed and useful early advice and materials on how to best navigate
the treacherous waters of Google Summer of Code!

And finally to all the mentors who so generously volunteered their time,
and to the students every single one of whom successfully finished their
projects in my time as admin despite problems with sickness, deaths in
close family etc. Some of those students have gone on to become
mainstays of the C++ conference circuit, famous names in their own
right. I'm sure they would have been so without Google Summer of Code,
but I'd like to think that it helped bring them to Boost rather than
them getting into C++ via elsewhere. Thank you students!

Regards,
Niall

Re: [gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

Boost - Dev mailing list
Dear all,

I am Ruoyun Jing, a student of GSoC17 worked for Boost.Geometry. Thank all
in
Boost C++ Libraries during my Google Summer of Code, especially thank to
all the
mentors. I am willing to contribute to Boost after GSoC and try to make
everything
better in the future. I wish you all the best! :)

Regards,
Ruoyun Jing

On Fri, Sep 8, 2017 at 12:22 AM, Niall Douglas via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> Google Summer of Code 2017 has ended with another successful summer of
> student coding with probably the highest calibre year we've ever seen.
> After four years as lead admin for Boost Summer of Code, my time has
> come to an end. I'll be making way for David Bellot, long time mentor at
> Boost GSoC and maintainer of Boost.uBLAS. Please join me in welcoming
> David as new lead admin. I'll be staying on as backup admin next summer
> to help David settle in.
>
> My time as Boost Summer of Code admin has certainly been eventful with
> lots of surprises, ups and downs. The fact these surprises did not turn
> into crises is due in large part to a few people in particular who went
> far beyond the call of duty:
>
> * Jon Kalb, who went to bat for the students repeatedly in multiple
> venues and finding tens of thousands of dollars when it was needed.
>
> * Boris Schäling, whom I replaced as lead admin and who acted as backup
> admin for some years, who also managed to arrange tens of thousands of
> dollars of sponsorship when it was needed most.
>
> * Bryce Adelstein Lelbach, for acting as backup admin these past few years.
>
> * Andrew Sutton, the lead GSoC admin before Boris, who gave such
> detailed and useful early advice and materials on how to best navigate
> the treacherous waters of Google Summer of Code!
>
> And finally to all the mentors who so generously volunteered their time,
> and to the students every single one of whom successfully finished their
> projects in my time as admin despite problems with sickness, deaths in
> close family etc. Some of those students have gone on to become
> mainstays of the C++ conference circuit, famous names in their own
> right. I'm sure they would have been so without Google Summer of Code,
> but I'd like to think that it helped bring them to Boost rather than
> them getting into C++ via elsewhere. Thank you students!
>
> Regards,
> Niall

Northwest University of China
Software Engineering
[hidden email] <[hidden email]>

On 07/09/2017 17:22, Niall Douglas via Boost wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Google Summer of Code 2017 has ended with another successful summer of
> student coding with probably the highest calibre year we've ever seen.
> After four years as lead admin for Boost Summer of Code, my time has
> come to an end. I'll be making way for David Bellot, long time mentor at
> Boost GSoC and maintainer of Boost.uBLAS. Please join me in welcoming
> David as new lead admin. I'll be staying on as backup admin next summer
> to help David settle in.

I like to thank you for all your hard work in keeping this going -
there's a lot of really good hard work going on behind the scenes here
and Boost is all the richer for it!  I'm sure David will continue the
tradition and keep Boost participating in this great program.

Best, John Maddock.

Re: [Boost-users] [gsoc] Change in Google Summer of Code admin

Niall,

Thank you very much for taking on this role. I know that it demands more time and effort than people realize and you executed well.

As for Boost Summer of Code… we’ll let’s just put that down as “an adventure.” Thanks for your leadership there in an unpreceded situation and making that a success.

David,

Welcome to your new role. Andrew, Boris, and Niall have given us high expectations and I look forward to working with you.

Jon