[graph][graph_parallel][disjoint_sets] Of dependencies and "pending" libraries.

[graph][graph_parallel][disjoint_sets] Of dependencies and "pending" libraries.

Boost - Dev mailing list
In the process of creating Conan packages I ran into the rather strange
"disjoint_sets" library. It's a library that has been "pending" for 18
years, AFAICT. I don't know what a pending status means for this. But for
creating modular packages it means it's a giant PITA to deal with the the
interdependencies of "disjoint_sets", "graph", and "graph_parallel". What I
want to know is:

1. What is this hidden "disjoint_sets" library/module that only has two
headers?
2. Why isn't "disjoint_sets" in the "graph" library tree, especially given
that it's not an official library (AFAICT)?
3. Why is "graph_parallel" not in the "graph" library also?

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

Re: [graph][graph_parallel][disjoint_sets] Of dependencies and "pending" libraries.

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 4/21/2018 9:08 AM, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:

> In the process of creating Conan packages I ran into the rather strange
> "disjoint_sets" library. It's a library that has been "pending" for 18
> years, AFAICT. I don't know what a pending status means for this. But for
> creating modular packages it means it's a giant PITA to deal with the the
> interdependencies of "disjoint_sets", "graph", and "graph_parallel". What I
> want to know is:
>
> 1. What is this hidden "disjoint_sets" library/module that only has two
> headers?
> 2. Why isn't "disjoint_sets" in the "graph" library tree, especially given
> that it's not an official library (AFAICT)?
> 3. Why is "graph_parallel" not in the "graph" library also?

I do not know anything about disjoint_sets but graph_parallel was
separated from graph because it represented depencendies which a user of
graph need not have. BTW the maintainer of graph and graph_parallel has
been absent for a long time now so maybe someone else would be willing
to take over maintenance of both.

Re: [graph][graph_parallel][disjoint_sets] Of dependencies and "pending" libraries.

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 9:56 AM Edward Diener via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> On 4/21/2018 9:08 AM, Rene Rivera via Boost wrote:
> > In the process of creating Conan packages I ran into the rather strange
> > "disjoint_sets" library. It's a library that has been "pending" for 18
> > years, AFAICT. I don't know what a pending status means for this. But for
> > creating modular packages it means it's a giant PITA to deal with the the
> > interdependencies of "disjoint_sets", "graph", and "graph_parallel".
> What I
> > want to know is:
> >
> > 1. What is this hidden "disjoint_sets" library/module that only has two
> > headers?
> > 2. Why isn't "disjoint_sets" in the "graph" library tree, especially
> given
> > that it's not an official library (AFAICT)?
> > 3. Why is "graph_parallel" not in the "graph" library also?
> >

> I do not know anything about disjoint_sets

Okay.. I'll try and submit some PRs to move it soon.

but graph_parallel was
> separated from graph because it represented depencendies which a user of
> graph need not have.

That almost makes sense ;-) I say that because graph depends on
graph_parallel. I know it doesn't if you don't happen to include some
specific headers. But we've already gone over the module level dependency
discussions.

BTW the maintainer of graph and graph_parallel has
> been absent for a long time now so maybe someone else would be willing
> to take over maintenance of both.

I'll see if I can write up a post requesting maintainers.

Rene.

Rene Rivera wrote:
> > but graph_parallel was separated from graph because it represented
> > depencendies which a user of graph need not have.
>
> That almost makes sense ;-) I say that because graph depends on
> graph_parallel. I know it doesn't if you don't happen to include some
> specific headers. But we've already gone over the module level dependency
> discussions.

As far as I can see, Graph includes headers from Graph_parallel only when
BOOST_GRAPH_USE_MPI is defined.

Re: [graph][graph_parallel][disjoint_sets] Of dependencies and "pending" libraries.

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Apr 21, 2018, 11:02 AM Peter Dimov via Boost <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Rene Rivera wrote:
> > > but graph_parallel was separated from graph because it represented
> > > depencendies which a user of graph need not have.
> >
> > That almost makes sense ;-) I say that because graph depends on
> > graph_parallel. I know it doesn't if you don't happen to include some
> > specific headers. But we've already gone over the module level
> dependency
> > discussions.
>
> As far as I can see, Graph includes headers from Graph_parallel only when
> BOOST_GRAPH_USE_MPI is defined.

Interesting.. but doesn't help the module level dependency problem. Maybe
those graph mpi headers should move to graph_parallel?

Rene.