[graph] State of the README

Today's post [1] about feature suggestion for the BGL made me
browse a bit and noticed this curious notes in the README [2]

"Bugs and feature requests can be reported through the Trac issue tracker (...)
Here [3] is why Trac is still in use."

Is this information up to date?

Last (substantial) change to the README.md happened in 2016.
The Trac use rationale linked [3] from the readme is from 2015.

[1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2020/02/248164.php
[2] https://github.com/boostorg/graph/blob/develop/README.md
[3] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/04/221780.php

Re: [graph] State of the README

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> "Bugs and feature requests can be reported through the Trac issue tracker (...)
> Here [3] is why Trac is still in use."
>
> Is this information up to date?

Unlikely. While GitHub issues might lack some functionality, we should
really be using them and not make users go through Trac (which should
be retired and put into a read only mode).

That README content came from an outside contributor, and while at one
point we did rely on Trac after the GitHub migration, that has since
changed with most repositories and maintainers looking to GitHub
issues as the primary source of tracking features and bugs.

I'd check by e-mailing the maintainer of Graph directly. Most likely
that README.md should be updated to strike that text.

Glen

Re: [graph] State of the README

Trac is now read-only I believe - but still contains potentially valuable
historic bug reports.

As far as I know, new 'bug' reports should use GitHub issues.

Paul

(...)

> Here [3] is why Trac is still in use."
>
> Is this information up to date?
>
> Last (substantial) change to the README.md happened in 2016.
> The Trac use rationale linked [3] from the readme is from 2015.
>
> [1] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2020/02/248164.php
> [2] https://github.com/boostorg/graph/blob/develop/README.md
> [3] https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2015/04/221780.php
>
> Best regards,

Re: [graph] State of the README

On 09/02/2020 13:24, Glen Fernandes via Boost wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> "Bugs and feature requests can be reported through the Trac issue tracker (...)
>> Here [3] is why Trac is still in use."
>>
>> Is this information up to date?
> Unlikely. While GitHub issues might lack some functionality, we should
> really be using them and not make users go through Trac (which should
> be retired and put into a read only mode).
Trac is read only already - all new issues should go to github.

> That README content came from an outside contributor, and while at one
> point we did rely on Trac after the GitHub migration, that has since
> changed with most repositories and maintainers looking to GitHub
> issues as the primary source of tracking features and bugs.
>
> I'd check by e-mailing the maintainer of Graph directly. Most likely
> that README.md should be updated to strike that text.

Graph has no active maintainer - the CMT has done some maintenance -
that's mostly me as gatekeeper with anadon doing most of the heavy
lifting.  I've tried to keep it to minor maintenance along with some
testing/CI improvements.

In any event, I've just pushed a fix for this, also added CI badges
while I was at it.

Best, John.

Re: [graph] State of the README

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sun, 9 Feb 2020 at 20:49, John Maddock via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 09/02/2020 13:24, Glen Fernandes via Boost wrote:
> > On Sat, Feb 8, 2020 at 4:03 PM Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> "Bugs and feature requests can be reported through the Trac issue tracker (...)
> >> Here [3] is why Trac is still in use."
> >>
> >> Is this information up to date?
> > Unlikely. While GitHub issues might lack some functionality, we should
> > really be using them and not make users go through Trac (which should
> > be retired and put into a read only mode).
> Trac is read only already - all new issues should go to github.
> >
> > That README content came from an outside contributor, and while at one
> > point we did rely on Trac after the GitHub migration, that has since
> > changed with most repositories and maintainers looking to GitHub
> > issues as the primary source of tracking features and bugs.
> >
> > I'd check by e-mailing the maintainer of Graph directly. Most likely
> > that README.md should be updated to strike that text.
>
> Graph has no active maintainer - the CMT has done some maintenance -

I was wondering about it when I looked at the README.

> In any event, I've just pushed a fix for this, also added CI badges
> while I was at it.

Thank you

Thanks to Glen and Paul for the responses too.