Quantcast

[geometry] Documentation garbage (Re: [Boost-announce] [release] Boost 1.64.0 Beta 1)

[geometry] Documentation garbage (Re: [Boost-announce] [release] Boost 1.64.0 Beta 1)

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 23 March 2017 at 15:11, Rene Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Boost release 1.64.0 beta 1 is now available at:
> [...]
> Please download the beta, give it a try, and report any problems you
> encounter.

I noticed, the package consists of intermediate files
from docs generation process of Boost.Geometry:

/libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/html_by_doxygen
/libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/xml

May I ask how documentation of individual library makes it into the package?

/libs/geometry/doc/Jamfile.v2 calls our custom make_qbk.py script
which is known to not to do any post-generation clean-ups of intermediate files.
Shall we add such cleanup to make_qbk.py or it is not relevant for
release process?

Re: [geometry] Documentation garbage (Re: [Boost-announce] [release] Boost 1.64.0 Beta 1)

Boost - Dev mailing list
My apologies, but I had no idea modifying a subject line will start a
new thread,
instead of joinig my post under the original thread.
Looks like GMail might be broken indeed and strips/misses message IDs.

Mateusz

On 25 March 2017 at 21:57, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 23 March 2017 at 15:11, Rene Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Boost release 1.64.0 beta 1 is now available at:
>> [...]
>> Please download the beta, give it a try, and report any problems you
>> encounter.
>
> I noticed, the package consists of intermediate files
> from docs generation process of Boost.Geometry:
>
> /libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/html_by_doxygen
> /libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/xml
>
> May I ask how documentation of individual library makes it into the package?
>
> /libs/geometry/doc/Jamfile.v2 calls our custom make_qbk.py script
> which is known to not to do any post-generation clean-ups of intermediate files.
> Shall we add such cleanup to make_qbk.py or it is not relevant for
> release process?
>
> Best regards,

Re: [geometry] Documentation garbage (Re: [Boost-announce] [release] Boost 1.64.0 Beta 1)

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> My apologies, but I had no idea modifying a subject line will start a
> new thread,
> instead of joinig my post under the original thread.
> Looks like GMail might be broken indeed and strips/misses message IDs.

Thanks for reposting.. I missed it the first time..

On 25 March 2017 at 21:57, Mateusz Loskot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 23 March 2017 at 15:11, Rene Rivera <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Boost release 1.64.0 beta 1 is now available at:
> >> [...]
> >> Please download the beta, give it a try, and report any problems you
> >> encounter.
> >
> > I noticed, the package consists of intermediate files
> > from docs generation process of Boost.Geometry:
> >
> > /libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/html_by_doxygen
> > /libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/xml
> >
> > May I ask how documentation of individual library makes it into the
> package?

For reference here's where the release building script starts the doc
building <
https://github.com/boostorg/release-tools/blob/develop/ci_boost_release.py#L147
>.

Essentially it calls b2 in the boost-root/doc dir. Which, in a rather
complicated b2 way, boils down to building the boostrelease and boostdoc
targets of every library that has them. We then try and clean up some extra
temp files <
https://github.com/boostorg/release-tools/blob/develop/ci_boost_release.py#L165>.
And finally package up the entire tree for all the archive formats.

> /libs/geometry/doc/Jamfile.v2 calls our custom make_qbk.py script
> > which is known to not to do any post-generation clean-ups of
> intermediate files.
> > Shall we add such cleanup to make_qbk.py or it is not relevant for
> > release process?

I would greatly appreciate if you added that cleanup. Since you know
exactly what to clean up instead of me guessing.

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything

On 26 March 2017 at 05:14, Rene Rivera via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 25, 2017 at 6:43 PM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > I noticed, the package consists of intermediate files
>> > from docs generation process of Boost.Geometry:
>> >
>> > /libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/html_by_doxygen
>> > /libs/geometry/doc/doxy/doxygen_output/xml
>> >
>> > May I ask how documentation of individual library makes it into the
>> package?
>>

> For reference here's where the release building script starts the doc
> building <https://github.com/boostorg/release-tools/blob/develop/ci_boost_release.py#L147>
>
> [...]
> I would greatly appreciate if you added that cleanup. Since you know
> exactly what to clean up instead of me guessing.

Rene, thank you for the pointers.
I followed it and run ci_boost_release.py locally,
then worked out a small patch to Geometry's make_qbk.py.

PR submitted against Geometry develop
https://github.com/boostorg/geometry/pull/387

If it is sound and merged into develop/master, the release package
should no longer be polluted.