[foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

[foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
The following libraries still have PRs, which I have previously
submitted, for removing the executable attribute for one or more files:

foreach
polygon
xpressive
bimap
ptr_container
gil
assign
typeof
msm

None of these PRs affect anything other than the file attribute, so no
testing is needed AFAICS since no code changes. If the maintainers of
the above libraries, or someone else with write access to these
libraries, can merge the appropriate PR to 'develop', and then merge
'develop' to 'master', we can get rid of having any files with their
executable attribute set in the next release.



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
Edward Diener wrote:

> The following libraries still have PRs, which I have previously submitted,
> for removing the executable attribute for one or more files:
>
> foreach
> polygon
> xpressive
> bimap
> ptr_container
> gil
> assign
> typeof
> msm

Are any of these candidates for community management?


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11/3/2017 5:56 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

> Edward Diener wrote:
>
>> The following libraries still have PRs, which I have previously
>> submitted, for removing the executable attribute for one or more files:
>>
>> foreach
>> polygon
>> xpressive
>> bimap
>> ptr_container
>> gil
>> assign
>> typeof
>> msm
>
> Are any of these candidates for community management?

No. I already took care of any CMT libraries that had such files. Thanks
for taking care of the above libraries.


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11/04/17 01:06, Edward Diener via Boost wrote:

> On 11/3/2017 5:56 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:
>> Edward Diener wrote:
>>
>>> The following libraries still have PRs, which I have previously
>>> submitted, for removing the executable attribute for one or more files:
>>>
>>> foreach
>>> polygon
>>> xpressive
>>> bimap
>>> ptr_container
>>> gil
>>> assign
>>> typeof
>>> msm
>>
>> Are any of these candidates for community management?
>
> No. I already took care of any CMT libraries that had such files. Thanks
> for taking care of the above libraries.

I think CMT should have push access to all libraries, even those with
active maintainers. There are times when maintainers are not able to
work on their libraries and someone has to do at least basic maintenance
instead.

Some of the mentioned libraries, though, don't have an active
maintainer. I'd say, assign, foreach, ptr_container, typeof, xpressive
are possible candidates for community maintenance.

_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
> msm

This one has significant unmerged differences between master and develop. Is
Christophe active?


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
> > msm
>
> This one has significant unmerged differences between master and develop.
> Is Christophe active?

The situation is similar in 'ptr_container': many significant differences
between master in develop. In addition, the tests fail, in a manner that
does not immediately evoke a fix.

The tests for 'assign' fail too.

'assign' and 'ptr_container' seem candidates for community maintenance.


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11/4/2017 11:23 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

>> > msm
>>
>> This one has significant unmerged differences between master and
>> develop. Is Christophe active?
>
> The situation is similar in 'ptr_container': many significant
> differences between master in develop. In addition, the tests fail, in a
> manner that does not immediately evoke a fix.
>
> The tests for 'assign' fail too.
>
> 'assign' and 'ptr_container' seem candidates for community maintenance.

It is a real problem to find people to take over maintenance of a
library when the author or current maintainer can no longer do so. I am
surprised that Eric Niebler ( foreach, xpressive in the title ) no
longer maintains his libraries because they are usually so solid they
need little maintaining, but everyone eventually moves on to other
things. I do wish that the Boost Steering Committee would be more
proactive in encouraging C++ programmers who might be good enough to
maintain a Boost library to do so, when they post on the list about
having an interest in Boost. More libraries placed in CMT is not a
viable long-term solution because of the limited numbers of developers
in the CMT group.


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
Edward Diener wrote:
> I do wish that the Boost Steering Committee would be more proactive in
> encouraging C++ programmers who might be good enough to maintain a Boost
> library to do so, when they post on the list about having an interest in
> Boost. More libraries placed in CMT is not a viable long-term solution
> because of the limited numbers of developers in the CMT group.

On the contrary. A library should always be placed in CMT first before being
given to a new maintainer. Once a person emerges whose pull requests to the
library demonstrate ability and long-term willingness to maintain it, the
library may be handed over to him. Not before.

The CMT's primary task should be to merge pull requests. Not that much
manpower is required.


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 11/4/2017 11:54 AM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

> Edward Diener wrote:
>> I do wish that the Boost Steering Committee would be more proactive in
>> encouraging C++ programmers who might be good enough to maintain a
>> Boost library to do so, when they post on the list about having an
>> interest in Boost. More libraries placed in CMT is not a viable
>> long-term solution because of the limited numbers of developers in the
>> CMT group.
>
> On the contrary. A library should always be placed in CMT first before
> being given to a new maintainer. Once a person emerges whose pull
> requests to the library demonstrate ability and long-term willingness to
> maintain it, the library may be handed over to him. Not before.
>
> The CMT's primary task should be to merge pull requests. Not that much
> manpower is required.

The manpower involves having a member of the CMT group understand code
in nn different libraries in order to decide if a merge request is valid
or not. It is very easy to say "just merge code" but the reality is much
different.



_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
Edward Diener wrote:

> > On the contrary. A library should always be placed in CMT first before
> > being given to a new maintainer. Once a person emerges whose pull
> > requests to the library demonstrate ability and long-term willingness to
> > maintain it, the library may be handed over to him. Not before.
> >
> > The CMT's primary task should be to merge pull requests. Not that much
> > manpower is required.
>
> The manpower involves having a member of the CMT group understand code in
> nn different libraries in order to decide if a merge request is valid or
> not. It is very easy to say "just merge code" but the reality is much
> different.

I know what it involves. None of that invalidates any of what I said.


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
> 'assign' and 'ptr_container' seem candidates for community maintenance.

In fact, nobody currently has write access to boostorg/assign and
boostorg/ptr_container, which seems a good indication for them being already
de-facto "community-maintained", admittedly by a highly select community.

So I'm giving the CMT write access to them.


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
In reply to this post by Boost - Dev mailing list
I would suggest that any boost project should have MORE THAN ONE project
owner.

- So we would have more developers with write access to the projects
- Pull requests with features/bugfixes could be merged
- No stagnation in projects (or less projects than now)
- No need for so many projects to become CMT. There would be "fallback"
project owners.

- There would be need for code reviews. Yes, for the code of project
owners too! They should make regular merge requests to the other project
owners.
- In formal code reviews: not one developer against all others, but a
team represents the project

Mike...


Am 02.11.2017 um 17:37 schrieb Edward Diener via Boost:

> The following libraries still have PRs, which I have previously
> submitted, for removing the executable attribute for one or more files:
>
> foreach
> polygon
> xpressive
> bimap
> ptr_container
> gil
> assign
> typeof
> msm
>
> None of these PRs affect anything other than the file attribute, so no
> testing is needed AFAICS since no code changes. If the maintainers of
> the above libraries, or someone else with write access to these
> libraries, can merge the appropriate PR to 'develop', and then merge
> 'develop' to 'master', we can get rid of having any files with their
> executable attribute set in the next release.
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> Unsubscribe & other changes:
> http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [foreach][polygon][xpressive][bimap][ptr_container][gil][assign][typeof][msm] PRs for removing executable attribute for files

Boost - Dev mailing list
AMDG

On 11/05/2017 03:18 AM, Mike Gresens via Boost wrote:
> I would suggest that any boost project should have MORE THAN ONE project
> owner.
>

This seems like a futile suggestion (unless you are volunteering).

> - So we would have more developers with write access to the projects
> - Pull requests with features/bugfixes could be merged
> - No stagnation in projects (or less projects than now)
> - No need for so many projects to become CMT. There would be "fallback"
> project owners.
>
> - There would be need for code reviews. Yes, for the code of project
> owners too! They should make regular merge requests to the other project
> owners.
> - In formal code reviews: not one developer against all others, but a
> team represents the project
>

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe


_______________________________________________
Unsubscribe & other changes: http://lists.boost.org/mailman/listinfo.cgi/boost