[filesystem] Library maintainers needed

Boost - Dev mailing list
 I'm retiring, so Boost.Filesystem needs one or more maintainers.

This is a high complexity library, further complicated by (1) requiring
both Windows and non-Windows implementation code and (2) needing a major
upgrade for compatibility with the new standard library version shipped in
C++17.

Furthermore, there are constant Pull Requests and Issues that arise, and
these almost invariably take a lot of time for the maintainer to process.

My personal opinion is that Boost should deprecate the Boost library in
favor of the standard library implementations, and do only minimal
maintenance for several years until most users have migrated to C++17 or
later. But that's up to the new maintainers to decide.

Thanks,

--Beman

Re: [filesystem] Library maintainers needed

Boost - Dev mailing list
Beman Dawes wrote:

> I'm retiring, so Boost.Filesystem needs one or more maintainers.
>
> This is a high complexity library, further complicated by (1) requiring
> both Windows and non-Windows implementation code and (2) needing a major
> upgrade for compatibility with the new standard library version shipped in
> C++17.
>
> Furthermore, there are constant Pull Requests and Issues that arise, and
> these almost invariably take a lot of time for the maintainer to process.

I handled some of the critical pull requests for Filesystem, but I'm not the
right person to take on maintainer duties for it.

I would like to see Andrey Semashev maintaining Filesystem, if he agrees, of
course.

On 9/22/18 6:08 PM, Peter Dimov via Boost wrote:

> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> I'm retiring, so Boost.Filesystem needs one or more maintainers.
>>
>> This is a high complexity library, further complicated by (1)
>> requiring both Windows and non-Windows implementation code and (2)
>> needing a major upgrade for compatibility with the new standard
>> library version shipped in C++17.
>>
>> Furthermore, there are constant Pull Requests and Issues that arise,
>> and these almost invariably take a lot of time for the maintainer to
>> process.
>
> I handled some of the critical pull requests for Filesystem, but I'm not
> the right person to take on maintainer duties for it.
>
> I would like to see Andrey Semashev maintaining Filesystem, if he
> agrees, of course.

I will be happy to take some maintenance work, although I have rather
limited free time lately. Ideally, I would like to split the work with
someone. It's ok if noone else volunteers, though.