explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict

explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict

Boost - Build mailing list

Hi,

My tester ("Debian-Sid") stopped working December 22. It now fails with the following error. Any idea what it means? Or where to start looking?

/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/feature.jam:779: in expand-composites from module feature

error: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict

error: existing values: multi single

error: value from expanding <threading>single : single

/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/feature.jam:864: in feature.expand from module feature

/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/property-set.jam:159: in [hidden email] from module object(property-set)@293159

/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/targets.jam:900: in targets.apply-default-build from module targets

[ ... ]

/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/kernel/bootstrap.jam:139: in boost-build from module

/var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_root/boost-build.jam:17: in module scope from module

The content of boost_root/boost-build.jam is:

# Copyright (C) 2002-2003 David Abrahams.
# Copyright (C) 2002-2003 Vladimir Prus.
# Copyright (C) 2003,2007 Rene Rivera.
# Use, modification and distribution are subject to the
# Boost Software License, Version 1.0. (See accompanying file
# LICENSE_1_0.txt or copy at http://www.boost.org/LICENSE_1_0.txt)

#   This is the initial file loaded by Boost Jam when run from any Boost library
# folder. It allows us to choose which Boost Build installation to use for
# building Boost libraries. Unless explicitly selected using a command-line
# option, the version included with the Boost library distribution is used (as
# opposed to any other Boost Build version installed on the user's sytem).

BOOST_ROOT = $(.boost-build-file:D) ;
BOOST_BUILD = [ MATCH --boost-build=(.*) : $(ARGV) ] ;
BOOST_BUILD ?= tools/build/src ;
boost-build $(BOOST_BUILD) ;

I've attached the full bjam.log. The build proceeds as follows:

wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/boostorg/regression/develop/testing/src/run.py

export HOME=`pwd`

echo 'using mpi ;' > site-config.jam

python run.py --runner=Debian-Sid --bjam-options=-j4 --toolsets=gcc --tag=master

Thanks,

-Steve

bjam.log (20K) Download Attachment

Re: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/16/2018 10:01 PM, Steve Robbins via Boost-build wrote:

> My tester ("Debian-Sid") stopped working December 22.  It now fails with the following
> error.  Any idea what it means?  Or where to start looking?

The most likely culprit is
https://github.com/boostorg/build/commit/15c876025afb3caa2961642179b112f0532dcdf1

but that's quite a bit later.

My best guess is that it's related to mpi, since I didn't
test with MPI and most testers are fine.  I'll look into
it ASAP.

> /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/feature.jam:
> 779: in expand-composites from module feature
> error: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict
> error: existing values: multi single
> error: value from expanding  <threading>single : single
> <snip>
> export HOME=`pwd`
> echo 'using mpi ;' > site-config.jam
>
> python run.py --runner=Debian-Sid --bjam-options=-j4 --toolsets=gcc  --tag=master

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict

Boost - Build mailing list
AMDG

On 01/16/2018 10:01 PM, Steve Robbins via Boost-build wrote:

> My tester ("Debian-Sid") stopped working December 22.  It now fails with the following
> error.  Any idea what it means?  Or where to start looking?

Okay.  I've tracked this down to the addition of
tools/check_build.

It's a result of an unfortunate combination of factors:
- Boost.Build does not allow <threading>multi in usage-requirements
- Boost.MPI tries to set <threading>multi in its usage-requirements
- Boost.Build mostly ignores the problem and it sort of works,
  except in one case: If a target has a dependency property in
  its usage-requirements.
- tools/Jamfile.v2 sets <implicit-dependency>/boost//headers (which
  is a dependency property) in its usage-requirements
- tools/check_build/test inherits this and also uses Boost.MPI,
  thus triggering the error.

Proposed solution:
- Boost.Build should ignore non-free usage requirements
  and issue a warning.

> /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/feature.jam:
> 779: in expand-composites from module feature
> error: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict
> error: existing values: multi single

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe

Re: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict

Boost - Build mailing list
On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 11:46:06 AM CST Steven Watanabe via Boost-build
wrote:

> Proposed solution:
> - Boost.Build should ignore non-free usage requirements
>   and issue a warning.

Thank you!  The develop branch is now working again.

-Steve

On 1/17/18 12:46 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 01/16/2018 10:01 PM, Steve Robbins via Boost-build wrote:
>> My tester ("Debian-Sid") stopped working December 22.  It now fails with the following
>> error.  Any idea what it means?  Or where to start looking?
>>
> Okay.  I've tracked this down to the addition of
> tools/check_build.
>
> It's a result of an unfortunate combination of factors:
> - Boost.Build does not allow <threading>multi in usage-requirements
> - Boost.MPI tries to set <threading>multi in its usage-requirements
> - Boost.Build mostly ignores the problem and it sort of works,
>   except in one case: If a target has a dependency property in
>   its usage-requirements.
> - tools/Jamfile.v2 sets <implicit-dependency>/boost//headers (which
>   is a dependency property) in its usage-requirements
> - tools/check_build/test inherits this and also uses Boost.MPI,
>   thus triggering the error.
>
> Proposed solution:
> - Boost.Build should ignore non-free usage requirements
>   and issue a warning.

Sorry to come in late to the discussion -- I fell behind on keeping up
with this group.  I don't remember if I try to use a non-free feature in
usage requirements, but it would be nice if you could.  However, if it
doesn't support it, I think it should be an error.

>> /var/lib/jenkins/jobs/Boost-Testing-master-64/workspace/boost_bb/src/build/feature.jam:
>> 779: in expand-composites from module feature
>> error: explicitly-specified values of non-free feature <threading> conflict
>> error: existing values: multi single
> In Christ,
> Steven Watanabe

Phillip

On 01/22/2018 06:53 AM, Phillip Seaver via Boost-build wrote:
> On 1/17/18 12:46 PM, Steven Watanabe via Boost-build wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Proposed solution:
>> - Boost.Build should ignore non-free usage requirements
>>   and issue a warning.
>
> Sorry to come in late to the discussion -- I fell behind on keeping up
> with this group.  I don't remember if I try to use a non-free feature in
> usage requirements, but it would be nice if you could.

  It would be nice, but it's really complicated
and I don't have a consistent model of what
ought to happen.

>  However, if it
> doesn't support it, I think it should be an error.

  It should be, but for now I'm compromising with
a warning to avoid breaking everything.

In Christ,
Steven Watanabe