documentation generating questions

Cromwell Enage
I'm currently using CVS HEAD for learning how to use
Quickbook.  My compiler is MinGW (GCC 3.4.5).

1. Is there a way I can tell BJam not to [re]build
intermediary files in the bin.v2 directory in order to
generate BoostBook documentation, or does BJam
actually need those intermediary files instead of some
requisite shared/static libraries that I can specify
via a using declaration?  IME, the first time I invoke
BJam from within BOOST_ROOT/doc, the intermediary
files are built, but then my computer shuts off.  When
I turn it back on, no documentation has been
generated.  However, whenever I invoke BJam from then
on, everything works fine (but see below).

2. BJam doesn't generate BoostBook HTML files if the
directories in which they would be located don't yet
exist (e.g. BOOST_ROOT/doc/html/typeof).  Is this a
bug or a feature?

                              Cromwell D. Enage

Re: documentation generating questions

Cédric Venet
Quoting Cromwell Enage <[hidden email]>:

> 1. Is there a way I can tell BJam not to [re]build
> intermediary files in the bin.v2 directory in order to
> generate BoostBook documentation, or does BJam
> actually need those intermediary files instead of some
> requisite shared/static libraries that I can specify
> via a using declaration?  IME, the first time I invoke

in your user-config.jam, you can put the repertory of quickbook.
something like

using quickboock: "rep/of/quickbook";

see the doc on the installation page. Myself, I didn't need to do this
and it don't recreate the intermediate file each time... (I am using
M$ compiler)

> 2. BJam doesn't generate BoostBook HTML files if the
> directories in which they would be located don't yet
> exist (e.g. BOOST_ROOT/doc/html/typeof).  Is this a
> bug or a feature?

It seems you need a patched version of xsltproc, see the boostbook
documentation ont the top of the installation page. the standard
version can't create the repertories

!!! Someone should really put more weight on this in the doc !!!
!!! and correct the quickboock installation page which don't mention this !!!

--
Cédric

Re: documentation generating questions

John Maddock
Cromwell Enage wrote:

> I'm currently using CVS HEAD for learning how to use
> Quickbook.  My compiler is MinGW (GCC 3.4.5).
>
> 1. Is there a way I can tell BJam not to [re]build
> intermediary files in the bin.v2 directory in order to
> generate BoostBook documentation, or does BJam
> actually need those intermediary files instead of some
> requisite shared/static libraries that I can specify
> via a using declaration?  IME, the first time I invoke
> BJam from within BOOST_ROOT/doc, the intermediary
> files are built, but then my computer shuts off.  When
> I turn it back on, no documentation has been
> generated.  However, whenever I invoke BJam from then
> on, everything works fine (but see below).

If you want to avoid rebuilding quickbook, then add:

using quickbook : path-to-exe/quickbook.exe ;

to user-config.jam.

> 2. BJam doesn't generate BoostBook HTML files if the
> directories in which they would be located don't yet
> exist (e.g. BOOST_ROOT/doc/html/typeof).  Is this a
> bug or a feature?

It's a problem with the windows port of xsltproc, there's a patched version
here: http://www.meta-comm.com/engineering/boost/xsltproc-win32.zip see the
Boostbook getting started guide here for more details:
http://www.boost.org/doc/html/boostbook/getting/started.html

HTH, John.

--- John Maddock wrote:
> If you want to avoid rebuilding quickbook, then add:
>
> using quickbook : path-to-exe/quickbook.exe ;
>
> to user-config.jam.

Okay, that worked.  I had a "using quickbook"
statement without the path.

                              Thanks!
                              Cromwell D. Enage