[container] devector merged into Boost.Container

[container] devector merged into Boost.Container

Boost - Dev mailing list
Hi to all,

Many years after the review (it was finished in 2017), I managed to find
some time to make the review result possible and integrate double-ended
library's "devector" class in Boost.Container. I merged the
implementation some days ago in develop branch and I hope we can merge
it to master soon.

Several changes were needed (C++03 support, similar interface/features
to other containers, removed some non-essential operations that were not
present in other containers...) to do a proper integration. It's might
not be production-ready, documentation might be still lacking, but I
think it's a good starting point. Initial performance benchmarks seems
to show I haven't broken anything important;-)

I made no changes to original devector's main design, no experiments
with growth or data movement policies. There were many good ideas in the
review and outside boost we have experiments worth trying. Examples:

- https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2017/10/239316.php

- http://larshagencpp.github.io/blog/2016/05/22/devector

I also plan to slowly start sharing more implementation details between
devector and vector to avoid code duplication and ease maintenance, and
adding some missing operations in devector that are in vector (like
default initialization insertions).

Many thanks to Benedek for his patience, and great design/implementation
(including a detailed test-suite, absolutely essential to ease the work
I needed to do to integrate devector in the library). Better late than
never ;-)

Best,

Ion

Re: [container] devector merged into Boost.Container

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 01:14 Ion Gaztañaga <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi to all,
>
> Many years after the review (it was finished in 2017), I managed to find
> some time to make the review result possible and integrate double-ended
> library's "devector" class in Boost.Container. I merged the
> implementation some days ago in develop branch and I hope we can merge
> it to master soon.

Thanks for going through the last critical mile, and doing the difficult
conversion.
Looking forward to see it released!

Benedek

Re: [container] devector merged into Boost.Container

Boost - Dev mailing list
Sounds good, I've always thought circular_buffer (and perhaps even
boost::array) should be merged into the container library.

/Viktor

On Sat, Aug 15, 2020 at 5:24 PM Benedek Thaler via Boost <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 15, 2020, 01:14 Ion Gaztañaga <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi to all,
> >
> > Many years after the review (it was finished in 2017), I managed to find
> > some time to make the review result possible and integrate double-ended
> > library's "devector" class in Boost.Container. I merged the
> > implementation some days ago in develop branch and I hope we can merge
> > it to master soon.
>

> Thanks for going through the last critical mile, and doing the difficult
> conversion.
> Looking forward to see it released!
>
> Benedek

Gmane problem with mailing list

Boost - Dev mailing list
Gmane is no longer reflecting this mailing list. I have been discussing
this in the gmane.discuss newsgroup and it was suggested that I try to
find out if anything had changed with this mailing list which would
prohibit gmane from picking it up and reflecting its latest messages in
gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel. So I am asking here after switching myself
from using the gmane newsgroup to using the mailing list directly.
Needless to say if you are like me you are much more comfortable using
the gmane newsgroup than the mailing list interface, so trying to find
out why gmane is no longer working with this mailing list has some
importance to me.

Re: Gmane problem with mailing list

Boost - Dev mailing list
On Aug 16, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Edward Diener via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Gmane is no longer reflecting this mailing list. I have been discussing this in the gmane.discuss newsgroup and it was suggested that I try to find out if anything had changed with this mailing list which would prohibit gmane from picking it up and reflecting its latest messages in gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel. So I am asking here after switching myself from using the gmane newsgroup to using the mailing list directly. Needless to say if you are like me you are much more comfortable using the gmane newsgroup than the mailing list interface, so trying to find out why gmane is no longer working with this mailing list has some importance to me.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with the Mailman setup on lists.boost.org <http://lists.boost.org/>.
Is GMane reflecting other boost lists, like boost-users? Have those had problems as well?

— Marshall

On 8/16/2020 2:36 PM, Marshall Clow via Boost wrote:
> On Aug 16, 2020, at 11:21 AM, Edward Diener via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Gmane is no longer reflecting this mailing list. I have been discussing this in the gmane.discuss newsgroup and it was suggested that I try to find out if anything had changed with this mailing list which would prohibit gmane from picking it up and reflecting its latest messages in gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel. So I am asking here after switching myself from using the gmane newsgroup to using the mailing list directly. Needless to say if you are like me you are much more comfortable using the gmane newsgroup than the mailing list interface, so trying to find out why gmane is no longer working with this mailing list has some importance to me.
> As far as I know, nothing has changed with the Mailman setup on lists.boost.org <http://lists.boost.org/>.
> Is GMane reflecting other boost lists, like boost-users? Have those had problems as well?

It is picking up the latest messages for boost-users, but not for this
mailing list. I have tried to get gmane to pick up the latest messages
for this mailing list using a web interface which gmane now has at
https://admin.gmane.io/. But so far no one from gmane has responded to
my effort to resubscribe this mailing list. Maybe after the weekend it
will be straightened out. Lars I., who is the main gmane developer, has
not been very active recently in the gmane.discuss ng, so hopefully
someone else at gmane can figure this out.

BTW gmane is now gamne.io and not gmane.org anymore. Boost needs to
change any links on its website for the Boost mailing lists to refer to
gmane.io and not gmane.org when speaking about gmane reflection of messages.

Re: Embarcadero C++ clang-based PRs

>   Edward Diener wrote:
>> parameter = https://github.com/boostorg/parameter/pull/103

> This one should be easy - you're a maintainer of Parameter.

I merged the PR in Parameter. That still leaves 8 PRs. If you have write
access to any of those PRs would you please merge the appropriate
Embarcadero PR from my OP. I do not think anybody is paying any
attention to any of those 8 other libraries, and the PRs for Embarcadero
C++ clang-based compilers are all no-brainers which have zero affect on
the logic of any of those 8 libraries.