Quantcast

[config] msvc-14.1 and C++14 constexpr

Boost - Dev mailing list
So.... MSVC-14.1 (2017) sort of supports C++14 constexpr. However, it is
also prone to internal compiler errors, and currently does not compile
config_test.cpp unless we set BOOST_NO_CXX14_CONSTEXPR.  Does anyone
have a view on which way this macro should be set?

Thanks, John.

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: [config] msvc-14.1 and C++14 constexpr

Boost - Dev mailing list
[John Maddock]
> So.... MSVC-14.1 (2017) sort of supports C++14 constexpr.
> However, it is also prone to internal compiler errors, and
> currently does not compile config_test.cpp unless we set
> BOOST_NO_CXX14_CONSTEXPR.

Please report constexpr ICEs now (with preprocessed repros), so we can fix them for the first VS 2017 toolset Update. Report A Problem in the IDE is a convenient way.

As a special favor to Boost developers, I will file constexpr ICEs in our internal database, if you send me a zipped preprocessed repro and corresponding command line to compile the preprocessed file.

Thanks,
STL

On Monday, March 13, 2017, John Maddock wrote:

> So.... MSVC-14.1 (2017) sort of supports C++14 constexpr. However, it is
> also prone to internal compiler errors, and currently does not compile
> config_test.cpp unless we set BOOST_NO_CXX14_CONSTEXPR.  Does anyone have a
> view on which way this macro should be set?

For the 1.64.0 release, at least, I think the safer thing is to define
BOOST_NO_CXX14_CONSTEXPR.

Glen

John Maddock wrote:

> So.... MSVC-14.1 (2017) sort of supports C++14 constexpr. However, it is
> also prone to internal compiler errors, and currently does not compile
> config_test.cpp unless we set BOOST_NO_CXX14_CONSTEXPR.  Does anyone have
> a view on which way this macro should be set?

Even C++11 constexpr doesn't quite work. I just tried mp11's tests and the
constexpr implementation of

https://github.com/pdimov/mp11/blob/master/include/boost/mp11/detail/mp_count.hpp

still doesn't compile.