[cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

[cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?

Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.

The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its archives.

Whereas, there has been lots of activity in development of CMake for
various aspects:
to use CMake inside Boost. to use CMake to build Boost, etc.
That is https://github.com/boost-cmake where, in particular,
I'm interested in https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm

Where can I ask *technical* questions about those
to avoid polluting wrong list?

Best regards.

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
Le 19/03/2018 à 13:01, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
>
> Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
> I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
>
> The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its archives.
>

> Whereas, there has been lots of activity in development of CMake for
> various aspects:
> to use CMake inside Boost. to use CMake to build Boost, etc.
> That is https://github.com/boost-cmake where, in particular,
> I'm interested in https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm
>
> Where can I ask *technical* questions about those
> to avoid polluting wrong list?
>
> Best regards.

I would like to point this as well:
https://github.com/raffienficiaud/boost-cmake

(my own, humble attempt).

How easy is it to create a ML?

Raffi

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 22 March 2018 at 09:12, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 19/03/2018 à 13:01, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :
>>
>> TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
>>
>> Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
>> I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
>>
>> The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its
>> archives.
>>

>> Whereas, there has been lots of activity in development of CMake for
>> various aspects:
>> to use CMake inside Boost. to use CMake to build Boost, etc.
>> That is https://github.com/boost-cmake where, in particular,
>> I'm interested in https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm
>>
>> Where can I ask *technical* questions about those
>> to avoid polluting wrong list?
>
> I would like to point this as well:
> https://github.com/raffienficiaud/boost-cmake

Thanks for the pointer.

Facing abundance of CMake for Boost attempts, we may need a comparison matrix ;)

> How easy is it to create a ML?

One exists already, or you mean different one?

Le 22/03/2018 à 09:29, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :

> On 22 March 2018 at 09:12, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Le 19/03/2018 à 13:01, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :
>>>
>>> TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
>>>
>>> Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
>>> I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
>>>
>>> The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its
>>> archives.
>>>

>>> Whereas, there has been lots of activity in development of CMake for
>>> various aspects:
>>> to use CMake inside Boost. to use CMake to build Boost, etc.
>>> That is https://github.com/boost-cmake where, in particular,
>>> I'm interested in https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm
>>>
>>> Where can I ask *technical* questions about those
>>> to avoid polluting wrong list?
>>
>> I would like to point this as well:
>> https://github.com/raffienficiaud/boost-cmake
>
> Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Facing abundance of CMake for Boost attempts, we may need a comparison matrix ;)
>
>> How easy is it to create a ML?
>
> One exists already, or you mean different one?

Right!

The ML is still there, I agree that we should discuss those things in
another place.

My attempt is pretty advanced as all libraries can be more or less
visible on an IDE without much effort. I do not require from a library
author much for adapting the library to cmake, only a couple of
variables, and some dependency definition.

I was stuck on the handling of the stdlib static libraries, required for
instance for the libICU linking in regex. This is not handled well by
cmake, and requires changing the compilation definitions, which I would
like to avoid.

I have also "some" unit testing of those cmake files, and a quickbook
target that I need to finish.

I am willing to get this done :)

Cheers,
Raffi

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 22 March 2018 at 09:43, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 22/03/2018 à 09:29, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :
>> On 22 March 2018 at 09:12, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> How easy is it to create a ML?
>>
>> One exists already, or you mean different one?
>

> Right!
>
> The ML is still there, I agree that we should discuss those things in
> another place.

Next time I have CMake in/for Boost question, I'll post it to boost-cmake ML.

> I do not require from a library author muchfor adapting the library to
cmake, only a couple of variables, and some dependency definition.

Sounds good.

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

> On Mar 19, 2018, at 7:01 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
>
> Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
> I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
>
> The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its archives.
>

> Whereas, there has been lots of activity in development of CMake for
> various aspects:
> to use CMake inside Boost. to use CMake to build Boost, etc.
> That is https://github.com/boost-cmake where, in particular,
> I'm interested in https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm
>
> Where can I ask *technical* questions about those
> to avoid polluting wrong list?

You can always open an issue on bcm github if you like. I was completely unaware of the boost-cmake ML.

Paul

On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 00:13 P F, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On Mar 19, 2018, at 7:01 AM, Mateusz Loskot via Boost <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
> >
> > Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
> > I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
> >
> > The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its
> archives.
> >

> > Whereas, there has been lots of activity in development of CMake for
> > various aspects:
> > to use CMake inside Boost. to use CMake to build Boost, etc.
> > That is https://github.com/boost-cmake where, in particular,
> > I'm interested in https://github.com/boost-cmake/bcm
> >
> > Where can I ask *technical* questions about those
> > to avoid polluting wrong list?
>
> You can always open an issue on bcm github if you like.

Good to know, thanks

I was completely unaware of the boost-cmake ML

It seems a bit hidden from the front page, one has to browse lists.boost.org
for full list of MLs.

--
Mateusz Loskot, [hidden email]
(Sent from mobile)

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list

A bit of judicious selective cross-posting to the user or developer lists might bring progress (or snags) with Cmake to a wider
public?

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

On 23 March 2018 at 10:37, Paul A. Bristow via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Mateusz Loskot via Boost
>>> On Fri, 23 Mar 2018, 00:13 P F, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I was completely unaware of the boost-cmake ML
>>>

>> It seems a bit hidden from the front page, one has to browse lists.boost.org
>> for full list of MLs.
>
> A bit of judicious selective cross-posting to the user or developer lists might bring progress (or snags) with Cmake to a wider
> public?

Valid point. I understand that may be the case indeed.

OTOH, I think, the CMake has become a delicate topic in Boost.
Every time I want to ask about any kind of use of CMake in Boost,
I fear that will make the snowball rolling down the hill, again :)

For instance, I wish Boost offered CMake support library, review eg.
BCM and let it in.
I'm not speaking of building Boost with CMake, no!
I mean joint development of support scripts for Modern CMake
which are useful for those Boost library developers who wish to add CMake
configuration (along the official BB2), for convenience.
I think such bunch of Boost for CMake scripts would foster better
common practices.

Currently, there is bunch of CMake-enabled libraries, each developed
in isolation,
each using different conventions, techniques, custom macros, modules.

Lately, I was adding CMake setup for Boost.GIL.
It made me wondering why the BCM thing is not in boost/tools/bcm.

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list

Of course, those who developed the b2/bjam build system are committed to 'their baby'.

And they are also *entirely busy* with the really vital task of keeping our current build and test system going.  This is why *they*
are just not able to contribute much to CMake.  (No time for snowballing rolling either ;-)

Another 'Band of Brothers' must get CMake working, and your suggestions below sound a good starting step to 'get the ball rolling' -
uphill!

Good luck!

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow
Prizet Farmhouse
Kendal UK LA8 8AB
+44 (0) 1539 561830

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

[I'm attempting to set replies to [hidden email]; we'll
see if it works or if the list software rewrites my header.]

In article <CABUeae_NH8TsFRPYOhKjjrS=6BqOfuoG=[hidden email]>,
    Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> writes:

> For instance, I wish Boost offered CMake support library, review eg.
> BCM and let it in.
> I'm not speaking of building Boost with CMake, no!
> I mean joint development of support scripts for Modern CMake
> which are useful for those Boost library developers who wish to add CMake
> configuration (along the official BB2), for convenience.
> I think such bunch of Boost for CMake scripts would foster better
> common practices.

OK, I'd consider myself moderately familiar with CMake, but by no
means an expert.  However, when I read the above paragraph, I have no
idea what you are talking about.  Can you be more specific?
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list

> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Richard via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> [I'm attempting to set replies to [hidden email]; we'll
> see if it works or if the list software rewrites my header.]
>
> In article <CABUeae_NH8TsFRPYOhKjjrS=6BqOfuoG=[hidden email]>,
>   Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> For instance, I wish Boost offered CMake support library, review eg.
>> BCM and let it in.
>> I'm not speaking of building Boost with CMake, no!
>> I mean joint development of support scripts for Modern CMake
>> which are useful for those Boost library developers who wish to add CMake
>> configuration (along the official BB2), for convenience.
>> I think such bunch of Boost for CMake scripts would foster better
>> common practices.
>
> OK, I'd consider myself moderately familiar with CMake, but by no
> means an expert.  However, when I read the above paragraph, I have no
> idea what you are talking about.  Can you be more specific?

I think he is talking about installing usage requirements(ie confi.cmake file or pkgconfig files).

Or perhaps he is referring to the general utilities it provides for setting up tests among other things?

Paul

On 24 March 2018 at 03:10, P F via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Mar 23, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Richard via Boost <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> [I'm attempting to set replies to [hidden email]; we'll
>> see if it works or if the list software rewrites my header.]

[Looks like the latter. I CC'ed this response of mine to
[hidden email] to
leave trace of this thread
(https://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2018/03/241796.php) in the
archive there]

>> In article <CABUeae_NH8TsFRPYOhKjjrS=6BqOfuoG=[hidden email]>,
>>   Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>>> For instance, I wish Boost offered CMake support library, review eg.
>>> BCM and let it in.
>>> I'm not speaking of building Boost with CMake, no!
>>> I mean joint development of support scripts for Modern CMake
>>> which are useful for those Boost library developers who wish to add CMake
>>> configuration (along the official BB2), for convenience.
>>> I think such bunch of Boost for CMake scripts would foster better
>>> common practices.
>>
>> OK, I'd consider myself moderately familiar with CMake, but by no
>> means an expert.  However, when I read the above paragraph, I have no
>> idea what you are talking about.  Can you be more specific?
>
> I think he is talking about installing usage requirements(ie confi.cmake file or pkgconfig files).
>
> Or perhaps he is referring to the general utilities it provides for setting up tests among other things?

Currently, I mean the latter - during my initial attempts aimed to
allow use of CMake
Boost.GIL development, building tests and examples, etc.

I also guess if there is common CMake scripts module, then
libs/hof doesn't have to maintain local copy of BCMTest.cmake
libs/callable_traits doesn't have to write macro callable_traits_append_flag
libs/hana also doesn't have to write macro macro setflag
and peraps host copy of CheckCxxCompilerSupport.cmake

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Le 19/03/2018 à 13:01, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :

> Hi,
>
> TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
>
> Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
> I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
>
> The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its archives.

I am not able to post there (although I am subscribing to the list). I
am trying trough GMane.

Raffi

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
On 31 March 2018 at 08:00, Raffi Enficiaud via Boost
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Le 19/03/2018 à 13:01, Mateusz Loskot via Boost a écrit :
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> TL;TR: Which is the right mailing list to discuss CMake in Boost?
>>
>> Numerous CMake discussions happened here lately which,
>> I think, were mostly about the grand Boost vs CMake strategy, politics.
>>
>> The boost-cmake ml has been quiet for years now, according to its
>> archives.
>>

> I am not able to post there (although I am subscribing to the list). I am
> trying trough GMane.

Despite I'm subscribed too, my message didn't make it through.

Re: [cmake] Where to discuss CMake in Boost?

Boost - Dev mailing list
In article <[hidden email]>,
    Mateusz Loskot via Boost <[hidden email]> writes:

> Despite I'm subscribed too, my message didn't make it through.

Same here.  The list says I'm subscribed, but I've never gotten a
message from it.

Can someone at boost please look at this?
            The Terminals Wiki <http://terminals-wiki.org>