cint C++ interpreter

beet
Hi there,

just a short note to say that with cint (see
http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT) there is quite a powefull
C/C++ **interpreter** . It can be linked with existing libraries, and
interpreted code can access library functions. Hence it would be feasible
to create a C++ binding, giving applications the ability to use C++ as a
macro language. cint, written by Masaharu Goto, is extremely portable. See
here http://root.cern.ch/viewcvs/COPYING?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=CINT for the
license conditions.

Best Regards,
Ruediger

Re: cint C++ interpreter

David Abrahams

on Mon Jun 11 2007, Ruediger Berlich <ruediger.berlich-AT-iwr.fzk.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> just a short note to say that with cint (see
> http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT) there is quite a powefull
> C/C++ **interpreter** . It can be linked with existing libraries, and
> interpreted code can access library functions. Hence it would be feasible
> to create a C++ binding, giving applications the ability to use C++ as a
> macro language. cint, written by Masaharu Goto, is extremely portable. See
> here http://root.cern.ch/viewcvs/COPYING?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=CINT for the
> license conditions.

FWIW, as the site says, "CINT covers about 95% of ANSI C and 85% of C++"

--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: cint C++ interpreter

beet
David Abrahams wrote:

> on Mon Jun 11 2007, Ruediger Berlich <ruediger.berlich-AT-iwr.fzk.de>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> just a short note to say that with cint (see
>> http://root.cern.ch/twiki/bin/view/ROOT/CINT) there is quite a powefull
>> C/C++ **interpreter** . It can be linked with existing libraries, and
>> interpreted code can access library functions. Hence it would be feasible
>> to create a C++ binding, giving applications the ability to use C++ as a
>> macro language. cint, written by Masaharu Goto, is extremely portable.
>> See here http://root.cern.ch/viewcvs/COPYING?rev=HEAD&cvsroot=CINT for
>> the license conditions.
>
> FWIW, as the site says, "CINT covers about 95% of ANSI C and 85% of C++"

Yes, it says this since years. But my experience with cint is that there
aren't many limitations. IMHO the "85%" statement just hasn't been updated
since a long time. The site also says that the interpreter can interpret
its own 60000 lines of C code and let the interpreted interpreter run a
(simple) program.

ROOT (root.cern.ch) is the standard analysis tool in elementary particle
physics (e.g. used extensively by the Large Hadron Collider experiments).
ROOT is based on cint. So cint is in production use.

Best,
Ruediger