building regex (extracted with bcp)

Orhun Birsoy

I am trying to build the regex library which is extracted by the bcp
utility.
What I did:
- extract the regex library
C:\Development\3rdParty\boost_1_33_1>bcp regex c:\development\temp\regex

- build it
C:\Development\temp\regex\libs\regex\build>bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-8_0"
"-sPYTHON_ROOT=C:\Program Files\Python24" "-sPYTHON_VERSION=2.4"
--libdir=C:\development\temp\boost80\lib\ --includedir=C:\development\temp\boost80\include\boost80
--builddir=c:\development\temp\boost80\tmp install
Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find "boost-build.jam"
Attempted search from C:\Development\temp\regex\libs\regex\build up to the
root

Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.

Now it looks like it needs several jam files in order to build. Are the
make files only way to build the regex library extracted with bcp?

--
Orhun Birsoy

Re: building regex (extracted with bcp)

David Abrahams
"Orhun Birsoy" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I am trying to build the regex library which is extracted by the bcp
> utility.
> What I did:
> - extract the regex library
> C:\Development\3rdParty\boost_1_33_1>bcp regex c:\development\temp\regex
>
> - build it
> C:\Development\temp\regex\libs\regex\build>bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-8_0"
> "-sPYTHON_ROOT=C:\Program Files\Python24" "-sPYTHON_VERSION=2.4"
> --libdir=C:\development\temp\boost80\lib\ --includedir=C:\development\temp\boost80\include\boost80
> --builddir=c:\development\temp\boost80\tmp install
> Unable to load Boost.Build: could not find "boost-build.jam"
> Attempted search from C:\Development\temp\regex\libs\regex\build up to the
> root
>
> Please consult the documentation at 'http://www.boost.org'.
>

> Now it looks like it needs several jam files in order to build. Are the
> make files only way to build the regex library extracted with bcp?

Just add a file called boost-build.jam somewhere in or above the directory
where you're invoking bjam, containing

      boost-build path/to/boost/tools/build/v1 ;

where path/to/boost/tools/build/v1 is a path indicating a copy of the
tools/build/v1 subdirectory of the full boost tree.

HTH,
--
Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

Re: building regex (extracted with bcp)

John Maddock
> I am trying to build the regex library which is extracted by the bcp
> utility.
> What I did:
> Now it looks like it needs several jam files in order to build. Are
> the
> make files only way to build the regex library extracted with bcp?

bcp only extracts sources by default (Boost.Build is quite large in itself).

You can get all of Boost.Build as well by specifying "build" as the name of
one of the modules to copy:

bcp regex build destination-path

However it still doesn't copy the couple of files needed in the root
directory (just copy manually everything beginning with a J  !), which is a
bug I will fix.

John.