boost::uuid

John Emmas
Hello there,

I'm developing an app (originally written for Linux) which uses some
UUID functionality that originally came from a set of e2fs utilities for
Linux.  I'm porting the app to Windows so naturally, the e2fs stuff
doesn't build.  I need to find a UUID implemntation that's more
cross-platform - and of course, the obvious one to try is boost::uuid.

I first installed boost when it was at version 1.40 (1-2 years ago?)
Anyway, my installed version doesn't include UUID so I decided to update
to a more recent version.  The most recent Windows installer I could
find was for version 1.51, from BoostPro:-

http://www.boostpro.com/download/

Unfortunately, it probably isn't the absolute latest because BoostPro is
apparently now discontinued - but it should be recent enough to include
the UUID modules.  From what I can gather, boost::uuid has been around
since at least version 1.42.  However, I hit a couple of problems:-

1) Firstly, I seem to get errors, no matter which mirror I use. I'll try
again later, in case the errors go away.

2) Despite the errors, something does seem to get downloaded. However,
rather than installing all the source files / DLLs etc, I just get a
subdirectory called "lib" which contains a bunch of zip files (over
100).  My original (1.40) installation seemed to unpack everything for me.

3) AFAICT even ver 1.51 doesn't include any UUID functionality. There
was nothing for UUID that was selectable in the installer - and none of
the modules look like UUID.  I seem to have boost::regex,
boost::filesystem, boost:date_time and a whole load of other stuff - but
no boost::uuid :-(

I then came across this web page which seems to suggest that all I need
to do is add one header file to my existing installation
(boost/uuid.hpp).  Am I over-thinking this?? Is that all there is to
it??  Thanks.

John

Re: boost::uuid

pabristow

Biist.UUID is entirely header files - you do not need (and probably should not have) any static or
dynamic/shared library files as provided previously by BoostPro to use Boost.UUID.

You should download the more recent release of Boost files as described in

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/more/getting_started/index.html

in

\boost_1_54_0\boost\uuid\uuid_*.hpp  etc

you will find the files that you need for UUID.

(These in turn rely on other Boost files, so you are living dangerously if you try to just pick out
the files you need from the Boost 1.54 distribution!  You have been warned.  Unzip the whole 1.54
distribution.)

http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/libs/uuid/uuid.html tells you all about it.

HTH

Paul

---
Paul A. Bristow,
Prizet Farmhouse, Kendal LA8 8AB  UK
+44 1539 561830  07714330204

Re: boost::uuid

Igor R.
> I'm developing an app (originally written for Linux) which uses some UUID
> functionality that originally came from a set of e2fs utilities for Linux.
> I'm porting the app to Windows so naturally, the e2fs stuff doesn't build.
> I need to find a UUID implemntation that's more cross-platform - and of
> course, the obvious one to try is boost::uuid.
>
> I first installed boost when it was at version 1.40 (1-2 years ago?)
> Anyway, my installed version doesn't include UUID so I decided to update to
> a more recent version.  The most recent Windows installer I could find was
> for version 1.51, from BoostPro:-
> http://www.boostpro.com/download/

Building Boost with MSVC is really simple. Just open command-prompt,
cd to the directory where you unzipped boost, and invoke "bootstrap",
then "b2 --build-type=complete stage". You'll find all the binaries in
stage\lib directory.
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/more/getting_started/windows.html#invoke-b2

<...>

> 3) AFAICT even ver 1.51 doesn't include any UUID functionality. There was
> nothing for UUID that was selectable in the installer - and none of the
> modules look like UUID.  I seem to have boost::regex, boost::filesystem,
> boost:date_time and a whole load of other stuff - but no boost::uuid :-(

UUID is header-only library, so you don't need to build it, and I
guess the installer lists only the libraries that have to be pre-built
(all the header-only libs are installed anyway).
Just #include the appropriate header-files.

Re: boost::uuid

John Emmas
On 11/07/2013 14:33, Paul A. Bristow wrote:

>> You should download the more recent release of Boost files as described in
>>
>> http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_54_0/more/getting_started/index.html

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I just downloaded those 1.54 files and i hope to take a good look at
them tomorrow.

John