[boost.test] Colors

Boost - Users mailing list
Ahoi!

I use boost.test and have now updated to boost v1.68 on Windows, working in standard console. Now Test has colored output, YEAH. The result you see in the picture https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/36193998/no_error_detected.png
Notice that I don't use the standard color scheme.
With set BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT=1 text is light green on gray, bad to read. set BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT=0 does black on gray. After that the colors are set to my scheme.
Now error result with set BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT=1: https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/36193997/failure.png
Light red on gray, OK to read, but reset to dark red on gray. I have to use the color command to reset the colors.
With command line options it's all the same.
Hmmm, how useful can colors be, if the standard output (no error detected) is only one short line?

Both pics on https://www.pic-upload.de/gal-1197957/om664y/1.html
--
Fahrradverkehr in Deutschland: http://radwege.udoline.de/
GPG: A245 F153 0636 6E34 E2F3  E1EB 817A B14D 3E7E 482E

Re: [boost.test] Colors

Boost - Users mailing list
On 31.10.18 10:00, Udo Steinbach via Boost-users wrote:

> Ahoi!
>
> I use boost.test and have now updated to boost v1.68 on Windows, working in standard console. Now Test has colored output, YEAH. The result you see in the picture https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/36193998/no_error_detected.png
> Notice that I don't use the standard color scheme.
> With set BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT=1 text is light green on gray, bad to read. set BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT=0 does black on gray. After that the colors are set to my scheme.
> Now error result with set BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT=1: https://www2.pic-upload.de/img/36193997/failure.png
> Light red on gray, OK to read, but reset to dark red on gray. I have to use the color command to reset the colors.
> With command line options it's all the same.
> Hmmm, how useful can colors be, if the standard output (no error detected) is only one short line?
>
> Both pics on https://www.pic-upload.de/gal-1197957/om664y/1.html

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, I am not reading this list quite often and I
suggest you open an issue next time on GitHub :)

For the colors issue, there was a bug in 1.68 that was not resetting the
colors properly, and this was fixed in 1.69. Now the color scheme is not
at best for your setup indeed. I worked on this with the default scheme
on Windows. I am happy to receive any suggestions to improve this!

Thanks,
Raffi

Re: [boost.test] Colors

Boost - Users mailing list
On Thu, 21 Feb 2019 at 17:22, Udo Steinbach via Boost-users
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Am 2019-02-20 um 22:38 schrieb Raffi Enficiaud via Boost-users:
>
> > open an issue next time on GitHub
>
> I try to avoid registration on free services.

FYI, GitHub also offers paid account.

Re: [boost.test] Colors

On 21.02.19 17:22, Udo Steinbach via Boost-users wrote:
> Am 2019-02-20 um 22:38 schrieb Raffi Enficiaud via Boost-users:
>> and this was fixed in 1.69
>
> I have read it, but was so far been too lazy to compile it.
> I think that colors may help with many lines of output, and only then. But
> the default output of boost::test should be OK, one line. Everything else
> needs attention, also no colors needed.

You can set an environment variable globally if you want to avoid the
default behaviour. See

https://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_69_0/libs/test/doc/html/boost_test/utf_reference/rt_param_reference/color_output.html

The variable BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT is there for your need.

> If you want color, you have to handle colors complete, not only 'red here,
> green that'. Maybe console setup or unsuitable combinations or color
> blindness (system in high contrast mode) or remote console or whatever that
> you have to take into account.

Right, so your problem is rather the color scheme of Boost.Test that is
not playing well with your color scheme. It is true that I did not
adjusted the background and I made the hypothesis of the default one.

> Because color is not needed for test AND handling colors is not easy,
> default should be colorless mode.

I respectfully disagree with this statement. I personally like having
color outputs, and combining this with log levels let me parse a big
amount of information/logs significantly faster.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gustibus_non_est_disputandum

>> open an issue next time on GitHub
>
> I try to avoid registration on free services.

I am fine with that. I still consult this list, although in a less
regular manner.

If the variable BOOST_TEST_COLOR_OUTPUT is good enough for you, or if
you want an improvement, let me know.

Best,
Raffi